What's new

My B&K amp is causing a buzz in my speaker. Can anyonye help? (1 Viewer)

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I've got a B&K st2140 amp which I use to bi-amp my Polk Audio speakers. The B&K amp is causing a buzz in the right speaker. I know it is the amp because I have diconnected everything until I figured out it was that amp. I've used diferent types of wires, speakers, outlets everything I could think of and yet the buzz continues. It is a faint sound.

Idon't know if it matters but here is my list:

Marantz SR6200 receiver

B&K ST6200 amp

Polk Audio RT800I main

Polk Audio RT600I rears

Polk Audio CS350LS Center

Polk Audio PSW450 sub

Monster cable HTS2000 power center

Other than the buzzing the system sounds sweet, but the buzzing is really getting to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Luis A

Second Unit
Scott,
Have you tried switching your right speaker with your left?
Also, is your amp plugged into the surge protector? If it is you should try bypassing the HTS-2000, and plug the amp in to the wall to see if the buzz goes away.
Does the right speaker buzz even if there is no signal going to it?
Do you have cable connected into your surge?
Have you tried plugging in, and turning on, the amp with nothing else hooked up except the speakers you are using with it? This way for sure you should be able to tell if it is your amp.
This all I can think of for now. Let us know how it goes.:)
L

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I have switched the speakers left to right vice/verca.

I did not bypass the surge protector. The only three pronged outlet I have in this apartment is in the kitchen so I have to run a power cord across the room to plug the power center in. This weekend I will try to bypass it like you suggest. Also I do have the cable running thru the power center. Does that make a differance? I can fix that tonight.

Yes the right speaker does buzz with no signal.

Yes one of the first thing I tried was disconnecting everything to narrow down what was causing the buzz. I even disconnected the amp from the receiver but I still got the buzz.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to bypass the surge protector this weekend and let you all know what the results are.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
The only three pronged outlet I have in this apartment is in the kitchen so I have to run a power cord across the room to plug the power center in.
IMO, this is probably the crux of your problem. Refigerators are notorious for causing noise.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
Turns out that it was the refrigerator. How can I fix this. Icant unplug the fridge, and I only have one set of three pronged outlets?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Move?????? LOL Just kidding. :)
It isn't going to be cheap, I can tell you that, whatever you do.
I would start with a noise isolator.
http://www.elect-spec.com/isotran.htm
There was one that I remember being fairly inexpensive for like $199 somewhere, and it was specifically made for your problem, I just can't remember the link right now. I will try to find it, and post it here when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks