Mothman Prophecies: SE on 5/27/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Columbia Tristar has just a announced a number of great new titles to round out their May schedule.

Leading the pack is a 2-disc special edition of The Mothman Prophecies. The set will arrive with an anamorphic transfer (2.35:1), English & French DD 5.1 audio, and subtitles. Extras include an audio commentary with director Mark Pellington, 5 deleted scenes, "Search for the Mothman" documentary, "Day By Day: A Director's Journey - The Road In" and ""Day By Day: A Director's Journey - The Road Home" featurettes, "Halflight" Music Video, and trailers. Retail is $27.95.

A new 2-disc Charlie's Angels: Superbit Deluxe is next up. The set will come with a 16x9 transfer, DD 5.1 and DTS audio tracks, and all the extras from the previous release. Retail is $24.95.

Also look for Mississippi Masala, Charlie's Angels: The Complete First Season 5-disc set (SRP $49.94), the Best of Charlie's Angels single-disc, and a Lou Diamond Philips 3-pack to also street on May 27th. (No specs yet on these).

2. Patrick Mirza

[​IMG]

3. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    Does Columbia Tristar only sell DVD's through a single internet vendor, now, or do all of their boxes now carry the name of a web site?! This looks like advertising to me. I saw a post like this last week, as well, and I would hope there is some Forum rule against this.

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

grin,

that's a 'watermark' for Pat's image push.

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Sounds great, and I like how they're only including the movie(plus a commentary) on the first disc. I just hope they don't do a halfassed job on the audio and video so they have an excuse to release a Superbit somewhere down the line. Sony's been doing that a lot lately.

6. Patrick Mirza

Marking scans help control unscrupulous "pilfering" by other DVD websites.

7. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Cool. I held off buying the first release because of the special edition rumors. I'll pick this one up, but I think the cover could've been better....especially without that darn "davisdvd.com" on there.:wink:

8. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I apologize. I did not actually visit the site. Good site!

9. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES is an excellent film based on happenings that I have studied a lot in the past because of interest, and even though I have the first release (couldn't wait), this SE will by all means be added to my collection immediately upon release! The version I have now has much better cover art though.

10. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Will this anamorphic picture be any different from the 1st release??

I am pretty disappointed that it is not including a DTS track. I love the ambient sound in this movie and I think the addition of DTS would have only improved this.

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I was a bit disappointed when I saw the film theatrically, but the SE features on the R4 Australian release looked inviting to me. Since the specs on the forthcoming R1 release are the same as on that R4 release, I may get the R1 to avoid PAL conversion artifacts. Plus, the R4 release retails for ~$20 USD, so hopefully the R1 release will be available below that.

DJ

12. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Looks great but geez, what happened to the cover? It's like invasion of the overly crowded cast shot. The old release sported the original poster which I was surprised they did afterall. Still nice to see it getting the SE treatment.

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

thanks Patrick!

I was afraid they might not do this, so I just broke down and bought the budget reissue @$12.00 a moth....er, MONTH ago, but I can sell it off....

Like a few others, ive grown obsessed with TMP...

and a THANK YOU to SONY.

cant wait for the eventual SUPERBIT™ Edition.....[​IMG]

14. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

AWESOME! I love this movie, on my top 10 of 2002. I was gona stop waiting for a R1 SE and just buy the 2discer from Australia.
    I kind of liked R4's brown/orangish tone of the cover but R1's is ok too, and the bridge on the cover for those that seen the movie plus the cold blue tone fits well.

Now, extras on R4 were:

Format: Widescreen. Ratio 2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced. One singled-sided, dual-layer disc and one singled-sided, single-layer disc.

Language: English. Dolby Digital 5.1.

Subtitles: English for the Hearing Impaired.

Extras: Director's audio commentary, deleted scenes, cast and crew bios, picture disc, trailers, Search for the Mothman, Day-by-Day a Director's Journey - the Road In, Day-by-Day a Director's Journey - the Road Home, Half-Light music video from Low.

Seems exactly the same, only I'll get it cheaper now as R4 would cost about $30 without access to multiple retailers and sales.

15. Chris Tedesco

Mark,

Were you kidding about the Superbit edition or were you guessing???

16. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant news! Thanks Patrick!

17. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Love the movie...have the original release....and I might get the new one...depends on how good the extras are...

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Loved the movie & will definitely be upgrading here. I still am fascinated by the MPAA rating of "PG-13 for Terror" It is one of the scariest movies I've seen in a long time--mostly due to the hugely effective sound mix.

19. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Man, am I HAPPY that I held off purchasing this one! I really enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and loved the soundtrack. If you thought the movie was weird, READ THE BOOK! It beat covering Men in Black decades before Will Smith even became the Fresh Prince! [​IMG]

20. Chris Tedesco

Well at least the film is on one disk and the features on another. Maybe this will give the disk room to breath. Hopefully taken care of some of the video problems.

I'm still pissed it didn't come with DTS.[​IMG]