What's new

MP3 fans! Here is a 400-disc CD megachanger that plays MP3 CDs for only $300! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield.com has information about a new Sony CDP-CX455 400-disc CD megachanger that will play MP3-encoded CDs. It will replace the 'CX400 (not the 'CX450), and Crutchfield is taking pre-orders for $300. They claim it will be available on July 3rd. Here is a link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DPX455&o=m&a=0
Just think of how much music you could have access to if you loaded this thing up with 400 MP3-encoded CDs. I am concerned about lackluster sound quality from MP3s, but damn, that's a lot of music!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt said:

if it only did SACD
I agree. However, if it played SACDs, it probably wouldn't be just $300. As the first SACD megachanger, it would probably be quite a bit more expensive. If Sony releases an SACD megachanger, it might even be an ES model. I'm not saying I agree with such marketing, but I could see it happen. A budget SACD megachanger, especially one that also plays MP3-encoded CDs, could do a lot for SACD. The format needs increased exposure with the masses.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Dang! I am happy with my 5 disc MP3 DVD/CD changer. With that I can play a total of 3500 minutes or 700 5 minute songs. Thats over two days of music right there without repeat! 58 hours of music! Sheesh. With a 400 disc mega changer you'd have 180 days of music. Even with your CD burner working 24 hours a day, you're only going to burn MP3 CD's every 5 minutes, thats more than 24 hours of non-stop CD burning. OK, my calculations are done. I have determined that it would take more time to fully utilize the CD changer and listen to all the CD's than I can spare. I don't have the time :cool:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, good analysis. Still, it would be pretty cool to get the 'CX455 going with 400 MP3 CDs. The 'CX455 could be the answer for people looking for an MP3-compatible CD player. There has been a discussion here lately about the limited number of MP3 CD players aside from DVD players. Some people want MP3 CD playback in a straight CD player. The 'CX455 looks to be a nice solution for these folks.

Shaown

Agent
I just picked up the new CX355 Jukebox. I was debating whether to return it and wait for this one. The only difference seems to be be, ~100 bucks more, 100 more disks, and MP3 playback. I decided to stick with the 355, as my DVD player plays MP3 CDs, and I can easily imagine a hard disk based component in the near future for the MP3s that would probably be even more user friendly. I want something with ethernet from a major brand!

Thx,

-Shaown

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Shaown, I too am interested in a hard-disk component, but I am waiting for hard-disk capacity to go up and prices to come down. I would be interested in using a hard-disk component more for CD-quality audio than MP3s, so a large hard drive is of the utmost importance. A 20-GB hard drive wouldn't do much for me. Some of these components have 40-GB hard drives, and I think one of them even has an 80-GB hard drive option (Rio?). Anyway, if 80-GB drives become common for under $500, I'll jump in. Also, a hard-disk component that can burn back to CD-Rs and CD-RWs is a must. Most of the current hard-disk components are one-way (pre-recorded CD to hard drive only). If I had an 80-GB hard drive filled with my favorite music, I would want to make mixes onto CD-Rs for the car and office.

Switching gears, I looked at the 'CX355 briefly on Crutchfield's web site the other day and it looks to be similar to the 'CX335 that preceded it. The 'CX355 is said to play CD-Rs and CD-RWs, while there is no mention of such compatibility with the 'CX335. However, I have found that older Sony megachangers play CD-Rs and CD-RWs with no problems, even though there is no mention of compatibility. The 'CX335 is said to have Sony's "Delete Bank" feature, but there is no mention of it with the 'CX355. Does the 'CX355 have the Delete Bank feature? Finally, from information on Crutchfield's web site, the 'CX355 is a bit smaller.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm am being a LITTLE sarcastic. I just find the potential kind of amusing. Ideally everything should eventually have MP3 playback capability. I think at the very least, MP3 is good for background music, parties etc.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg said:

Now we're talkin'! If Sony releases an ES 400-disc CD/SACD megachanger (and I bet it's not too far away), then I'll upgrade my current 300-disc ES megachanger.
It has been said that Sony might unveil new SACD players at the Home Entertainment show in New York City in May. We shall see. Maybe an SACD megachanger is in the works. It could be pricey, however.

Yiannis

Auditioning
Nice machine. However, it might be unusable if it does not have excellent mp3 navigation. One needs to find easily a song in these mp3 discs. I'll buy it immediately if it display id3s and has digital output.

Next machine: a dvd changer that plays mp3s on dvdr!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Anyone try a DVD-R with MP3s? I'm curious if a DVD player would be able to play mp3 files burned onto a DVD-R. 4.9GB of MP3 That would be cool!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yiannis, the 'CX455 will have an optical digital output. Negotiating MP3 CDs can easily become a nightmare if the player has a poor user interface. That's too many songs to keep track of otherwise.

Yiannis

Auditioning
Jeff D: I heard the Apex 1100w plays mp3 dvd-r s. I haven't tried it myself tho

KeithH: Although good mp3 navigation is a no-brainer no dvd or cd mp3 player I've seen has a decent mp3 interface close to a portable. They mention 'mp3' but it is usually just the usual useless mp3 playback.

By the way, even if the player has a toslink it does not mean that outputs mp3 from it. Big companies usually restrict mp3 to analog. See dvds/cd form kenwood, HK etc..

I supsect that this is the case for sony a known mp3 opponent.

To cut my rant short: they support mp3 but they do not really if you know what I mean

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yiannis, though I am not into MP3, I have heard that most DVD players (Panasonic model, for example) have a poor user interface for MP3 CDs. We'll see what the Sony can do.

You may be right that the Sony will not output MP3 information via the digital output. I was just saying that the Sony has one.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Any more info about the Sony mega changers from 300 to 400 discs with MP3 capability? I am interested and they aren't around here yet.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Still looking for advice on what kind of quality I should expect from the Sony mega disc changers. I don't consider myself a golden ear, but I can hear some differences. I just want something with digital out anyways. So what can I expect from the upcoming 400 disc Sony with MP3 etc? What will the regular CD quality be like? Will I want to use my Marantz SR6200's DAC's? Or will I be ok to use the Sony's analog connections?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, thus far, I have only seen the new Sony CDP-CX355 300-disc megachanger at Circuit City for $190-200. However, it does not play MP3-encoded CDs. Crutchfield's web site states that the 'CX455 will be in stock on June 11th.

As for sound quality, I don't know what you would be comparing a Sony megachanger to, but they are not all-world CD players. I have two Sony ES CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained (marketed two years ago), and while they beat the non-ES models, they are easily beat by comparably priced single-disc players and Sony's ES SACD changers in CD mode. The 'CX333ES players are very good for casual listening, but I never use them for critical listening. I am considering the performance of these players using the analog outputs, but I wouldn't expect them to serve as quality transports either relative to comparably priced single-disc players.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I figured their digital output would render them more useful :) Thanks for the input. I wonder if they'll make a 300 disc one that does MP3. I doubt I'd need a 400 disc changer!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I doubt Sony will make a 300-disc megachanger that plays MP3-encoded CDs this year. I suspect the 'CX355 will be the only 300-disc model released by Sony this year. However, you should be able to get the 'CX455 OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros. discounted. You might not see the need for a 400-disc player now, but you would have expansion for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks