MP3 Computer to Speakers without an amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Peter L, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Hi, I want to be able to play MP3s from my computer to my prewired amplified ceiling speakers. All I have by my computer is a wall plate with a red and black speaker jack and they go directly to the ceiling speakers. I would imagine I have to use the green speaker plug from my computer to output the MP3s. Is there an adapter to go from mini stereo to the wall plate? (please see picture)

I don't want to have to connect to an amp/receiver.

Thanks,

Peter

2. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Can you explain better what you mean by "prewired amplified"?

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If these are just regular ceiling speakers that are prewired they will need an amplifier to drive them. If they are somehow self-powered, or the wallplate connects into an amp somewhere then you will not. But I'm 99% sure that you'll need an amp.

4. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Assuming they are self powered, my question is how do I connect from my computer (1/8th stereo plug to speaker wires?) maybe 1/8 stereo to RCA and then RCA to speaker wires, is there such an adapter?

Thanks,

Peter

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

My point is, if they have a speaker plate connection, they are NOT self-powered.

If you had an amplifier that accepted a line-level signal from your computer, you'd need a small stereo plug to Stereo RCA adapter (such as http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D883 )

But if you are trying to run RCA cables to speaker connections, try all you want, you won't get any sound without an amp. Your assumption that they are self-powered is almost certainly incorrect if they have speaker-level connections. If they WERE (which I've never seen for in-walls), then they'd have RCA connectors.

You'll need to buy some sort of amp or integrated amp to power your speakers.

6. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Chris,

Thanks for the tips, all I know is that the main panel where all the ceiling speaker/volume control has a big IBM logo on it, and I remember the sales man told me the speakers are powered... but then he could be lying. I just don't understand why the speaker wire / wall plate is located in an office, not at the family room where the amp/receiver would go?

Peter

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well it sounds like your system is more complicated than I can guess at here. It is certainly possible that you have speaker wire wallplates that are folded into a larger system that is self-powered. Usually, there's a wallplate or some connection method for regular (unpowered) in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, and perhaps a passive volume control.

So without knowing what is in your system, we can't really know what's going on. If they are powered, there must be amplifiers SOMEwhere...

8. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Peter, if those prewired speakers are powered, there should be some sort of volume and (hopefully) tone equalization controls in the vicinity. I doubt very much there is any such thing going on.

9. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Yes there are volume controls for the speakers. I guess going back to my question, I know how to connect from 1/8 stereo plug to RCA, but how do I connect from RCA to speaker wires? Whether the speakers are self powered or not I still want to try to hook my computer to the speakers. If they don't work, nothing to lose.

Thanks,

Peter

10. reed

reed Auditioning

yes, you can find the wire adapter.

i just bought a pair of 3.5 jack to __(not know the name) adapter, connecting dvd player to powered speakers spent me around 50 cent [​IMG]

11. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Do you or anyone has a picture of what the adapter looks like? IS it available at radio shack?

THanks,

Peter

12. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

"my question is how do I connect from my computer (1/8th stereo plug to speaker wires?) maybe 1/8 stereo to RCA and then RCA to speaker wires, is there such an adapter?"

well yes/no - go get a good wire cutter and a cord with a stereo mini 1/8" on one end and whatever on the other [most likely RCA's] cut the RCA ends off and seperate the wires inside, and walla! you have youre adapter [​IMG] this is assuming all your assumtions of powered speakers are right. If not, I would call up the company that sold the prewiring to you and bitch up a storm.

13. peter-lee

peter-lee Auditioning

All I know is that the speakers are connected to something call the IBM Home Director.

Peter

14. TedLee

TedLee Agent

it kinda sounds like that your trying to hook up speakers your computer sound card.

just keep in mind if those speakers are not self powered your not going to hear anything.

soundcards output on the scale of mW

while we all know that speakers need inputs on the scale of watts.

these questions of how to plug in mini stereo to speaker wires makes me nervous.

15. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

The only way to get sound from the output of a computer sound card... is to get some Klipschorns or Avantgardes [​IMG] with more than 100dB/watt sensibility, you will get there.