What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mouth Sore (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I've been having trouble swallowing lately. Everytime I swallow, my mouth tingles (like when you eat something sour.) I noticed that there is a tiny hole on the inside of my mouth, under my gums. I can fit my tongue in there. I think that this is the cause of the mouth pain because saliva is getting in there. I'm afraid of what this might be, but some people have told me it might be a canker sore. It's not really a sore, but a hole. Has anyone had this or know of what it might be? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Do you happen to chew tobacco? A hole in your mouth big enough for your tongue sounds awfully unusal to me. Please seek a professional opinion.

- Colton

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
It might be what's called an "absesse", which is like an ulcer of the mouth. I get them all the time, but my family is prone to bad gums. I get them when I am stressed. They sound similar to what you are experiencing, but the symptoms sound different. Mine don't tingle, but just hurt like hell. Takes about 10-14 days before they simply just go away. My periodontist recommends rinsing with warm salt water to speed the healing process. Hope that helps.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If it's a small hole and white, then it's likely just a canker sore. I get these suckers from time to time and they are incredibly painful. For me, the tingling is just the beginning and after a day or two, it becomes full on pain. That is, until a few days later when it starts to heal, then I get the tingling again. Beware of the orange juice and tomato sauce -- acidic things make it much, much worse!

Since I get them often my dentist gave me a steroid gel to put on them, which makes them heal incredibly fast. But in the end, there's not much you can do but let them run their course.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If its a canker, wet your finger, dip it in salt and press it on the canker. Painful? Yes, but it helps the healing and rather quickly.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I did a research on this in college and concluded that eating fried food is part of it(high heating of unsaturated fatty acids). This includes chips. Chinese people call it "hot air."

Go to a Chinese store that sell Chinese medicine or herbs and see if you can find this black powder call "watermelon frost." Watermelon frost is only part of the ingredient. Apply it and let it create a seal over the sore (hold your lips out if you can to avoid the saliva washing it away). What it does is it dries the opening allowing it to heal 1/3 the time faster. I've tried it myself. Otherwise, it usually takes a week if you do nothing.

I tried the salt idea when I was young and wasn't happy with the pain. It's like covering an open wound with alcohol :). I can't verify whether it works or not but if you're man enough, do it. It can't hurt. No pun intended :).

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ahh, I just had my first canker sore in years and man did it hurt. What a pain.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One thing a canker is not, is a hole. It looks more like a zit. If it's an actual hole that you can stick your tongue into, go see a doc.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
i think ihad an abscess a few weeks ago.. i was chewing gum all day, while i was studying for exams. i felt under my tongue a round blister, i accidently popped it with my tongue... it was nasssssty...

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Canker sores, aka apthous ulcers, are indeed 'holes' in the mucosal lining of your mouth. 'Hole' is a bit of an exaggeration, but they are shallow depressions which typically have a whitish base at the bottom and the normal mucosal tissue surrounding it tends to be erythematous (reddened). Lots of theories as to why they happen...stress, foods, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate in toothpaste, etc. They rarely happen on the tongue. They hurt like the dickens. A nonpainful ulcer should concern you about syphillis.

Anyways, they are not like pimples.
If you have what appears to be a clear pimple in your mouth/lips, you should be concerned about herpes. Specially if there are multiple ones clustered together. Otherwise, a lone one that isn't painful is likely just filled with mucous.
If it looks like a pimple (bump with cloudly/white contents)...see a doctor. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what that could be.

Chris

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I was just trying to state that they "look" like pimples even though they are not.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really not trying to be mean or belabor the point, but if the pimples on your face are ulcerations, you should see a dermatologist. In my best attempt at layman's terms, pimples are bumps/swellings with a clear skin covering with a collection of fluid/pus underneath. Sorta like a blister. They typically are from 1 mm to say maybe 5 mm or so wide. Alternatively, canker sores/apthous ulcers do not protrude from the skin/mucosal surface (in fact, they erode into the surface), they don't have a 'covering' of skin, they don't have a collection of fluid (although some whitish substance may cover the base of the ulcer). They can vary in size, sometimes up to 20 mm...
If I knew how to post a pic I would...

chris

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I can prove to anyone that fried food is the cause. I've done it with friends and family and win the bet each time. In fact, I have one right now behind my lower lip after my sister didn't believe me. I ate a lot of fried food and told her that I'll show her the sore in about 1-2 days. Win again. Got a bonus one in my tongue too. Those in the tongue are different. They are just an annoying red swollen pimple-like thing. Don't break open and no where near as painful.

The cause is free radical damaging the tissue. I presented the theory to my nutrition professor at UC Berkeley and they felt it was a plausible explanation. Some people are more sensitive than others. Because I was a nutrition major and was heavy in excercise and weight training, I ate healthy all my life so I'm sensitive to junk food such as fried food. The sensitivity also seems to be genetic too because my brother can also prove it to people :).

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
My sore is definitely not of the blister type. It is like a small crater (although calling it a crater may be too dramatic)...more of an indentation in the skin. I can fit the tip of my tongue down in it and whenever I swallow, my saliva gets in it and makes my throat tingle.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
It's a canker sore.
I get them at least once a month or once every two months. I get them if I take too much vitamin c or drink orange juice or eat oranges. If I bite my check it turns into one. If I eat really salty foods like ham, chips, peanuts, etc.. I'll usually have one in two days.
They always last a week and never shorter. I have tried a ton of stuff and it always takes a week to go a way regardless.
I think it's because of a build up of too much acid in your system. I am constantly stressed and notice I get them more often when I am really stressed. I hardly drink water and that probably doesn't neutralize all the extra acid my body produces from the stress or whatever.
Try putting a cotton swab soaked in listerine or just swishing your mouth with it for like 20 seconds. That will numb the pain for a while and clean it too. Kanka works well, but doesn't last too long. Enough to give you some relief if it bugs you when you eat or something.
I don't know...

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

You sound very knowledgable about this subject so.....there are supplements out now that are NO2 boosters that are supposed to keep your pump after working out for a long time. They say on them people that get cold sores may want to stay away from them. Any idea why?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Someone above mentioned "herpes" which most mouth sores actually are. There is treatment but no cure for herpes of any type. A herpes outbreak typically occurs when your immune system is depressed or after stress occurs.

Scott, you should have your mouth problem checked and determined what it actually is if only to keep it from getting worse. If it is a "crater" then food particles can and will get lodged there and could set up an infection.
Good luck.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I think what you have is called a 'draining fistular'. It is caused by an abcess that ruptured sometime in the past and drained in the roof of the mouth leaving the hole. if it is such, you will be loosing a tooth. see a dentist.

Try a google search on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks