What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mrs. Doubtfire - SE (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
A couple things.
First, I can't believe there is a Special Edition of this movie and it is non-anamorphic (R1). What is wrong with these studios. It gets me so mad. That would be like a manufacturer in some other industry saying, yeah, there's this format to put out or product which makes it superior and really gives the customer a better presnetation, but we're not gonna use it. Just don't feel like it. Especially, as more and more people move to 16:9 TV's this should be the standard for widescreen DVD's.
:angry:
Also, I read at Michaels Reviw, that the exact same thing, but R4 is Anamorphic. Will that work in my (R1 I guess), Pioneer DV-434?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Well, it's not exactly like this title was released yesterday. In fact, it was released in 1999, before Fox started seriously committing to DVD. I'm sure in the not too distant future an anamorphic version will be released...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is one of a handful of non-anamorphic discs I own. It was released before I was aware of the importance of 16x9 enhancement. Clearly it was also before Fox was aware of the importance. They've made great strides since then.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Two things that would make this very good DVD a great one: anamorphic enhancement and time-coding/individual access on the deleted scenes. There's about 35 minutes of cut footage and no way to access individual scenes. A new documentary would be great too...maybe for the 10th Anniversary? :)
Fortunately, on my 4 x 3 set, the transfer doesn't look nearly as bad as the reviews say. The commentary is great and so are the other extras. Just a few minor flaws to an otherwise really nice Special Edition of a great movie.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
See, I thought the SE was newer and that there was a prior version, I guess by the posts here, that was wrong.
:confused:

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I was considering buy the current Mrs. Doubtfire release but if there is ANY chance of an amamorphic relase in the future. Is there any new information? If so I can hold off until then. Thanks.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, they DID go back and do a pan-and-scan version, which supposedly still includes the commentary- funny because on it Chris Columbus mentions why he shot it in 2.35!

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I know that's sad. I really wish they would release an amamorphic disc. Everything else is a great special edition but I really try to stay away from non anamorphic 2.35:1 transfers if possible. I guess I might have to bite the bullet and get the non-anamorphic release.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I too hope that FOX will do a new anamorphic release of this title. From other threads it seems it is already out in Anamorphic in other regions, so why not give it to us in Region 1 in Anamorphic as well. I'd definitely buy it and I will definitely NOT buy the current one! :angry:

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I think the R4 disc uses the same master as the UK R2 version. Michael's R4 DVD site mentions this.

The UK R2 version was cut to get a PG rating, due to crude sexual humour. I think censorship is a greater evil than non-anamorphic widescreen, but YMMV.

Also, R2 and R4 versions were released a good while after the R1 release, and as noted above, Fox made some good strides after then.

If there are any uncut anamorphic releases of Mrs. Doubtfire, then keep this thread posted..

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I own the R2 version and to be honest the Anamorphic transfer is not that great. The picture is slightly soft in places and the image never really jumps out at you. not bad, just not that good either!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know when, I don't know why, but I do know through information gleaned at my video post-production job that a 16X9 Mrs. Doubtfire is coming, probably before the end of the year. But that's all the information I have.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any further word on a Doubtfire SE?
Was watching the non-anamorphic DVD recently, and it looks very good to my orbs. Excellent, in fact, for a non-16x9 disc.
And the extras are sensational, with a huge batch of deleted scenes (all of which are terrific and could have been used in the film IMO; but, obviously C. Columbus and editor(s) didn't want a 185-minute movie).
I was just wondering what Polly Holliday thought about having 98% of her excellent and very funny performace chopped out of the final film? Too bad too...the "Dog Piss On The Flowers" bits were great IMO!
The current disc could easily have been marketed as a "Special Edition", there's so much stuff on it. Kind of odd it wasn't in fact.
An interesting Chris Columbus commentary too. It sounds like he's reading straight from prepared notes during the audio commentary. I'm pretty sure he is. But, actually that's a GOOD thing IMO. Sure, the spontaneous factor is missing from "prepared" comments, but you get so much more info from it. Instead of awkward "What do I say next?" pauses, you get a ton of useful, previously-thought-out remarks. Anyone else agree?
"No pussy piss on the posies!" :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
In the last Fox Chat, it was said that a new anamorphic transfer for Mrs Doubtfire was on the agenda in some form. I don't remember the exact quote offhand, so I don't know exactly how imminent it is.

The possibility of an anamorphic transfer of "The Abyss" was also quoted as a future possibility. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Would quickly purchase a high quality anamorphic edition. A truly great film that still makes me laugh. I hope Fox is listening or reading. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
The current disc could easily have been marketed as a "Special Edition", there's so much stuff on it. Kind of odd it wasn't in fact.
And the laserdisc box-set contained even more material not included on the current dvd. Hopefully, it will all be available on the upcoming re-release...and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks