What's new

movies filmed in and around WTC buildings? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've never actually been to New York; are there any movies that had scenes filmed inside the WTC buildings or on the very outside? Also does anyone know how old these buildings were- someone on TV said they were built in the mid 60's but a web site said they were built in 1973.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Both dates are correct. The project was first conceived in 1960, construction began in the mid-60s, and the center was dedicated in 1973.
One film that springs to mind is 3 Days of the Condor (1975), when Redford and Dunaway visit the local CIA office. Chapter 10 shows their arrival at the center (1:19:34) in a shot that concludes with a pan up to both towers. A few minutes later (1:21:23), there's a scene in the lobby of one tower where they follow Cliff Robertson as he exits the building.
M.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Doesn't Sleepless in Seattle have a scene from the Windows of the World restaurant?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Doesn't Sleepless in Seattle have a scene from the Windows of the World restaurant? [/quote] Are you thinking of the scene between Meg Ryan and Bill Pullman, just before she rushes off to meet Hanks at the Empire State Building? That's set in the Rainbow Room at the top of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. When Ryan sees the red heart appear on the Empire State, she's looking south and you can see the twin towers in the background.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 13, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Escape from NY features a hijacked Air Force One being crashed into a NY building and Snake taking a glider in and landing on the top of the WTC.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Escape from NY features a hijacked Air Force One being crashed into a NY building and Snake taking a glider in and landing on the top of the WTC.[/quote] True, but they never used the real location. It's a fake (and an obvious one at that). I enjoy Escape from New York, but it was made by people with very little knowledge of or regard for the real layout of the city.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 13, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
The last act of TRADING PLACES takes place in the financial district, and I believe the WTC is featured prominently. Most of the rest of the film is based in Philadelphia, though, I think.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I don't know if people were avoiding mentioning it, but Armageddon has it in the initial meteor sequence. It is destroyed by impacting meteors, and I strongly feel that Disney will probably delete this shot from upcoming releases.
I wouldn't advise watching it at the present time.
Trading Places was one of the first things I thought about when the news came that it was attacked.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
I can guarantee that Disney would never delete that scene. There would be a lot of pissed off people and a couple of law suits.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm not sure about this, but doesn't "Die Hard with A Vengance" have a scene with the towers in the background? I think I've seen them before in that scene by the Federal Reserve Bank.
-Keith-

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The opening montage of NY in Wall Street prominently features the top of the towers at around sunrise. It's pretty creepy because it's clearly a fly-by shot from a chopper, and when I saw it I thought to myself that that view would be one of the last seen by some of the passengers. It made me shudder.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Do these count?
6305291500.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000FZ1V.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

It also appears several times in Superman - The Movie.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
[Edited last by Neil S. Bulk on September 16, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Sex and the City is filmed in NY and Ive seen the WTC a few times in it. Just dont ask me which episodes.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Sex & The City shows the WTC not once, but twice during the title sequence alone, including a once innocuous, now eerie time lapse shot of a deep shadow crossing the face of one of the towers.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
If Disney decided to delete that shot from upcoming releases of Armegeddon, that you will not be able to pry my Criterion copy from my big flabby arms.
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Dawn_R

Grip
My friend and I were watching "Sex In The City" on Bravo on Friday, and I suppose it never struck us to recall the significance of it until we saw that opening credit montage, and that shot of the Twin Towers....and right then and there we both froze, both stunned silent and in such renewed shock we couldn't speak. For my own part, I was chilled all over when I saw them standing there....it was very, very difficult to focus just then, let alone to think or see at all clearly for so many, many tears.
And it was last night that I suddenly recalled the climax closing act of "The Peacemaker", and in particular one shot from an airplane window as it flies in to NYC....I haven't watched the film since Tuesday and I don't know when I'll be able to again (one of my favourite films, and it just hurts too much to even *think* about right now), but this much I *do* recall....and it just makes me tremble to recall the city then, and as it is *now*....it breaks my heart. Of course there are those crucial, painful several reasons that I don't feel up to watching "The Peacemaker" just yet....I know you all understand.
Another one I remembered only this evening was "One Fine Day", another favourite film of mine; again I hadn't popped the DVD in the player in quite some time, and I don't know when I'll next be able to do so....because of course the film was shot entirely on location, in NYC in various locales....and.... And it makes me tear up just to think of it. I wish I could be strong enough to say I could watch them again as if utterly impervious and courageous once more....but all things being considered, well....I just can't. Not right now, maybe not for a long time for all I know....and that pains me more than words can say.
Dawn.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Cant believe you all forgot to mention HERCULES IN NEW YORK. Look at the cover.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks