What's new

Ms Kalas at Paramount posted they restored a Clara Bow film! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
“IT” 1927 d. Clarence Badger features Clara Bow at her ground-breaking best. We restored it with great care and I’ll introduce it Dec 15 at the Academy Museum

Blu Ray?

1670801462115.png

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Interesting. If my memory is correct, Paul Killiam purchased the rights to It from Paramount in the 1950s or 1960s. I wonder if Paramount somehow regained the rights or is taking advantage of the fact that the film will be going PD in a couple of weeks.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Interesting. If my memory is correct, Paul Killiam purchased the rights to It from Paramount in the 1950s or 1960s. I wonder if Paramount somehow regained the rights or is taking advantage of the fact that the film will be going PD in a couple of weeks.
Interesting PD soon? Can they copyright a restoration

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Interesting PD soon? Can they copyright a restoration
That's the million dollar question that has yet to be literally litigated, and to be honest that might be more expensive than it's really worth to find out. Music scores can certainly be copyrighted, but it's sort of murky if things like adding tints or reconstructing title cards can be justification for a copyright. I've heard people arguing both sides. Anyway, fingers crossed that we might see this restoration as a Paramount Presents entry or a Kino license.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's the million dollar question that has yet to be literally litigated, and to be honest that might be more expensive than it's really worth to find out. Music scores can certainly be copyrighted, but it's sort of murky if things like adding tints or reconstructing title cards can be justification for a copyright. I've heard people arguing both sides. Anyway, fingers crossed that we might see this restoration as a Paramount Presents entry or a Kino license.
A restoration cannot be copyrighted.

Changes to the film to create a higher quality restoration CAN be copyrighted, ie the creation of replacement frames, re-created fades, dissolves - basically new material.

A new music score.

Explanatory prologue.

A digital clean-up of a complete film - no.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
A restoration cannot be copyrighted.

Changes to the film to create a higher quality restoration CAN be copyrighted, ie the creation of replacement frames, re-created fades, dissolves - basically new material.

A new music score.

Explanatory prologue.

A digital clean-up of a complete film - no.
Thank you interesting stuff!

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Isn't Andrea Kalas the person that was so proud of Paramount's redo of To Catch a Thief?
Paramount’s SVP of Archives, Andrea Kalas' technical statement:
"We made every effort to accurately restore this beautifully produced film by referencing the original print throughout the process. In addition, using the original negative allowed us to minimize the need for digital noise reduction. With these facts in mind, we stand by this restoration. We continually endeavor to restore Paramount’s great films using the best technology available alongside every resource we can find to bring the original vision of the filmmakers to audiences."
https://worldwideboxoffice.com/wiki//index.php/4K_Restoration/1955/To_Catch_a_Thief

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hope it leads to more projects even for you Sir!
Everyone who tries to save silents, even the studios, have three problems - funding, finding and accessing finest quality elements, and having the best / correct technical people on a project.

Two out of three won’t cut it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Could this possibly be the second silent released as a "Paramount Presents" title after the release of The Sheik, it would be a most welcomed edition! Not enough of this early screen star, in a HD format, outside of Wings and Children of Divorce both of which I own. I know that Grapevine did 2 releases as well (Hula and Mantrap), but have held off on because I haven't seen a review for those yet, or the reviews are not favorable,

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Could this possibly be the second silent released as a "Paramount Presents" title after the release of The Sheik, it would be a most welcomed edition! Not enough of this early screen star, in a HD format, outside of Wings and Children of Divorce both of which I own. I know that Grapevine did 2 releases as well (Hula and Mantrap), but have held off on because I haven't seen a review for those yet, or the reviews are not favorable,
Having owned several Grapevine silent dvd releases, they do no restoration and many times they're just "pop & drop" to disc what ever they are able to aquire. Much in the same vein as Alpha Video does in their line of dvds.
Often times they're better than nothing, but hardly known for their restoritive hd editions.
Considering that any releases directly from the studios themselves should always be seen, or at least hoped, to be a superior product. But with Paramounts spotty track record to date, it seems to be a hope for the best but expect the worse, and reality falls somewhere in between. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the major problems of the public domain is the desire by some to get something out there to compete in a tiny marketplace.

This means that if someone has access to a used 16mm print, and that an archive is holding 35mm elements - that because of a question of access or the cost of dealing with 35mm - that 16 will hit the market, possibly negating the release of a high quality Blu-ray based upon 35.

How many times are fans going to purchase the same silent film?

The inverse applies to silents in 4k. If there's already a very high quality Blu on the market, is a 4k needed, desired, or even much better than the 2k, if at all?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
One of the major problems of the public domain is the desire by some to get something out there to compete in a tiny marketplace.

This means that if someone has access to a used 16mm print, and that an archive is holding 35mm elements - that because of a question of access or the cost of dealing with 35mm - that 16 will hit the market, possibly negating the release of a high quality Blu-ray based upon 35.

How many times are fans going to purchase the same silent film?

The inverse applies to silents in 4k. If there's already a very high quality Blu on the market, is a 4k needed, desired, or even much better than the 2k, if at all?
By the way she posted it on her linkedin page thats how I found it
Andrea Kalas
Andrea Kalas• 1stSVP Asset Management at Paramount Pictures
2d • 2 days ago

“IT” 1927 d. Clarence Badger features Clara Bow at her ground-breaking best. We restored it with great care and I’ll introduce it Dec 15 at the Academy Museum https://lnkd.in/gqv5k6G8

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Having owned several Grapevine silent dvd releases, they do no restoration and many times they're just "pop & drop" to disc what ever they are able to aquire. Much in the same vein as Alpha Video does in their line of dvds.
Often times they're better than nothing, but hardly known for their restoritive hd editions.
Considering that any releases directly from the studios themselves should always be seen, or at least hoped, to be a superior product. But with Paramounts spotty track record to date, it seems to be a hope for the best but expect the worse, and reality falls somewhere in between. ;)
Everyone who tries to save silents, even the studios, have three problems - funding, finding and accessing finest quality elements, and having the best / correct technical people on a project.

Two out of three won’t cut it.
i am not in the business, just a novice cinephile , and I very much understand what Alpha and Grapevine does, but there are other restoration efforts that should be lauded, and some of those are silent Paramount's. RAH gave a great response to their release of The Shiek which i had mentioned, and from my own personal copy, i can attest that Children of Divorce is a beautiful print, Wings of course has glowing reviews.

But there are other Paramount silents that have been released, not certain who did the heavy lifting to make it happen, but Kino/Paramount have some wonderful silent releases. Gloria Swanson, W.C. Fields, Louise Brooks, and more can all be seen in the best that they are possibly going to get. And i am thankful for that,

Silent Film isn't discussed that much here, even if that is part of the history of film, every day that you learn a little more on the subject make this "passion" more enriching, and not to steer anyone away from this forum, but occasionally check out Nitrateville, it's time well spent. :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
i am not in the business, just a novice cinephile , and I very much understand what Alpha and Grapevine does, but there are other restoration efforts that should be lauded, and some of those are silent Paramount's. RAH gave a great response to their release of The Shiek which i had mentioned, and from my own personal copy, i can attest that Children of Divorce is a beautiful print, Wings of course has glowing reviews.

But there are other Paramount silents that have been released, not certain who did the heavy lifting to make it happen, but Kino/Paramount have some wonderful silent releases. Gloria Swanson, W.C. Fields, Louise Brooks, and more can all be seen in the best that they are possibly going to get. And i am thankful for that,

Silent Film isn't discussed that much here, even if that is part of the history of film, every day that you learn a little more on the subject make this "passion" more enriching, and not to steer anyone away from this forum, but occasionally check out Nitrateville, it's time well spent. :)
We as were people back when movies began to speak lost interest in silent film thankfully people like you and RAH and many here know Silent film was a harder medium for actors - to convey emotion silently was an art

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
We as were people back when movies began to speak lost interest in silent film thankfully people like you and RAH and many here know Silent film was a harder medium for actors - to convey emotion silently was an art
You want to see true genius, watch Buster Keaton emote with a stone face.
as i said Nitrateville is a wealth of knowledge

also if interested in what silents are available in an HD format

reddit has a listing

and since this thread is about "It"

1670865369431.png

more than just a pretty face, an amazing story, that would have made a great bio picture or documentary

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I second your comment re nitrateville. Wonderful site with quality discussions.

I purposely didn’t post the Johnstown Flood quiz there, as any of their readers would have guessed it from a black frame at the tail of a fade out. Very Knowledgeable!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My hope Is this will spur a couple people to go outside of the normal thing and take a look at some of the other silent films are available. And it's not just normal films. Cartoons on Film has a wonderful series of mostly silent early animation that is just amazing with the restorations that they've done and the releases that they have.

Film history is just as important as the next big MCU release, American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, was a motion picture company founded in 1895 and the first sound film if we give credit to the Jazz Singer was 1927. A gap of 32 years, think about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks