What's new

Movies that SHOULD be re-made (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
How about alien 3. Pretend that 3 and four never happened and start again after aliens. This time stay truer to the characters and leave behind the art house pretensions. I had no problem with fincher direction, just alot of the story and character choices made. Make 3 and 4 nightmares and have sigourney wake up in the middle of the night sweaty. Then just go from there. Have it take place years later, to allow for michael beihn and sigourneys aging. then you could have a young adult newt as well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
But a reimagining of Smokey and the Bandit might not be that bad. Not a parody of the original though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Neh, really, rather then re-doing Smokey & The Bandit, I wouldn't mind them re-thinking/updating "Cannonball Run"

For another film -idea- that could be redone, I love "The Last Starfighter" as a goofy/camp classic.. but I'd love to see it done again differently. Add also "Explorers" (the one with River Phoenix, Ethan Hawke) to be redone, and those two would be next for me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The 1953 George Pal production was very good, but I would love to see WAR OF THE WORLDS remade as a period film set in and around London, as in the novel. If done right and helmed by an appropriate director, I think the atmosphere would run rings around the original's, which was woodenly acted and had some not-great effects (piano wire, anyone?).

Most excellent movies should NOT be re-made - it's a silly Hollywood conceit that simply updating a classic can improve upon it (this only rarely works). But for WOTW, special effects improvements made during the ensuing 40-50 years, if applied judiciously and not for their own sake, could elevate the story to a new level. You would need a dedicated director, such as Peter Jackson was with LOTR, who will pay attention to character development and not allow his/her editor to produce the fantasy equivilent of MOULIN ROUGE or ARMAGEDDON. British cast, director and crew wouldn't hurt.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I always hated that. "Alien 3 took so long to make, Newt had to get written out, she'd have been too old!"

Very simple, it's a movie. "There was a problem with the cryo-chambers. You all were kept alive, but the aging process somehow wasn't frozen, you aged 7 years." Bam, there you go. Add more of a scientific phrasing to it... it works.

Children of the Corn
Escape To Witch Mountain (not the horrible TV remake kind.. something closer to the original)
The Wizard of Oz (could be really fun depending who does it. Tim Burton could make a really dark Oz movie, in the same style as the books, much like the new willy wonka movie. Couldn't possibly top the original, but would be a fun movie I imagine.)
The Funhouse (pure 80's fun trash, easily doable in the 00's)

Just to name a few.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
There were plans to revive Smokey and the Bandit for the "90's"....it was called Eastbound and Down, and the project has apparently stalled out. Variety had articles on it in 1999.

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator

Indeed, but what kind? Of the Disney film or the book? Live action or animated again? The miniseries format might work well as long as they were well done.

Yeah, a remake of Wizard of Oz that's closer to the original material might be cool. Though with the original movie so imbedded in popular culture it might not do all that well.

But to pull one out of left field, I'd go for a remake of Record of Lodoss War. The original release was like an animated slideshow, but it had a great setting and story. I'd love to see it animated with a decent budget or done as a CGI piece.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, here's my opinions.

Pretend The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions never happened, cut neo turning into the one at the end of the first one, and do it all over again. They really need to have atleast one fightscene where neo comes to the rescue and there fightin together. I always figured (during my 4 year wait for the sequel) there would be a time were Trinity and Morphues got introuble in a fight and Neo comes and just WHABAM!!! but i'll write the script for that in a couple of years. Getting Morphues off that truck doesnt count, and neo fighting those 6 merovingian guys doesnt count cause trinity and morphues werent in the room. It would of been really cool if neo got to the end of the hall before that ghost guy closed the door and got to see how he would handle that, while Morphues and Trinity wait. Or atleast Neo beatin the crap out of them while the rest of them hop in the car with the keymaker and try to get away.

I actually had a dream in my head when i first saw the matrix reloaded trailer, i had an idea that Neo might come go flyin down on the road right infront of the twins black SUV and punch the front((kind of like the hellboy trailer)) and had the truck go flippin over. Then they turn to ghosts, get out and start swinging there knifes at neo while neo tries desperately to hit them where it hurts before they go into ghost mode. That's just one out of a million ideas. Before i saw any Matrix sequel i used to have thoughts of Trinity tryin to get away from some cops or agents or both, jumpin roof tops then when it gets alittle hopeless, Neo comes out of nowhere and starts knockin people around in slow motion like Jet Li in the One (in the garage). But that was along time ago.

Now i think it would of been interesting if Neo didnt become the one at the end of the first one, and became the one at the end of the second movie or something. Then the 3rd one, just be all powerful in the matrix and somehow create a storyline around that. Also, different enemy besides Agent Smith in the Sequels.

The thing i couldnt wait for more then anything in the long period of time from 1999-2003 i was really excited to see what the people of Zion would say when they first saw Neo and saw what he could do in the matrix, maybe demonstrated alittle, perhaps got into a sparing simulation with someone who thinks there toughnuts. Not most of those ideas dont fit with the others, thats just a few out of a million but personally if i had that time to write the sequels i would of made them better (atleast they would of been better to me).

I do like the Merovingian touch, gave more depth to the matrix. I wanted to see Seraph kick somebodies ass, i dont care who, but something to atleast demonstrate that you can tell visually he's a better fighter then trinity and Morphues, heck fighting for his life When Smith took him and Sati over would of been worth watchng.

Back when i saw the first concept art for the matrix, saw a picture of Neo punching an agent in the face outside in a street (guess that'd be smith now) i figured there'd be this awesome fight scene where he starts get ambushed by tons of agents takin over everybody, and they start goin at it in the middle of a busy full of car street. My favorite idea for that fight scene was Neo trying to punch an agent and the agent getting out of the way just intime and a car flips over in slow motion as the windows crack and break. But back then i felt more inferior to agents and thought they'd play more rougher, instead of that somewhat graceful fight at the beginning of Reloaded.

I knew they were gonna throw weapons in, and i new Trinity would end up on a Motor Cycle doin some crazy ass stuff. When watching a guy talk about the new matrix movies (before they revealed anything but a teaser for the movie) he said "It's crazy, highspeed chase, people jumping from cars" i dont know what i saw that in, tv behind the scenes maybe? i dont know. I figured Morphues and an agent or somebody would get ontop of there cars and start jumpin around from car to car for whatever reason, meeting up somehow doin really daring stuff.

I figured they'd eat more off of the "no fear" thing and show people doin really crazy high jumps like Morphues did in the jump program, didnt really to much of that.

When i saw the first matrix reloaded preview, i watched it over and over and over again for like 2 hours cause i was a huge matrix fan back then i had pretty much a whole movie mapped out in my head and i think if the movie in my head was made instead of the ones that came out people would like it better. My movie wouldnt have cheesy lines in it either like "neo, i believe". But whatever, im sure i couldnt make a better movie even though i think i can, im just gonna say i cant and be practical.

But i would give $1,000 just to see a scene like Seraph and Trinity and Morphues stormin the club, except replace Seraph with Neo.

Well thats enough out of me.

EDIT: ALSO! CGI smith gets wayyyyyyyyy to close to the camera at bad times, a guy in a suit just doesnt look good flying around. What about when he tried to hit Neo flyin into the buildin then makes a U turn and floats (the part with dust comming up from the ground as he circles around). CGI Neo flyin around looks damn good though, he moves alittle unrealistically and agile like most CGI characters do (Legolas, at the top of my head) but still looks cool.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT KILL BILL.

Oh yea, and Kill Bill. Need to take that guy hovering 20ft up into the air out. Also, drop the Anime like technique of making blood squirt out like a hose everytime somebody gets cut. Also, revamp the fight between her and Lucy Lui.

Still loved the movie alot.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of The Hidden. I've always liked this obscure little movie and don't think a remake is really necessary but it would remove about the only problem with the original. The movie has aliens who like hot cars and hard rock music, but due to the budget the rights to really good music couldn't be obtained. A remake could fix that and let the aliens have some really great hard rock to enjoy while driving around in hot cars.

I have no idea what Jackson's beliefs are, but based on that, and the overall portrayal of the priest (especially after he becomes a zombie) leads me to think that Jackson may not be the person you want to direct any sort of serious or reverent religious movie ;)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Christopher Lee has for the past few years been campaigning to remake his earlier film The Devil Rides Out. He says that he was too young to play his role back in the 60's and that he's the right age now, but I think the best reason to remake it is not only better special effects, but with an R rating you could have a more authentic seeming depiction of satanism. I like the original but there's something funny about how these vile devil worshippers are supposed to be having this disgusting and decadent orgy but yet they never take their clothes off. They just kind of dance for a while like they're drunk :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea! Ahhh, the more you know... :)

Someone needs to remake Gangs of New York. I wouldn't even mind if they don't change anyone behind the camera. But they just really need to tighten it up and drop the love story. I'd also like to see some alternative casting for Amsterdam, perhaps with some different plotting. Because the era and Bill the Butcher are far too good to leave with what they did in the theatrical release.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Julie, even though The Hidden is, objectively speaking, a pretty poor film, I have a soft spot for it for some reason. Maybe it's the fact of that bad punk rock the alien's first human host listens to. Maybe the love of arrest-me-red Ferraris. A guilty pleasure, for sure.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Ouch! First time someone asks for a remake before the original is even in the theaters! :D

As for Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, I feel those simply need to be more tightly edited. The Washowski Brothers had the right idea, but went way overboard on the special effects and didn't concentrate enough on tightening the dialog.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Is an alternate adaptaion really a "remake", tho?

Personally, I'd like another run at "The Avengers". Some good ideas, but ultametly sunk by edits and a poor script.

Jason

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the minority, but I have great fondness for both Reloaded and Revolutions. They don't have the great thrill of discovery as The Matrix, but perhaps that wasn't possible (how can you really top a character learning the world doesn't exist, that the true world is a blasted battle ground and we are living in a construct? The only place to go is a third "shell" -- that the blasted battleground was yet another construct. The Wachowskis hinted at this at the end of Reloaded, but people were so emotionally invested in the humans vs. machine thematic that the idea of Neo, Zion, and The Prophecy as just another part of the machine world was deeply unsatisfying and repellant.

I do have twinges of dissatisfaction...there is too much pointless action in Reloaded, like the fight with Ceraph, and not enough cogent exposition, while Revolutions seems to tip the other way, with too much narrative action and not enough philosophy. The Frenchman is clearly Satan, and yet he is defeated and acquiesces to Trinity's love off-camera. I'm not satisfied with that choice. It rings shallow to me for some reason.

On the flip side, and a bit off-topic, I think The Animatrix was one of the best animated "features" I've seen in recent times. It is a package film, like the old Disney package features from the 40's, and as such, it actually invites favorable comparison to Fantasia. Brilliant, bold, beautiful work, and loads of heart. People who bash the Kid in Revolutions as a "Jar Jar" character need to see the character's introduction in the Animatrix short devoted to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks