New CD recorders from Sony, including an ES model.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 17, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In perusing Crutchfield's web site this morning, I noticed that Sony has a few new component CD recorders out, including an ES model. The RCD-W222ES has a stacked five-disc CD changer and a single-disc recording deck built-in. Crutchfield has it for $600. The 'W222ES dubs internally at 4x. No, the 'W222ES does not play SACDs. [​IMG] There is no mention of MP3 CD playback either. As an ES component, the 'W222ES comes with a five-year warranty in the US. Crutchfield's web site says it will be in stock on September 20th. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDW222&o=m&a=0
    For $400, you can get the non-ES version of the 'W222ES, which is the RCD-W50C. The 'W50C is in stock. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDW50C&o=m&a=0
    For $350, Sony now has the RCD-W10, which replaces the 'W1. The 'W10 has a single-disc playback tray and a single-disc recording/playback tray. It dubs internally at 4x, and it's in stock. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...RCDW10&o=m&a=0
    Finally, Sony has the RCD-W7V, which has a DVD/CD playback tray and and CD recording/playback tray. The 'W7V does not record DVDs, and it only records CDs internally at 2x. However, unlike the above models, the 'W7V plays MP3-encoded CDs. It's in stock at Crutchfield for $500. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...RCDW7V&o=m&a=0

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Keith, can you hear that sound? That's the sound of Sony's support for home MD equipment completely evaporating.

Actually, the ES CD recorder looks fairly well-priced (especially since we'll probably see it street in the $400 range); I might pick one up to replace my 'KA2ES that I've used maybe five times.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

I understand that. I just mentioned that the 'W222ES does not play SACDs because I figured the question might arise. Sony might be able to get around the problem of someone finding a way to dub SACDs if only the recording deck played SACDs.

Greg,

$400 wouldn't be too bad for an ES CD recorder. If you get one, please post your thoughts of it. I'm also curious how it functions as a CD player.

I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 CD recorder that I am very happy with. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a five-year warranty like the 'W222ES. Still, you might consider the CDR 30. I have never made a coaster with it, and copies sound just like the originals to my ears. It is a pretty good CD player too. Another model you might look at is the NAD C 660. It is a bit more costly than the CDR 30, but I've read good things about it.

By the way, I too have a 'KA2ES. I bought it a little over two years ago and have never used it to record. Rather, I use it occasionally for playback of some pre-recorded cassettes. It's a solid deck.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Just FYI that Sony Broadcast division sells a $400 (street) CD Recorder that includes Super Bit Mapping D/A, EQ & Limiter (for Analog input), ps2 input for CD Text titling via PC keyboard, selectable SCMS (no copy, 1 copy, no SCMS).

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I am aware that Sony makes at least one pro CD recorder like the one you describe. Do you know if Sony makes any dual decks within its pro line for high-speed internal dubbing?

7. David Susilo

Unfortunately Sony doesn't have the version you're looking for. You can, however, try Tascam which I'm almost sure that they have a similar item you're looking for.

My main beef with the consumer CD-R units are they require For Consumer blank medias. Price aside, it's too inconvenient to stock two types of blank medias at home, especially when you record as much as myself (I go through at least 200 CDs a month for my work-related stuff).

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I am not looking for a dual-tray pro model. Rather, I was just asking out of curiosity. I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray recorder that I am very happy with. However, I know what you mean about having to have two types of blank discs around. I use a computer burner for making mixes onto CD-Rs and for dubbing CDs to CD-Rs with CD TEXT for my megachangers. However, I prefer to use the H/K component recorder for making quick dubs of CDs for the car before leaving the house. I find it much more convenient to get a dub going on the H/K recorder than on the computer when I am in a hurry. Just plop the discs in the H/K recorder and push a button. Then push a button to finalize the recorded disc. Easy as pie! [​IMG]

9. David Susilo

Not meaning to argue, but don't you think it's much faster to do disc copy on your PC? For my case, my PC is usually on, therefore if I need to do disc copy, I can just put a CD in and do a copy right away. I can even do a CD copy at 24x, or if I already have the files on my PC (I have more than 1000 songs on my PC), I can even do it at 48x (about 3 minutes for a CD including lead-in, lead-out, and finalizing).

But then again, for some people, it's much more convenient albeit more expensive to do everything on standalone unit.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I don't take your questions as an argument. I don't always have my computer turned on. Also, I find that dubbing CDs on my computer burner is less "hands-on" than it is with the computer. I can set up a dub very quickly on the component burner while I am doing something else before work (showering, eating breakfast, etc.). Dubbing a CD on my computer requires a little more of my attention. It is true that a computer burner can go faster than home decks, but I have difficulties dubbing faster than 4x on my computer. With the computer, I get recording errors only very occasionally at 4x, but at faster speeds, I get more errors. I still get more errors at 4x on my computer than at 4x on the H/K component deck. In fact, I've never made a coaster on the H/K deck. For the record, I have a Dell desktop computer with a 1.1-GHz Pentium III processor, 128 MB of RAM and a 40-GB hard drive. The CD-R/CD-RW drive is an internal drive installed by Dell.

11. David Susilo

Keith, I think there something totally wrong with your PC setup when a PC at that speed can only record at 4x. My PC is only a Duron 650 and I can burn at 48x.

As a suggestion, please make sure that all DMA settings are on, this will make your PC at least twice as fast. If you use Nero, under preferences -> Ultra Buffer, set your buffer memory to Manual Configuration and put 50Mb as your buffer memory.

Once the above mentioned are done (at least the DMA settings), you should be able to do CD copy at least 8x if not 12x) or if you do HD to CD, you should be able to record at least 12x if not 24x.

As far as your preference in terms of the standalone, now I understand it more and actually tend to agree with your standpoint.

ps: do you know where to find 3" CDR for-consumer (if it is available at all)?

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I am generally computer literate, but DMA? Can you elaborate? Perhaps I am suffering a brain lapse, but I have never heard anyone mention DMA before.

As for 3" CD-Rs, do have Staples in Canada? I have found them at Staples stores in the US. I believe Best Buy in the US has them too.

13. David Susilo

DMA is Direct Memory Access. Under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager you need to go to your Hard Drive, DVD Drive and CDR Drive properties and see whether DMA option is checked. If not, you should "checked" the DMA option and restart Windows. The performance will be that much better.

Don't forget to Defragment your hard drive at least once a month. If this is the first time you do it, it can take up to several hours.

At Staples in Canada, they offer the 3" regular CD-R but not the For-Consumer type for the standalone home CD recorders.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, thanks for the tip regarding DMA. I'll check it out.

As for the 3" CD-Rs, that was my mistake. Staples in the US only has them for computer burners. Frankly, I have never seen them for consumer burners. Perhaps you could find them online.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, DMA is checked for all drives already. I'll have to try burning a CD-R at higher speeds again. Thanks.