What's new

Movies On Blu With A Teal Tint. (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Anthony Neilson said:
You're wrong though. "An" would not come before "historian" as the "h" is sounded. :cool:
Predominantly in North America it seems. The 'H' in Historian remains unaspirated, or secondarily aspirated, in most other English-speaking countries, including the mother land, plus all of us ex-colonies. Although 'a' is not incorrect in our modern (IMO sloppier) usage, 'an' is more correct*...if not most correct*. Even Time magazine appears to have backed off that one since their 'A Historic Choice' Geraldine Ferraro cover back in the mid-80s.

In any case, my post was just meant to be a living example of the same level of pedantry expressed by the original poster. :P

* grammatic faux-pas intentional.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
How is Kirgo reporting and extending falsehoods about a movie she's writing liners for anything like using "a" or "an" in front of historian? She's supposed to be one, get the info right.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Gee, I could have sworn this thread, useless as it is, is about Movies on Blu With a Teal Tint - at what point did it turn into a bashing Julie Kirgo thread? It's a little noxious so maybe we could stay on topic?

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
Often times the teal tint is a last ditch effort to get rid of mattelines and green/blue screen spill.

Real Name
Anthony
ROclockCK said:
Predominantly in North America it seems. The 'H' in Historian remains unaspirated, or secondarily aspirated, in most other English-speaking countries, including the mother land, plus all of us ex-colonies. Although 'a' is not incorrect in our modern (IMO sloppier) usage, 'an' is more correct*...if not most correct*. Even Time magazine appears to have backed off that one since their 'A Historic Choice' Geraldine Ferraro cover back in the mid-80s.

In any case, my post was just meant to be a living example of the same level of pedantry expressed by the original poster. :P

* grammatic faux-pas intentional.
I'll have you know, Sir, that I reside in the "Motherland" of which you speak and I can assure you that the "h" in historian is most definitely aspirated, except by those of a "cockney" persuasion and Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. The "h" is also aspirated in hotel (even by cockneys) and, I might add (for the benefit of the colonies and their fancy-Dan, Franglais pretensions) in herb; two examples of which are Ba-zill and Awree-GAHno. I dispute that "an" is most correct, as you claim and - furthermore - I reject the notion of "secondary" aspiration, as one either aspirates or one does not. I can see no room for half-measures in this regard.

Is this off-topic?

Oh, yes - teal..... ;)

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Anthony Neilson said:
I'll have you know, Sir, that I reside in the "Motherland" of which you speak and I can assure you that the "h" in historian is most definitely aspirated, except by those of a "cockney" persuasion and Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. The "h" is also aspirated in hotel (even by cockneys) and, I might add (for the benefit of the colonies and their fancy-Dan, Franglais pretensions) in herb; two examples of which are Ba-zill and Awree-GAHno. I dispute that "an" is most correct, as you claim and - furthermore - I reject the notion of "secondary" aspiration, as one either aspirates or one does not. I can see no room for half-measures in this regard.

Is this off-topic?

Oh, yes - teal..... ;)
In certain areas, such as 'artlepool, an h is always silent.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Since we are this off topic, it must be said:"In Artford, Ereford, and Ampshire, urricanes ardly hever appen."

Real Name
Anthony
BJQ1972 said:
In certain areas, such as 'artlepool, an h is always silent.
True. But what do they know? Look how they pronounce their own locale. Anyone can see it should be "Hartill-pool".

Which, in turn, reminds me of the old grammatical joke "The p is silent, as in swimming pool".

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
As these charts on betterwritingskills.com show, modern usage everywhere now favours 'a' instead of 'an':

American usage:
a-historic-US.png

British usage:
a-historic-UK.png

So time appears to be on your side... :P

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Nice chart! At school I was taught (let's say around 1960) that "an hotel" was correct but I always thought it sounded odd and I've never heard any of my friends or family say anything other than "a hotel" (OK maybe I don't move in the right circles). So I always say, for example, "There's a hotel nearby". I think most people think it pretentious to say "an".There's a(n) teal coloured hotel not far from me as well, just to keep things on track - although I don't think I knew what teal was until I read about it here.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Anthony Neilson said:
True. But what do they know? Look how they pronounce their own locale. Anyone can see it should be "Hartill-pool".

Which, in turn, reminds me of the old grammatical joke "The p is silent, as in swimming pool".
Which, in turn, reminds me of the old story of when Jean Harlow met Margot Asquith at a dinner party and repeatedly addressed her as "MargoT" with a T. Asquith finally had enough and said to her, "No, dear, the 'T' is silent, like in 'Harlow'".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks