What's new

Movies that SHOULD be re-made (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I covered just that thing in the Reloaded thread recently, ER.

As for remakes and whatnot, I'd love to see Pearl Harbor made to be the movie the trailer made it out to be.

Take care,
Chuck

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite in agreement with you Ernest. It was unfortunate that The Animatrix came out before Reloaded because I could see the potential for excellence on par with the original in those short vignettes that neither of the sequels approached (for me). So, one could say that the sequels didn't measure up to the spin-off, so to speak. :)

Can I place my vote for a remake of The Swarm? I love the film, and having any kind of Allen-style disaster movie with bees and a great cast would be lots of fun. Although for the record I don't think the scene with Fonda experimenting with the serum can be topped.

Robert Todd

Agent
M. Night should remake "The Other" The original story was written by Thomas Tryon, and would match very well with M. Nights' particular skills.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The LOTR Trilogy
Lloyds of London
Liquid Sky

would kill to see an update of The Demon Seed

I love The Hidden.

Like many 80's films I loved, it's in dire need of a soundtrack/score update. In many cases, the electronic drum machine, and that strange echoed whammy-bar nose dive, to me, is what murders many of these film's reviewing. e.g. The Lost Boys, Ladyhawke, Young Guns(what the hell is an electric guitar doing in the soundtrack?)

Damnation Alley, that's a great pick. I would love that.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Oh yeah get Ron Howard do a proper job on it. Warwick Davies as Frodo,
Russell Crowe as Aragorn, Rutger Hauer as Gandalf oooh! Where's that roll-eyes smiley at Zen-san? :angry:

:D

As much as I love The Omega Man, a remake sticking more closely to Richard Matheson's novel I am Legend would be great, but with my luck they'd put The Rock or some flavor of the month as the hero.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
No one wants to see They Live remade, without all the bad fighting when Kurt Russell tries to get the other guy to put on the glasses, good concept bad execution, but I think someone can turn this into a gem.

The Omega Man - that one was supposed to happen a while ago with Arnold Schwarzenegger but never happened. It would be cool to remake that movie.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, the script is supposedly one those "best unmade scripts in Hollywood", although from what I read about it it's more Mad Max than I Am Legend, with the vampires turned into gangs of mutants. Maybe it would have been fun but still not quite what I'd be looking for.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Yes, you may!!

In fact, the Arthur Herzog novel is incredibly entertaining and emphasizes the science (a la ANDROMEDA STRAIN) of the problem. There is no military bullshit with the likes of the Richard Widmark movie character, no romantic subplots, no stupid-as-hell romantic triangles, etc. The book is a very serious look at a very real issue.

If filmed without the Sterling Silliphant/Irwin Allen embroidery, exclusively focusing instead on the scientists' efforts to contain the threat, this could have been a terrific film.

None of this all-star cast crap. A mostly unknown/modestly-known cast would work better. Special effects need to be convincing (the bees in THE SWARM are not very believable, especially when pouring out of a tree like sugar pops fired from a cannon).

The sole saving grace of this dreadfully-acted, moronically-scripted 1978 disaster was Jerry Goldsmith's score.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
I still can't comprehend why the powers-that-be decided to do a shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho" - a film that had already been ripped-off endlessly - when an updating of "The Birds" might have actually worked.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Here are some films that I think should be re-made.

Tron - Already mentioned, but with the addition of CGI could be very exciting to see an updated version.

War of the Worlds - Isn't Tom Cruise making this?

When Worlds Collide - With all the recent disaster flicks, this should be updated. And don't end the flick like the 1950's version did, but show how the survivors survive and cope on the new planet.

The Great Escape - With an all-star cast, could be good.

The Dirty Dozen - Same as Great Escape.

Day the Earth Stood Still - Put it in the present. Keep the robot the same design.

Forbidden Planet - Wasn't this supposed to happen several years ago. Would like to see this re-made.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Since they're remaking Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory - why not this one. But if they do, Don't change the car. It's the star of the movie.

The Black Hole - Also in need of being remade. After all these years I still can't understand the ending.

Added a few more:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - But don't change the Seaview.

The Towering Inferno

The Poseidon Adventure - I think this is being remade.

Outland

Earthquake

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Dragonslayer - With todays CGI and of course dragons and wizards could be really good remake.

Logan's Run - Think this being remade as well.

Westworld

Fantastic Voyage

This Island Earth

Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Kid spy movies seem to be popular of late, so a version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that's true to the book might work.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Battlefield Earth

The book was very entertaining and I think it could be made into two, maybe three movies. We can totally forget the other piece of junk (IMO) version that was out a few years back.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Starship Troopers - The source material, i.e. the novel by Robert A. Heinlein, I thought was much more engaging than the movie. A true, sourced straight from the original medium, would definitely pique my interest.

Clash of the Titans
Wing Commander
2010: The Year We Make Contact
STAR WARS: Episode I
Final Fantasy
RoboCop 3
Batman & Robin
Alien 3 - C'mon! The series is titled ALIEN, not RIPLEY!:rolleyes:Mebbe some adaptations of the comic books from Dark Horse should be in order?;)

This is all I can think of right now.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

I have to agree there. We didn't need to sit through 10 hours of a hobbit (with the same look on his face) plodding through Middle Earth. Three hours would have sufficed.

Dreamscape is one I would like to see re-made simply for the special effects.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Millennium the movie that originally starred Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd.

With a new Surprise ending. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks