What's new

Music Only (1 Viewer)

I know this is HT, not stereo. So, if you are going to tell me not to post here; please be kind. Besides, I'm very grateful for everyones help w/ helping me with my Paradigm setup. My neighbors are not so grateful.

I'm interested in setting up a 100%, 2-channel setup for a formal living room (no tv).

I have two questions:
- To sub or not to sub? I do listen to a wide range of music so basic extension is important to me. The second important thing is for quick sharp bass; my Paradigm PS1000 is slow and boomy.
- Which speakers? This will probably depend on question no. one.

My budget is flexable, but I'd like to keep it under 2k.

Thanks,
Eric

MikeTrotter

Agent
For subs under 2000,there is a wide range.What have you auditioned so far?What is the max size enclosure your looking for?

Nothing withing the last year and a half. Should I even be looking at subs if I am looking for 100% music? What subs (type and/or brands) perform better for music?

DanaA

Screenwriter
First off, don't worry at all about posting here. It's about speakers, not just home theater speakers.

I'm a little confused. Are you talking 2K for just a sub, or for just speakers, or for the whole setup?

As far as musical subs, Adire has a good reputation in this regard, as does ACI. I'm sure there are more, but this will get you started. I use a Hsu sub and like it, but probably will eventually end up with an ACI, just because I love the company and their products. I will disclaim that I haven't heard either firsthand, but am going by what others have said. Both are internet only companies and thus it is hard to audition. But, that's the risk I took with their speakers and I'm floated on cloud nine with the joy I get listening to them.

ACI is closed for revamping the next few days, but I'll link them anyway. I will say that the front speakers I have and enjoy so much are the Sapphires. Do a search here and at other forums and you'll read a lot of great things about both their speakers and subs. DO NOT rely on just what I have to say.

Anyway, a link: ACI LINK

I wanted to keep the whole setup under 2k. That is why I was considering speakers that can handle a wide range of music w/o the sub.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I personally would buy better speakers and skip the sub. But, since i am going with a HT setup, i got an SVS, and i find it very valuable to have with music, so now I'm torn. I still think i'd put that $ towards better speakers, but it's a tough call. I think you should go do some auditioning, and see what you like.

Again, is that 2K for everything? just speakers (and maybe sub)?

What equipment do you have already? We don't want you to end up with some GREAT 2K speakers, and some crummy old cd player+reciever that won't do them justice.

You'd be surprised, some speaker can crank out very solid amounts of bass, such that you may be satisfied without a sub (depends on your listening preferences).

As for your paragidm setup, I'm confused. You're building a second 2-channel only setup? Well... I guess i asked more than i answered, but we'll all be able to help you more this way anyway. :b

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I would go for some used Martin Logan SL3's for main speakers. These do not need a sub for music, I might still want one, but it does not need one. You can find them used for about $1,500 to $1,800.

Jeff

Steve_D

Second Unit
The entire 2 channel setup for $2K or just speakers for $2k? How big is the room? Can the stereo set-up dominate the room (probably not in a formal living room)?

Chris makes great points...I wouldn't hook Maggies up to a receiver in a small room that you use for other purposes, for instance.

I've somehow spawned some confusion.

I have a very nice Paradigm HT setup in my basement, I use that room 100% for movies and Monday night football.

I'd like music on the main floor in my living room, I have no TV in there; I will never have a need for anything beyond 2 channels. So, I'm looking for a full setup minus a CD player for under 2K. I'd personally prefer to not have a sub if there is a set of speakers that will due the trick.

Is my price range too far out of whack?

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
If I were to spend $2000 on a music system only, this is what I would do...

$1,200 for a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i's

$650 to $850 for a integrated Jolida tube amp, here is a link to one that sold on Audiogon Jolida 302b

Just plug your cd player into the tube amp and you're done.

That would be some serious sound.

I am planning on getting this amp to run my Martin Logans.

Jeff

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I'm probably in the minority here, but if I were setting up a stereo system for 2K, I would spend my money on a speaker and sub combo.

Low freq stuff is not reserved only for movies and pipe organs. Do some research and find out how low bass/kick drums, pianos, and bass guitars can go. hint: Pretty darn low. We hear these intruments all the time in our music, but most home (and car) systems can't reproduce much of this material or they distort trying.

--Steve

John Royster

Screenwriter
at a 2K budget I'd avoid a sub altogether as well. A capable sub is going to run you 1000 anyway.

jolida or krell integrated amp used, some speakers on the used market (maggies) and a good source should get your started.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
From your first post :

I do listen to a wide range of music so basic extension is important to me.
This tells me that you need a sub. And no, you do not need to spend $1000 to get a sub worthy of a quality 2 channel setup. A DIY sealed Shiva or Tempest is a great option if you've got some tools and interest. Otherwise, look at adire rava, Hsu VTF2, and SVS 25-31 CS (the latter powered with an old flea market reciever or amp). All of these options are under $500. Next, a used integrated amp from NAD, Creek or a new one from Sony or Yamaha. There is a nice powerful Sony stereo integrated amp on sale at BB or CC (I forget) in today's flyer. This leaves about $1200 for a pair of main speakers. Since you will have the sub, these mains will only need to be good down to 45 or 50 Hz. The bang for buck configuration in this price range is 2 ways in a bookshelf sized cabinet.

If your room is acoustically bad (and most are), leave $125 in the budget for a BFD.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Ok here is a pretty sweet system that is going to be high on WAF and give you some great engaging sound.

Start with some really nice single driver Fostex modified Voight Pipe design speakers, the Cain & Cain Abby for $1500

Cain & Cain Abby Review
Here is a picture of the Abby's in a nice living room environment.

Now to power the speakers, I have a few suggestions, and I am afraid all are slightly going to raise the total cost above $2000 but not by much.

First you could build your own amps and preamp from
Bottlehead. These can also be ordered pre-built as well, for a little more. You would need to get the Foreplay preamp which sells as a kit for $150 or pre-built for $250 or so.
Then get their 2A3 tube monoblock Paramour amps for about $500 as a kit. If you don't want to build your own there is currently a pair selling on Audiogon that look fantastic and the seller is offering warranty support for $600.

Bottlehead Paramour Audiogon ad
Here is a picture of someone who uses this very same combo.
http://img.audioasylum.com/cgi/i.pl?...yroomstevo.jpg

My second suggestion would be to power them with amps from Sophia Electric , makers of great tubes.
You could get the Sophia Electric Baby Amp for $799.

Enjoy the Music Baby Amp review
or you could get the next level of amp from Sophia Electric for little more by buying this demo model of thier El34 Push-pull design amp for $890.
Sophia Electric El34 amp Audiogon ad

Both of these amps are basic integrated models, so no preamp is needed.

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, here are my 2 cents.

You will need a sub. Like someone said, if this is largely for music, you will need a small Q sealed sub. So, here is what I would suggest.

Go to Link Removed and talk to Brian (great guy)

Have him build you a set of GR Research Criterions with the new crossover. If you do not want ribbons then the GR AV-2 would be a good choice. Talk to him about the new sub he is building with the AV12 driver.

Other than that, I would go with DanaA suggestion of the ACI setup. It is really sweet too.

With all of those pictures I suspect Scott wasn't making suggestions, he just wanted to show off his stuff.

It worked, I'm impressed!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d consider the Onix Reference 1s. $1,500 a pair, they are monitors and are flat to about the last octave, so unless you listen to pipe organs they should do fine. An alternative would be a pair of the Rocket 750s at $1,400, also flat to the last octave. These are floor standing speakers.

I’ve auditioned both of these and find the Rockets to be a bit more laid back (or the Refs a bit more forward). Pretty much which style you prefer. Both have beautiful cabinet work, that should be just fine in a formal living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks