What's new

MP3 fans! Here is a 400-disc CD megachanger that plays MP3 CDs for only $300! (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I'd rather have standard name brand DVD player that plays MP3 DVDs.
Dunno about that Apex 1100, but I know the other Apex players and every other DVD MP3 player I've seen will NOT play MP3s on DVDs. Neither my Apex AD-600 nor my Panasonic RP91 will by the way.
Several hundred MP3 CD-Rs is just not worth it. Too much of a hassle to burn all those discs. Just a 5-disc DVD changer would be able to hold 30-35 CD-Rs worth of MP3. (My own personal collection of MP3 - all of which I encoded myself - would take up around 40-45 CD-Rs.) Mind you if I wanted a CD changer, however, it couldn't hurt to have that feature.
Even better though would be a progressive scan DVD-A capable DVD-RAM changer that supported MP3 off of DVD-RAM. Panasonic/Toshiba/LG/Hitachi, are you listening? ;) Now I wonder how much that would cost...
By the way, re: KeithH's comment about lacklustre sound quality: I encode all of my MP3 files at 256 Kbps at a constant bit rate with normal stereo and the Fraunhofer codec. At these settings the sound quality is almost indistinguishable from the original CD. Yes, I do prefer multichannel non-compressed DVD-A quality to basic CD, but you can't have everything. I find that MP3 encoded at lower bit rates and with joint stereo often do sound significantly worse, even when encoded with good encoding algorithms.
The problem with MP3 encoding is that there are a lot of factors. Listed, in no particular order:
1) bit rates
2) type of stereo imaging used
3) some variable bit rate algorithms are problematic
4) some ripping hardware (CD drives) are poor quality
5) encoding algorithm used
6) etc.
Thus, most downloaded MP3s are not done properly. That's one of the reasons I chose to encode ALL of mine myself.
Re: limiting MP3 to analogue outputs. I can say that both my RP91 and my AD-600A will output MP3 audio via the digital outputs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eugene said:

By the way, re: KeithH's comment about lacklustre sound quality:
I was commenting on the quality of Sony's megachangers as CD players, with an emphasis on Sony's non-ES models. I have never downloaded or burned an MP3, so I am not about to comment on MP3 sound quality.

Regarding burning MP3s on blank CD or DVD media, one doesn't have to fill a Sony CDP-CX455 400-disc megachanger with MP3 CDs. One can use a combination of MP3 CDs and regular CDs. The 400-disc capacity makes the player attractive in my opinion, especially for $300 or less. If it played DVDs at that price, it would be even better. In that vein, Sony is supposed to be releasing the DVP-CX875P 301-disc progressive-scan DVD/CD/MP3 CD megachanger later this year. However, it will sell for around $500-600. That's still not a bad price given the feature set.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have the Sony 333es( as in ES line) 400cd mega, and its perfect. The 555es has a video out and a better remote. The prices on these have moved down a little since the lower end models have been updated. Since I don't use the Sony DACS anyway to my 3802, the 400 and 455 would probably do just as good for $230 instead of $450.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, Crutchfield now has the 'CX455 in stock for $300. I am amused by the fact that Crutchfield still shows pictures of the remote for the Sony multi-channel SACD changers (SCD-CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES) in with its pictures of the 'CX455. Someone might look at the pictures of the remote and think that the 'CX455 plays SACD. What a cruel joke to play on the unsuspecting public. :D

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Just reviving an older thread but with a couple new questions...

Has anyone purchased the CDPCX455? If so what are your thoughts on the build quality and nav menu?

Thanks,

Kevin

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd especially like to hear from Canadians who have purchased the mega disc players with CDR/RW and MP3 capability too.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Chris, prehaps we should start a new thread with the model number in the subject to draw some attention from current owners.

Kevin

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK, if I see you haven't, I will. I have a 13 year old 5 disc carousel which is working fine, but I'd like to turn it into a second room CD player and get a 300 or 400 disc changer and maybe even bail on some of my jewel cases. I'd like to have more convenience and save space too. I guess a new mega changer would sound as good or better than my Sony 5 disc CDP-C50 from 1988? The only trouble would be accessing the discs to take somewhere else, but as long as I keep track of where they are in the player, it should be fine.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I have a 7 year old Pioneer 12 disc changer that works like a champ, but I just don't like the sound of the onboard DAC's anymore and thus need something with an optical output so I can use my Denon's instead... and of course I don't like getting out of the chair to put a new CD in either :) ... If you go to Circuit City's website there are a couple reviews there if you goto the cx455... one guy says that you can't play MP3's through the optical out ??? ... worth a look as there are a couple other opinions.
Kevin

TimG

Second Unit
I received mine in the mail yesterday. I knew it was going to be big, but man. We are replacing an old Sony 5-disc that we have had for a long time. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will have time to get it loaded and check it out. I will post a review of it then.

TimG

PS. According to the manual you can't play MP3's through the optical out.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Thanks Tim, I eagerly await your thoughts. Most interested in the Navigational menu (how is the on screen display layout, how easy it is to name and find a cd, and if you can manually name tracks, and the build quality (is it flimsy or does the carousel motor/gears sound straining etc). I guess for $300 I should just be happy they gave us all the features of the older CX450 for the CX400 price.

Kevin

oh... don't forget that Sony is giving away the matching keyboard for free as a mail in rebate if so interested.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
That is stupid that you cannot play MP3's through the optical out. Why can't the CD player send the bitstream output via optical or coax to a receiver? Does the Sony have COAX out? My Panasonic DVD player lets me use my receivers DAC's when playing MP3's. Thats too bad. That means I have to select a different input on my receiver for MP3's? Or do I switch that input between analog and digital? My receiver is a Marantz SR 6200.

I noticed it says it doesn't have disc exchange. I thought all newer CD changers, 5 disc and the 200 300 and 400 disc mega changers all had disc exchange, the ability to change the discs in the CD player while a disc is playing.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I have not seen the 'CX455 yet, but I imagine it does not have a coaxial digital output. None of Sony's megachangers in the recent past, including the ES models, have sported a coaxial digital output -- just an optical.

Since the 'CX455 does not allow playback of MP3s via the digital output, you could do two things if you are also going to run a digital cable for playback of regular CDs:

1) Run the digital and analog cables into the same source inputs. In other words, you could run the digital cable into the 'CD' digital input and the analog cables into the 'CD' analog inputs. Then you would have to switch between digital and analog inputs for the 'CD' source.

2) Run the digital and analog cables into different source inputs. You could run the digital cable into the 'CD' digital input and the analog cables into 'Video', 'Tape', etc. analog inputs. Then you would have to just change the source selection, but you might also have to change between digital and analog inputs, depending on which analog inputs you chose. Obviously, there is no 'Tape' digital input, so there is no option when choosing the 'Tape' source inputs.

Finally, Sony megachangers do not offer Disc Exchange. That is only offered on carousel changers. When you open the door on a Sony megachanger, the player unloads the disc that played last and brings it to the door opening. It's as though Sony assumed that you would want to unload the disc that was played last.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, thats not a big deal anyways. I figured out its not too difficult to toggle between analog and digital for the same input on my SR 6200 receiver so thats ok. As for the disc exchange, I guess with 400 CD's, you can decide whether to insert a CD before you start playing any CD's and once they are playing, you should really only have to change the one playing with another one in there. I don't have more than 200 CD's as is! I am hesitant to get rid of these stupid jewel cases and file the booklets etc away somewhere and just be sure to make a good list of my CD's. Actually, with the low cost of CDR's, I could always burn dupes of my own CD's and put them all into the mega changer and leave the other ones for use in my walkman or for car portable etc. Lots of ways to do it I guess :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I have the jewel cases for the CDs that are in the megachangers right in my listening room. I like to have the booklets at arm's reach, and there are times when I want to take a CD out of the megachanger, so I like to have the cases handy. However, I am in the process of burning CDs in the megachangers to CD-Rs with CD TEXT. That will make it easier for me to access the pre-recorded CDs for listening on my better players or taking them in the car.

TimG

Second Unit
Doesn't someone make binders that hold the booklets? Then you could file the booklets in the binders, still have them near if you needed them, but also free up all the space that the jewel cases take up.

TimG

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I may do that either way. Even if I copied my CD's, I could store the other CD's somehow. I just don't like those CD storage containers that force you to rub the CD against a material. I like the ones that have snap in plastic and minimize or almost totally eliminate any contact with the surface of the CD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tim, I believe you can buy binders for CD booklets. However, as I said, I still prefer to have the jewel cases handy for taking the CDs in the car. The point will be moot since I am copying all the pre-recorded CDs in the megachangers to CD-Rs. The CD-Rs will stay in the megachangers, and I will have the pre-recorded CDs on the shelves for use in my better players or in the car. I have the shelf space. :)

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here's a different tack. I bought an 80GB hard drive, put it in my desktop computer, use MUSICMATCH software to rip my MP3s at 160 Kb, and use a Rio Receiver to stream the tracks to my stereo upstairs using HPNA. So far, I've ripped over 500 of my CDs and can create CD-R and CD-RW discs that play in my DVD player and portable MP3 compatible CD player. If you look in the letter column of the latest issue of Sound & Vision (July/August), you'll see my letter about this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks