What's new

MRX 720 Anthem (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I talked to my home theatre guy and instead of a new Marantz he's talking me into a new 720 Anthem for my new home theatre in my condo. I have no idea about this product, and was wondering if someone out there might be familiar. I looks like it has all the bells and whistles but is worth about twice as much as the Marantz.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Well, Anthem is quality stuff, but I believe you'll get less features and capability compared to a similarly priced Marantz. That being said, the 720 is Anthem's entry level model and may not have all the features you want. I'd suggest making a list of all the features you want and carefully reviewing the Anthem to see if it offers them all.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I've heard that over the past decade Marantz's quality control is not what it used to be now that it has been bought out. I have had two in the past - and have been a real fan especially for their musical ability - but haven't bought a new one in close to 20 years. I've been told that for pure musical and sound quality smaller companies are the way to go now - though the prices are stratospheric in some cases. I believe the 720 is Anthem's mid-range receiver. They also offer a 520. I need it to run Atmos, as well as DVD Audio and SACD's - so I need a good combination of movie sound as well as for various musical platforms. I hear Atmos music is coming? I have no idea what that is, but it sounds interesting

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
OK, well then the question becomes, regarding SACD and DVD-Audio playback, will you be doing that over HDMI? Or do you want to use the analog outputs of your player? If you do plan to use HDMI, as I do, does the Anthem 720 do DSD over HDMI and DVD-Audio over HDMI? All my recent receivers have been capable of doing this, including a Denon AVR-X5200W, Onkyo TX-NR809, and Yamaha RX-V1800. Now, if you want to use analog outs, you'll want to make sure that the Anthem 720 has the requisite multi-channel inputs.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Pulled the trigger and went with the 720 and two Elac Atmos speakers to add to my system. The sound is unbelievable - but I paid for it. I'm not a techie but I'm going to have to get into it again. The owners manual is slim and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks