What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
One idea would be for theaters to concentrate on using 2-3 theaters per showing times and show mainly blockbusters Friday-Sunday while imposing the 1/2 - 1/3 capacity showing limits, and then for Mon-Thurs showings, slide in the other non-blockbusters, or older first-run films to offer some variety during the weekdays. That gives theaters a chance to attract as much audience through their facilities to make that movie concession dough, along with the studios making the opening weekend dough.
The problem is, who's going to have popcorn now?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If the film companies would lower the rental rate and the landlords would give a break on the building rentals the theatre folks might stand a chance. Theatre companies need a helping hand.
I'm sure the studios understand that they need the theaters if they want to keep making billions of dollars (streaming or VOD isn't going to generate anywhere near that) so I imagine that, as much as they hate to do it, studios will lower their cut of the ticket.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are a whole bunch of ways it could go, good or bad, but imagine the potential of a studio controlling the entire chain from production through exhibition. If they put effort into it vs just continuing with the same old same old, you’d actually have an entity that could innovate on the production side with the knowledge that it would be properly displayed to audiences. I think that’s one reason innovation has been so stagnant. You’ve got a shrinking handful of guys like Ang Lee experimenting with frame rates and aspect ratios and dimensionality, but it’s all for naught because no one on the exhibition side is willing to reconfigure their facilities for one film from one guy that no one is lining up to follow. Have a system where the innovators are working in both the production and exhibition pipelines and that could get interesting.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The bad side is the smaller movie companies being shut out of the system, such as Lionsgate. They might end up having to sell the company in a merger.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I really believe we're in for some big surprises between now and the end of the year regarding movie theatres; Some will make it and some won't.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The bad side is the smaller movie companies being shut out of the system, such as Lionsgate. They might end up having to sell the company in a merger.

I think they'd be fine. If Paramount owned their own chain, for example, they couldn't populate multiplexes solely with their own films, as they just don't release enough - they'd have to bring in other studios' as well.

I think studios could run only their own movies in the 40s because there weren't nearly as many screens out there. There were no multiplexes, so you didn't need as much content.

Disney would be in the best position simply because they're so big now, but even they would have a tough time filling 16 screens!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am finding the watching a move at home, can bring to mind something the movie may not have intended. We watched Frozen last night. It dawned on me the the queen, Elsa, is practicing social distancing. The virus she’s worried about is her uncontrolled magical powers.

Is that a reach? The parallel, to me, seems obvious.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am finding the watching a move at home, can bring to mind something the movie may not have intended. We watched Frozen last night. It dawned on me the the queen, Elsa, is practicing social distancing. The virus she’s worried about is her uncontrolled magical powers.

Is that a reach? The parallel, to me, seems obvious.

It's a reach. She put herself into total exile, not just staying a small distance from people...

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
On Friday San Diego Comic Con was canceled for this year. Star Wars Celebration is suppose to take place about a month later, I imagine that will be getting canceled soon.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
On Friday San Diego Comic Con was canceled for this year. Star Wars Celebration is suppose to take place about a month later, I imagine that will be getting canceled soon.
Of course it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks