Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Wayne_j

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Wayne
Take out is available from most restaurants, concessions wouldn't be any different.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see a resurgence of drive in theaters saving moviegoing. The ones that exist may get some bumps over their normal levels if local customers have a choice between a conventional or drive in presentation, but that’s probably it.

A single screen in a multiplex can show a film on a 24/7 basis if there’s demand for it. A drive-in screen can have one, maybe two showings per evening.

Before the pandemic hit, theaters already faced an existential crisis as their position has eroded over a century from being the only way to see filmed entertainment to being the first and best chance to see filmed entertainment to being just one of many ways to see the same content. If movie theaters running a dozen screens with varied showtimes were already having great difficulty getting people to come out vs waiting two or three months to see the same content at home, how would a drive in that can only show the movie once or twice a day, with presentation quality inferior to both indoor venues and many entry level home systems, be in a position to take over?

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I think drive-ins are probably having a bump but every drive-in that I'm aware of doesn't have digital projection so they're only playing 35mm prints of older movies. It's great that they're playing big crowd pleasers to entertain people stuck in a crappy situation but like I said, I'm sure that's only giving them a bump in business and not having them swim around in money a la Scrooge McDuck.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
marv long
I think drive-ins are probably having a bump but every drive-in that I'm aware of doesn't have digital projection so they're only playing 35mm prints of older movies. It's great that they're playing big crowd pleasers to entertain people stuck in a crappy situation but like I said, I'm sure that's only giving them a bump in business and not having them swim around in money a la Scrooge McDuck.
Our local Drive-In (Ruskin, FL) does have a digital projector - so that makes one...

Reactions: TravisR

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Pete

Sam Posten

Reaction score
Website
www.navesink.net
Real Name
Sam Posten
Currently at 74% on rotten tomatoes.
Yeah, that's not up for debate. What is is if anyone will do $20 rentals. CNN didn't have a good answer to that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, that's not up for debate. What is is if anyone will do $20 rentals. CNN didn't have a good answer to that.
IMHO, not many. To get me it would have to be very special, like a 3D streaming rental of the next Avatar.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Good luck with that. =p
I’m just saying that’s what it would take to get me to pay $20, not commenting on the odds of it happening.

Reactions: Sam Posten

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
It bears that repeating that once the "Wow, a new movie in my house" factor quickly wears off, that $20 cost is going to seem even more expensive and not worth it for everything except big franchise movies. In other words, the number of people who are paying $20 for a rental now is only going to get smaller.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
It bears that repeating that once the "Wow, a new movie in my house" factor quickly wears off, that $20 cost is going to seem even more expensive and not worth it for everything except big franchise movies. In other words, the number of people who are paying $20 for a rental now is only going to get smaller.
I also think that because the "new movie" didn't actually play on screens, it loses some luster.

Even if we know "Trolls 2" was supposed to be on screens right now, it still feels like a direct to video flick, and I think that makes it less appealing in a weird way...

Reactions: TravisR

Wayne_j

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Wayne
Just anecdotally I know the number of people watching Trolls 2 is more than 1, I work at a store that sells trolls toys and some customers mentioned that they are watching it tonight.

Chip_HT

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chip
I took a survey from Vudu tonight, and part of it was about their Theater at Home, or however they've branded it. I said I wasn't interested, largely because if I'm paying $20 for a movie, I better be getting a disc with it that I can keep. Besides, if I wait three months, I can get the same movie for cheaper, whether purchase or rental.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claytonthsn