What's new

movies filmed in and around WTC buildings? (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
I believe at the end of Deep Impact a large tidal wave is shown knocking down both WTC buildings.
BTW, it has been confirmed that the upcoming releases of Zoolander and next May's Spider-Man movies will both have the WTC buildings digitally removed.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

GaryEA

Second Unit
BTW, it has been confirmed that the upcoming releases of Zoolander and next May's Spider-Man movies will both have the WTC buildings digitally removed.
Bad decision. I've heard that Sopranos and Sex and the City is going to re-edit their opening credits to do the same.
Please understand that I recognize the sensitivity of the image of the Towers, but come on. To wipe the images away from productions that were already completed before last Tuesday is an insult to me. The issue is not the Towers, not the people that work there. Why are we removing the Towers? It's the terrorism, violence if you want to boil it down even further, that needs to be looked at.
I'm sorry but this anger has been slowing growing inside me as I hear more and more studios announce that they are going to shield our eyes from a once beautiful and fantastic symbol of both our civilization and our country.
Again, I understand the sensitivity of the situation. I really do. But I feel it's getting out of hand.
This is a country where blockbuster summer films are made about tragic events like Pearl Harbor, and while not everybody enjoys these films, they are usually made with respect.
Now we are back-tracking and removing the Towers from the Manhattan skyline from projects already shot. Yes we are sensitive, but won't it be even more jarring when they are not on the screen? How long are studios and filmmakers going to ignore and dance around Lower Manhattan? Fifty years from now, when Michael Bay's kid makes a movie about it?
Honestly, this has nothing to do with my enjoyment of film and tv programming. I don't think I could get any more angrier at this point for the need to look away from what glory that used to stand in New York City.
Respectfully yours,
Gary

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Daylight. At the end it has a rather beautiful scene of both buildings. My wife and I both wanted to say something but did not have the words.
Frank
------------------
United We Stand
[Edited last by Frank Anderson on September 17, 2001 at 09:20 PM]

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
There are several shots in Crocodile Dundee...I felt a mild shock when I saw the buildings, which I expect will be repeated many times in watching many films.

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
Both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 have brief glimpses of the towers. Ghostbusters occurs when they cross a bridge in their car and the towers are shown behind the bridge in the background. Ghostbusters 2 occurs when they accidently disconnects the power supply while they dig in the street and the lights in the buildings goes off. The lights in the towers goes off.
X-Men shows the towers when the X-Men plans their attack on the statue of liberty and their plan is shown on the 3-D computer layout. The towers may be shown behind the statue of liberty at the final battle however the scenes are too dark to make anything out.
Secret of my success has a very brief shot of the world trade center buildings.
Godzilla (Matthew Broderick version) has several shots of the towers from across the river from the Military command post.
Men in Black also shows the towers in the background during the scene where the baby squid-alien is born.
The very errie thing with Armageddon is that as the second asteroid/ comet is about to hit one of the towers it almost hits the same spot as one of the jets hit. Then when they do show the skyline after the attack both towers are shown with pillars of smoke and gapping holes at almost the same locations as the jet impacts. However they are shown in flip-flopped manner. The tower with the antena is hit in the middle and the other tower is hit at the top. Very errie.
[Edited last by Douglas Kalon on September 18, 2001 at 06:02 AM]

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
There is a rooftop dance number in Godspell which appears to have been shot just prior to completion of the towers. I get a weird feeling watching this movie now, as it is set in early 70's New York and the running "joke" is that no people (other than Jesus and his disciples) are visible on any streets during the movie, except at the very beginning and very end. The lack of people creates a strange atmosphere which is even more haunting now.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
You can bet that for the next few years, all 3 Die Hard movies will not be shown on broadcast TV. While they will probably be still for sale in the stores, I can see FOX not showing any of these films on any of their networks
Die Hard: Images of a skyscraper being blown up
Die Hard 2: Images of planes crashing
Die Hard With a Vengance: Terrorism in New York City
Also, I would not be surprised if FOX deletes from syndication the one Simpson episode when Homer's car is booted in the WTC plaza and he waits for a cop to unboot it. It will end up on DVD, but again, maybe they will take it out of the syndication loop, or local broadcasters may show some taste and not show it ever again.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Mazes & Monsters with Tom Hanks, has scenes inside and on top of the Towers.
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
Here are a few other movies where the World Trade Center appears.
Times are from the DVD, unless noted otherwise.
A Perfect Murder.
24 seconds
8.55 What may be one of the towers is seen through the window to the far left. Green pointed building also seen through window.
65.07 Can't see top, but may be the towers.
65.24 Same as 65.07
66.22 Flyover bridge shot.
Devils Advocate.
17.57 - 18.10 A beautiful time lapse of both towers.
Mars Attacks.
9.19 View of both towers from river.
The Corruptor (w/ Mark Wahlberg)
2.43 Towers seen
12.42 Towers seen
43.45 Very auick pan down from under El-Train.
65.19 - 65.24 What may be an over the op flyover.
Conspiracy Theory
36.40 Far away view?
Basketball Diaries.
3.46 - 3.49 From boat behind credits.
4.26 - 4.28 from boat.
Big Hit.
41.07 May be one tower behind black tower. The one with the antenna.
End of Days.
8.21 - 87.25 Nightime flyby.
12.44 - 12.53 Daytime flyby behind bridge.
Chapter 4 WTC Towers seen through kitchen window. Might appear in other scenes.
15.42 - 15.44 Pan up to top of twoers.
87.30 Towers toward right.
Gremlins 2 (Laserdisc)
1.45 Very close fly towards and by towers.

Bill_S

Auditioning
I just rented "Someone Like You" several nights ago. The Towers stood majesticly in several scenes, and I remember them fondly. There is no need to edit them out of my life.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
It just keeps popping up in the strangest places...
frown.gif

0783231474.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I should think thousands of movies have at least a brief shot of the World Trade Center.
No question. I think the person who started this thread was looking for something with a closer view of what "Ground Zero" looked like before September 11.
M.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
We watched Splash the other night and notice it a few times.
I think they have dinner in one of restaurants at the top although it isn't explicitly mentioned.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I just watched Sisters and there were several glimpses of the towers in the background (as the movie took place on Staten Island).
During one shot, I believe it was still under construction as I noticed the top of one of the towers did not appear finished.
There is also some good shots of it in Working Girl.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
To confirm Keith's suspicions:
Yes, Die Hard With a Vengence does have the twin towers in it.
There's a scene where Sam Jackson looks up from his car/taxi and sees (sees? I can't add an apostrophe to that because it's not a contraction or showing ownership. sees... Is that right???) them.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 31, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Jodee:
Not only are there shots of it in "Working Girl", some of the movie was filmed there. I love "Working Girl", but it's rather sad to look at it (and dozens of other movies) now.
Was it in "The Producers" or "Broadcast News"?
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Luis A

Second Unit
There is a scene from The Family Man when Nicolas Cage drives into the city after waking up to his new life where you see a short pic of the twin towers. I didn't stop the movie, but I paused for a moment. It's still hard to imagine, if that makes any sense. L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks