Movies that SHOULD be re-made

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ray_Gootz, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz Stunt Coordinator

Okay i'm watching Creepshow right now and I gotta beleive with all the great actors out there right now, now is the time for this great movie to be remade. Face it this is the kind of movie that lends itself to a remake, all you need is the basic formula and you can go nuts with the 5 tales and you got yourself a hit. See some movies that have been forgotten with time should be remade. Some movies had good ideas but went the wrong way with them. Here are some older movies that would do well with a remake:

Creepshow
    Dead Heat
    Sleuth
    Communion
    Death Wish

You guy got any?

2. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Manos: The Hands of Fate.[​IMG]

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Hook...directed by Terry Gilliam.
    The Phantom Menace...directed by Steven Spielberg.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ernest beat me to it - SW:TPM. Except for the lightsaber duel, the current version is pitiful.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Although I am a fan of Pearl Harbor as it is, I think it would fare much better without a love story taking up most of the storyline. I wasn't much of a fan of Randall Wallace's writing, so have John Lee Hancock join the writing team, at least for the revisions. Michael Bay can stay *gasps aplenty*, and end the movie on FDR's speech. He showed that war scenes could be done just fine with a PG-13 rating, but I wouldn't have a problem with a R-rated movie, as long as he doesn't go overboard like he did in Bad Boys II.

Spielberg should remake all three Star Wars prequels. At the very least, the acting could be so much better. I honestly don't think the acting in the original trilogy was bad at all, but I think it really shows in the two prequels so far.

6. Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD Stunt Coordinator

Here's a few...

The Phantom Menance
    The Punisher (yes they are redoing it, but it might need another redo if they biff it!)
    Tron 1
    The Ten Commandments
    Spartacus
    Captain America

Just a few off the top of my head.

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

No way about The Ten Commandments. With THE PASSION and Easter I have watched several bible movies over the last month or so. None can compare to The Ten Commandments. Still my all-time favorite bible movie.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'd leave Tron and Spartacus alone. In fact, their current DVD releases are nothing less than astounding.

One movie that should be redone is "The Longest Day". What I originally saw a few years ago was NOT what I would call a motion picture classic. It was long and tedious with too many detached and incomplete storylines.

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG]

Actually, one I'd like to see done is an old guilty pleasure of mine... Moontrap

I always liked it for some weird reason... [​IMG]

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just watched the DVD of "The Final Countdown"....I would love to see a remake of this film.

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
  12. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The Women

What a cast and what an opportunity to recreate such a cast! The original is terrific but a little tame for today's standards. The characters are wonderful though I think Moira Shearer overacts in her role as Mary. Most of the characters are the fashionable set of Fifth Avenue so naturally the film is quite dated but the story is as solid as ever. The big hook in The Women is that there are no males anywhere, not even animals, in the movie and I think that would make a great selling point even today. As to the surprise technicolor sequences, maybe make them 3D.

Salem's Lot

Except make it a feature-length R-rated film. The original story is so gothicly creepy and ominous that the constraints of television leave you wondering, what they could have done if this wasn't a TV movie. When I talk about this film people light-up and immediately launch into talking about how much this movie scared them silly.

This may be heresey but.... any of the Tennessee Williams plays from the 50s such as Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Baby Doll, and Suddenly.... Last Summer. So much had to be cut or reworded to suit censors that the films can only hint at what was really going on. These are great movies because the actors work so hard to convey the unspoken elements but as, a result, the films skirt their true themes.

13. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

THE GUMBALL RALLY, even though the original's a classic of the genre.

The perfect antidote to all these classless rice rocket and biker movies that seem to have proliferated in the last few years; The Swift & The Elegant, one might say. The casting should be similar, too, with a good cross section of character players - young, middle-age, old and NO big stars either in lead roles or gratuitous cameos - and the cars should be equally sophisticated. And no hip, ironic humour. And no overblown CGI stunts that couldn't realistically happen. Slapstick largely confined to one character, who can still ride a motorcycle. A few extra police car crashes would be OK, but no explosions. Just scenes that show the pure exhilaration of driving fast and not hurting anybody to the strains of Domenic Frontiere, if he's still kicking around.

14. Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD Stunt Coordinator

The Ten Commandments is a great movie, but like the PASSION and King Arthur movies, it could be redone very nicely and not hurt the original.

Just imagine Peter Jackson doing a Ten Commandments, I think then you can visualize true justice.

15. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Just imagine Peter Jackson doing a Ten Commandments, I think then you can visualize true justice."

Naaah...Mel Gibson doing The Ten Commandments would be something to get excited about. I don't know if Peter Jackson has any sort of personal fervor towards spirituality or the covenant between God and Man. Jackson has an eye for spectacle and emotion, but I think if someone is going to remake that story, there should be a personal enthusiasm towards the meaning of the tale. Otherwise, you just wind up with yet another "CGI disaster spectacle" set in biblical times...Prince of Egypt seems to highlight what I'm talking about - it was pretty, it hit most of the key story points, it had nice songs, but it was also a bit inert. If we're going to remake The Ten Commandments, lets try to make one with realism and immediacy and true religious passion. Gibson would be my choice, maybe even Spielberg - but I haven't seen anything in Jackson's work to indicate he'd even be interested in such a movie.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Damnation Alley.
    Final Countdown.

Salems Lot was remade and will be showing on TV as a miniseries in a few months.

17. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Nightbreed. Clive Barker did it based on his book, Cabal and it suffered from buget constraints that could be more doable now with the state of special effects and maybe whomever were to make this could follow his book better lol.

18. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

How can you get any more passion than Heston!

"If there is one more plague on Egypt, it is by your word that God will bring it. And there will be such a cry throughout the land, that you will surely let the people go!"

19. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

The Black Cauldron needs a remake...

20. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

The Big Bird Cage

I'm thinking Anne Hathaway, Rosario Dawson, Kirsten Dunst, and the Bend It Like Beckham chicks in an update of this women-in-prison classic. R-rated and with mud wrestling scene intact of course.