What's new

MP3 Computer to Speakers without an amp? (1 Viewer)

Peter L

Grip
Hi, I want to be able to play MP3s from my computer to my prewired amplified ceiling speakers. All I have by my computer is a wall plate with a red and black speaker jack (not RCA) and they go directly to the ceiling speakers. I would imagine I have to use the green speaker plug from my computer to output the MP3s. Is there an adapter to go from mini stereo to the wall plate?
I don't want to have to connect to an amp/receiver.

Thanks,

Peter

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You shoudl be sure the speakers are self-amplified (just wondering why anyone would put pre-amped speakers connected to a wall plate with normal speaker temrinals).

If those speakers aren't amplified, You will be pushing less than a volt- this output from the computer could barely drive a set of headphones, let alone speakers.

You need some device to amplify the signal, and again i'd be curious why it is using a typically non-amplified connection for an amplified speaker...

-vince

Joe L.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree... something does not sound right. An amplified speaker would normally have an RCA jack as an input and a volume/level control of some kind. Your wall plate by the computer sounds like one used for un-amplified speakers.

What brand/model "amplified speakers" do you have in your ceiling? Perhaps that will assist us in identifying what you have to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks