What's new

Movies On Blu With A Teal Tint. (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Just been reading on another forum an interesting debate regarding the teal tint that some are saying is visable on quite a few modern movies. Anyone any thoughts on this and the reasoning behind it? :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's been going on for a few years now. My thought is that it is a very bad trend indeed and the sooner we get back to high quality color reproduction in movies the better.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I wouldn't call this a trend. Digital post production tools for color manipulation have become cheaper and more available to filmmakers. It can be useful for setting a mood and marrying together footage shot under varying conditions. I would agree that some have overembraced it.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I hate "teal-vision" and its difficult to understand the reason behind it. I think film makers think that teal tinting is more realistic but they are wrong. The real world is not teal tinted. I have never seen a sky in real life that is a teal colour. Sometimes teal tinting can be amusing though. Like in The American. In some of the darker interior scenes, George Clooney's grey hair actually looks a teal colour instead of grey.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Elia Kazan Collection Blu ray - Wild River with Montgomery Clift Teal City Why why why spoil an otherwise excellent transfer???

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
tele1962 said:
Just been reading on another forum an interesting debate regarding the teal tint that some are saying is visable on quite a few modern movies. Anyone any thoughts on this and the reasoning behind it? :)
The main subject of most films are people, and the the main people represented in film are Caucasian with skin tones that are generally pink-yellowish, and can easily be pushed to orange. Bluish-green (teal) is the compliment of these (exaggerated) skin tones and it makes these 'pop' more. Basically the filmmakers are dumbing down the visuals to a "Pop-WOW!" aesthetic. Apparently peoples brains have become so distracted from multi-tasking duties, that , like babies, they constantly need need something simply and shiny jangled in front of their faces to keep piquing their attention- hence the degradation of the visual palates to a nearly either/or proposition. You don't have to process much information to pick out the orange people in a sea of teal-ish tones making up everything else. I've been meaning to start a threat here to keep track of which catalog titles have been dumbed down by the studios like this, but since you started this one, mind if I post an 'infamy list' here? Some range from subtle but unfortunate (Alien) to wildly over the top ridiculous ( The Sweet Hereafter) I'd kick it off with Alien Aliens River Of No Return Wild River The Sweet Hereafter I've noticed Fox is a major proponent of defacing catalog with these revisionist tones, but they aren't the only ones.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This has been happening for years as has been mentioned and once you see it it can't be unseen. Google orange and teal and tons of blogs and articles come up.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ever since "The Matrix" happened it seems tv shows(CSI), and modern film have been rampant with color filters. When certain catalog movie titles started getting released this way, I knew there was trouble.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
One that looks very teal to me is JULIE & JULIA. I have tried manipulating the color setting to no avail, I just can't get rid of that. Maybe it was intended, but I doubt it, because it is just so wrong for that movie and I do not recall noticing it in the theater.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
bryan4999 said:
One that looks very teal to me is JULIE & JULIA. I have tried manipulating the color setting to no avail, I just can't get rid of that. Maybe it was intended, but I doubt it, because it is just so wrong for that movie and I do not recall noticing it in the theater.
Prior to the late 90's early Aughts, with the introduction of digital color grading, it was impossible to time a scene so that the faces were warmer while at the same time the backgrounds , or specific objects in the background, were timed cooler. This is all one of the wonderful perversions of computing power. And it's being compounded by a lowest common denominator mentality because so many people see this week in and week out at the theater and have now come to think this artificially sweetened look is how movies are supposed to look and anything more subdued and natural is 'boring'.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Paul_Scott said:
This is all one of the wonderful perversions of computing power.
Perversions? It's an expansion of the palette available to artists. Some artists without taste will surely use it poorly, but that doesn't make the tool a perversion- it's just a tool.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Doctorossi said:
Perversions? It's an expansion of the palette available to artists. Some artists without taste will surely use it poorly, but that doesn't make the tool a perversion- it's just a tool.
Exactly.
Mark Oates said:
How long before somebody puts Teal grading on a picture like Citizen Kane, or Casablanca.
Never so why even bring up something that's all but impossible?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John Hodson said:
I think you'll find that was a joke...
Yes, it was so my aplogies to Mark Oates for my dumbness. :) That being said, people immediately jump to hyperbole on the internet so I guess that's made me read everything as a 'serious' post whatever the intent.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Doctorossi said:
I'd hardly call giving everything a cyan wash an expansion of the colour palette (or dialing down the colour for that matter). When I was a colour grader (timer) at a film lab, we couldn't do anything about the contrast or change just the one colour, but to my eyes the pictures at the cinema looked 100% better than they do now, I don't know what's gone wrong. But I don't care too much about modern films, & the cyan even suits some of them, as long as they don't start doing it with their catalogue releases.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I think one reason why so many newer films are plagued with the Teal look is that the same colorists tend to be used for so many of the current studio productions. Each post production house has a group of colorists and in that group are their one or two "stars" who usually work on the bigger titles or are asked for by directors. Other colorists follow their lead and that's when everything coming out of the facilities tends to look the same. If you get one of these technicians who've only worked on newer productions, suddenly pushed into working on catalog titles, it isn't always very pretty. I've been told that more than a few of the six-figure D.I. colorists out there couldn't properly time a catalog title if their lives depended on it. The ones that can though are always asked for and kept really busy with the classic titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks