What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"August? For chrissake tomorrow's Megacon. And we will be open for business. This gonna be one of the best conventions we've ever had."

Fortunately, I'd expect attendance from guests and vendors to be incredibly low and celebrity guests will be at zero. The convention and government might only see the money but the people will have enough sense to stay away.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hard to imagine major studios providing licenses to show existing films under these circumstances.

I hope I’m right in this because I just can’t imagine, say, Disney opening themselves up to possible headlines like “Deadly Georgia resurgence traced to Avengers/Lion King screening”.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hard to imagine major studios providing licenses to show existing films under these circumstances.

I'd be curious to know if the big chains have said they'll open in GA if they have permission.

As I recall, AMC and Regal shut down before they had to do so - probably mainly because they had such poor attendance that they were better off closed, but still they went dark before governments forced them to do so...

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I'm curious to know what restrictions the Ga. Governor is putting on movie theatres in terms of number of seats that can be occupied in any given auditorium, etc, etc.
It's way too early for me to go sit in a movie theatre. Someone suggested only 40% of seats could be sold but unless they sold 40% of every auditorium it wouldn't hardly be worth opening back up. Maybe the general public would flock to the theatres since they've been cooped up at home for so long.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is insane to open theaters that won't have anything new to play for the next three months. Studios aren't going to release anything until at least 2 of the 3 of NY, LA, and Chicago are ready to open. I could see some states wanting to open theaters a couple of weeks before the national reopening dates but not this far ahead of that.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't get this either. I wasn't going to commercial theaters even before the pandemic and certainly wouldn't do so now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious to know what restrictions the Ga. Governor is putting on movie theatres in terms of number of seats that can be occupied in any given auditorium, etc, etc.
Probably none. If he's so reckless as to open already, I can't imagine him caring about the amount. As everyone is saying though, there's no way that theaters will actually open so fortunately, it's a moot point.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This isn't going over well. A news poll I saw showed only 2% of the people polled being in favor. I would expect most restaurants, theaters etc to quickly reevaluate because I don't think there will be sufficient customers to justify paying extra staff.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Theater Owners: Many Cinemas Won’t “Be Able To Feasibly Open” Early Despite Some States Lifting COVID-19 Restrictions

Basically any theater that chooses to open will have no new product. They will show whatever has been previously released. Major chains like AMC and Regal won't open their theaters in states that allow them to. It will be Drive Ins and independent theater owners. I assume drive ins would be safe. Not sure where the sound comes from. I haven't been to a drive in in over 40 years.

Good!!!

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Theater Owners: Many Cinemas Won’t “Be Able To Feasibly Open” Early Despite Some States Lifting COVID-19 Restrictions

Basically any theater that chooses to open will have be no new product. They will show whatever has been previously released. Major chains like AMC and Regal won't open their theaters in states that allow them to. It will be Drive Ins and independent theater owners. I assume drive ins would be safe. Not sure where the sound comes from. I haven't been to a drive in over 40 years.

Good!!!
I went to a drive in a few years ago, they used FM radio.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Basically any theater that chooses to open will have no new product. They will show whatever has been previously released.
The Hunt looked cool but I don't know if I need to risk my life and the lives of the people I come in contact with to see it. That's just me though.

I went to a drive in a few years ago, they used FM radio.
Yeah, the drive-in theater closest to me uses FM and I assume that's what nearly all of them do. It's easier and cheaper than maintaining speakers.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So with Drive Ins during the virus spread, keep your windows closed and use the car battery with the motor off for sound. I assume that means no car air conditioning. Do they provide a cable jump if your car battery dies during a double feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks