What's new

movie to break in my new theatre? (1 Viewer)

Derek_P

Stunt Coordinator
i am in the process of building my home theatre.... click link below......

what movie should be the movie i use to...break it in??? :)

common people post your suggestions...

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I am far from common but I shall answer your question anyway. :D

The answer depends on what you want to do. If it's to honor film as a medium and inaugerate it with the best films available on DVD, then I'd say go the classic route with Gone With the Wind or Citizen Kane or Casablanca; something with the smell of pop corn and a sense of movie majesty in it.

Of course...

that's not what most people do..... they pick the loudest, most sensational, most eye-opening DVD in their collection. In that sense something like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring EE is perfect because it'll feed your jones and give you a sense of movie history. The best part is you can just keep going after that with Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE. Seeing as Star Wars: A New Hope isn't available, this is the next best thing.

P.S.- If you have to limit your viewing to just what you have in your current collection (a shame not to get something new just for the occasion :p)) then definitely Toy Story and Toy Story 2. They are outstanding DVDs for both the ear and the eye.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please post DVD-related questions here in Software. Further, do as advised and run a search; this question is asked frequently. But I'll let the thread stand.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry, I don't think I'm common enough to provide recommendations.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Fight Club
Se7en
The Fast and the Furious
Toy Story / Toy Story 2

After you are done with that go out and purchase.

Gattaca: Superbit
Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit

Any Lord of the Rings EE will kick major ass as well.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Uncommon movie: Pink Flamingos
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Lord of the Rings, Fellowship EE

The Fifth Element Superbit

Terminator 2 (Ultimate or Extreme edition)

Any Pixar will look great!

These are "common" choices, I would guess.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a new 27" Flat screen tv for xmas. Though it may not sound like a MASSIVE OUTSTANDING system, keep in mind that it was a huge step up from the 13" TV/VCR combo I had been using since my previous set was stolen....

So, it was really big to me...

This and the theatre system I got for xmas had the same problem. I considered LofArabia, Dr. Strangelove, LOTR:FOTR, and a couple others, but eventually chose as my inaugural DVD...

Finding Nemo

The only studio to NEVER have failed me, continuously putting out amazing feature packed disks, and the most rich beautiful colors on a DVD in recent memory... After the film, I even turned on the virtual aquariums while I did house work...

Just my 2 cents...

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Brian: What TV did you get? I get the feeling you are like me and just can't quite afford those wonderful widscreen digital TVs. Does your TV have a squeeze mode?

I have a 27" JVC I'Art with the squeeze mode and I am absolutly amazed at how great such a cheap tv can look. Once I tweaked the colour and geometry (the geometry was terrible out of the box) this TV looks as good as similar sized progresisve scan CRT. When watching DVD I can't see any scanlines and never notice any combing artifacts, even with non anamorphic discs.

I just thought I would post this because as a direct result of reading this forum I foten get caught up with upgrade fever, and I forget to enjoy what I have, which is pretty damn good.

Ok, I am sorry to hijack this thread. I originaly just wanted to second the recomendation for Finding Nemo. Before I had a home theatre I never would have given "kids" films a second thought.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I recommend the following:

(If you can get your hands on it) Terminator 2: Judgement Day Ultimate Edition DTS
Any Lord of the Rings DVD
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Resident Evil (Superbit)
X2: X-Men United
Bad Boys 2
Predator DTS
Tombstone: Director's Cut - Vista Series

:D

Eric Eash

Second Unit
it looks like you have awhile to go. in the new few months, i'm sure there is going to be a "best of 2004" dvd come out which will do great. films coming out in the next few months which will no doubt be reference quality are;

Schindlers List
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Matrix Revolutions
The Last Samurai
School of Rock

that's all i can think of right now, current films not mentioned;

Matrix 1 & 2
Blade 1 & 2
Alien Quadtrilogy
Saving Private Ryan DTS
Black Hawk Down 3-disc
Band of Brothers
The big Lebowski (not reference, just my favorite)

eric

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
You may not have given this movie a 2nd thought but if you want something new, BAD BOYS II is the best looking DVD I've seen in a long time, Michael Bay sure knows how to present an awesome picture (remember The Rock?)!

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
DAS BOOT
CAST AWAY
APOLLO 13
LAST OF THE MOHICANS
THE LION KING
JUDGE DREDD
PATTON

- Not necessarily in that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks