MP3 Computer to Speakers without an amp?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Peter L, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Hi, I want to be able to play MP3s from my computer to my prewired amplified ceiling speakers. All I have by my computer is a wall plate with a red and black speaker jack (not RCA) and they go directly to the ceiling speakers. I would imagine I have to use the green speaker plug from my computer to output the MP3s. Is there an adapter to go from mini stereo to the wall plate?
    I don't want to have to connect to an amp/receiver.

Thanks,

Peter

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You shoudl be sure the speakers are self-amplified (just wondering why anyone would put pre-amped speakers connected to a wall plate with normal speaker temrinals).

If those speakers aren't amplified, You will be pushing less than a volt- this output from the computer could barely drive a set of headphones, let alone speakers.

You need some device to amplify the signal, and again i'd be curious why it is using a typically non-amplified connection for an amplified speaker...

-vince

3. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

I agree... something does not sound right. An amplified speaker would normally have an RCA jack as an input and a volume/level control of some kind. Your wall plate by the computer sounds like one used for un-amplified speakers.

What brand/model "amplified speakers" do you have in your ceiling? Perhaps that will assist us in identifying what you have to work with.