What's new

Elac Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Added a couple of upward firing Elac Atmos speakers to my system. My receiver is an Anthem MRX 720. The system is a 5.1.2 . However the new Atmos speakers always seem to be on even when not listening to Atmos audio. The tech said it is normal for the Atmos speakers to mirror the fronts when listening to regular material. Seems o

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
There is some cases where this gets done. I will post a link that explains adding more speakers. It is from Dolby in pdf. I am a little crazy so I am going to have all 9 speakers the same. Full range and I built a center channel box and used the same drivers and crossovers as the other 8 original factory speakers. I am using an Anthem P5 statement for the floor speakers and 2 Nikko Alpha 440s for the height speakers on the ceiling. My speakers are ADS L1290/2s. My pre amp is an Anthem AVM60.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
I originally was going to use L300s for the height speakers but they were not loud enough to keep up with the floor speakers.
In the middle of a remodel so not done assembling yet. Might build smaller cabinets, of course inserting the drivers and crossovers of originals to put on the ceiling, but might just try to hang the full size originals. Wife just doesn't care for the looks. I am sure the ceiling can take the weight it is going to be new construction so the contractor could beef up where needed to support the added weight.. This is the most complete information I have come across from Dolby. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20150524_152643.jpg
    20150524_152643.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163
  • 20170411_070753.jpg
    20170411_070753.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 341

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is a Dolby Surround Upmixer at play that enhances the sound at all times - even when not solely Atmos material. Hadn't thought of hanging speakers from the ceiling. Let us know how it goes.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I will let you know. I would strongly suggest you go with down firing speakers on ceiling as long as dispersion is very wide or brackets allow swinging all directions to aim at seating position. It will sound best.
Good luck on your pursuit.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have the Elac Atmos speakers atop my KEF Q750s in a 5.0.2 system. I generally have my Yamaha 1050 on Dolby Surround for TV and films, so some sound is sent to the Elacs no matter the source. The Atmos speakers and the KEFs with the UniQ drivers have been a nice upgrade for me from some 20+ year-old JBLs. I'm amazed by the height of the soundstage and now hear some expansive sound effects even in commercials. Love the KEFs (even with my hodgepodge combo of Elac for the Atmos, center and surrounds).

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is a Dolby Surround Upmixer at play that enhances the sound at all times - even when not solely Atmos material. Hadn't thought of hanging speakers from the ceiling. Let us know how it goes.

You have to select Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X in order to use your Upfiring Dolby speakers for non-Atmos or non-DTS:X content.

Press the Mode button on your remote to see what option is selected. You can scroll through the available modes. In setup, you can also assign a default decoding mode for each input.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I have the Elac Atmos speakers atop my KEF Q750s in a 5.0.2 system. I generally have my Yamaha 1050 on Dolby Surround for TV and films, so some sound is sent to the Elacs no matter the source. The Atmos speakers and the KEFs with the UniQ drivers have been a nice upgrade for me from some 20+ year-old JBLs. I'm amazed by the height of the soundstage and now hear some expansive sound effects even in commercials. Love the KEFs (even with my hodgepodge combo of Elac for the Atmos, center and surrounds).
That's not hodge podge equipment. UniQ is sooo phase coherent know wonder you are amazed. KEF is one of the finest speaker companies there is. Almost wrote the book.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Yeah. Hadn't noticed the Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:x effect. You must be an Anthem owner? Thanks.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Added a couple of upward firing Elac Atmos speakers to my system. My receiver is an Anthem MRX 720. The system is a 5.1.2 . However the new Atmos speakers always seem to be on even when not listening to Atmos audio. The tech said it is normal for the Atmos speakers to mirror the fronts when listening to regular material. Seems o

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Another oddity. My Oppo 93 Blu-ray's sound gave out after installing a new HDMI cable recently (I know - weird). Contacted Oppo and they sent me a firmware fix. They didn't seem to think it was all that unusual. Long story short I have once again been able to enjoy my DVD Audio discs through the HDMI cable and the Elac Atmos speakers kick in. When I first heard them I thought Oh no! But in fact it sounds fantastic.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Happy 4 you. Yes I got an Anthem P5 Statement, and an Anthem AVM60. Got the amp used, 5 yrs old, for half price. AVM new full price. System speakers all ADS L1290/2s, built center channel to match, factory out of business. Using 2 Nikko Alpha 440s to power 4 ADS L300s. In process of swapping out the small speakers for 4 more 1290/2s.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Doug are you still happy with your Elac upward firing speakers? I just entered the world of Atmos so I'm looking to buy the new Debut 2.0 upward firing when they come out in the middle of April at my local Best Buy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Doug are you still happy with your Elac upward firing speakers? I just entered the world of Atmos so I'm looking to buy the new Debut 2.0 upward firing when they come out in the middle of April at my local Best Buy.
FWIW, I just got a pair of the current model on an open box special. My plan was to try them firing upward, but ultimately add another pair and surface mount them to the ceiling, aiming down. My HT is in the basement, and I can run speaker wire through the ceiling/floor pretty easily. In the meantime, it'll be easy to set up the one pair on top of my main speakers to give them a try. My main speakers are rather tall, so the top of them is well above seated ear level, so I don't expect to get much direct sound from them.

At the moment, I don't have an amp to drive more speakers, so I either need to get another amp, or temporarily configure the system from 7.1 to 5.1.2 to give it a spin. I know I'll have to add an amp anyway, so I'm inclined to just bite the bullet on that, but can't seem to decide which amp to go for. since those ELAC Atmos speakers don't go very low. I think they're rated down to 180Hz, they really shouldn't require much power, so the Emotiva A-500 should be fine, but I don't want to cheap out and regret it either. The A-5175 would be overkill, but I wouldn't have to wonder.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I just moved into a condo so mounting in the ceiling was out of the question. As a result purchasing these new Elacs was the next best option - and what a result. When positioned right the soundstage seems to float
between myself and the front speakers. They have worked very well indeed in my small space. In bigger areas you'd need another opinion. If you really want to see their effect fire up the new Blade Runner Blu-ray. It will knock your sox off.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I rent so I can't do any in-wall/ceiling speakers, and I can't run wire through the walls. I'm thinking though that I may buy a pair of SVS Elevation Prime speakers and do front height, mounting them on the wall behind the TV, near ceiling height, and point it down to the listening spot. From what I'm reading on the 'net, people seem to say direct radiating speakers are preferable to surface bouncing.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I rent so I can't do any in-wall/ceiling speakers, and I can't run wire through the walls. I'm thinking though that I may buy a pair of SVS Elevation Prime speakers and do front height, mounting them on the wall behind the TV, near ceiling height, and point it down to the listening spot. From what I'm reading on the 'net, people seem to say direct radiating speakers are preferable to surface bouncing.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

I would agree but upward firing will still give a good sound in your case. Read pg. 9-12 on this link.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the read. I have to admit the lazy factor may kick in. Not having to mount and drill and save a couple of hundred may prove too tempting.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Sometimes not worth the bother. There is so many variables. Dolby says to use absorption panels and diffusion witch just scatters the energy so the time arrival doesn't interfere with the original signal. The absorption panels take a lot of high frequencies out and not low so they act like an equalizer and screw up the balance. Unless you have a lot of time and money, I would just get the upward firing speakers. It might not be perfect but you will be unaware of the difference and the added reflections off the ceiling will give a better sound than without having Atmos.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Went ahead with the Elac debut 2.0 a4.2 purchase. Should be here this week. On a plus side I had been interested in Elac’s sound and reputation since they hit the market. This will at least give me a taste of their sound signature.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Make sure you post your results for us all. Hope it is satisfying for you. Elac has a great reputation and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks