What's new

Most HDTV owners clueless? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I was at radio shack the other day looking for some long run cables in a pinch.

The sales person actually told me, that two shorter video cables with a coupler (just a straight wire/connector coupler) had better performance than one long video cable run. :)

Gotta love it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Where do they get this stuff? This thread has been funny and frustrating at the same time.

John S

Senior HTF Member
My significant other was impressed at how I entirely dismissed the sales person through a bunch of mis statements. :)

But that one I had to admit took the cake.

They did not really have what I needed (As long as I needed), so the sales person went into full rant about why you should not run longer than they offer.

I smiled and simply said, "Often times, you do not have a choice, it has to get from here to there."

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have wanted to have a T Shirt made up that I can wear when I got into BB or CC or really any retail electronics store that says:

Yes I know what:

DVD
HDTV
SCD
Plasma
DLP
LCOS
DILA
HD-DVD
Blue Ray
EDTV
LCD
SED
OLED
HTPC
RPTV
FPTV
1080p, 1080i, 720p, 7201, 540p, 540i, 480p and 480i
are, how they work and what the acronym stands for.

If you don't (or think you do but realy don't) know then don't talk to me while I am in this store. And go bother someone else.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly why I think Blu-ray and HD DVD aren't going to go anywhere very fast. Most (not all :) ) people just don't care about HD vs SD vs ED, or understand the differences, or *want* to understand the differences.

Shoot, how many people do you think have bought ED 42" plasmas over the years thinking they got HD?

Parker- You forgot 768p. ;)

Seriously, I think that'd be a cool T-shirt for HTF members. :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Saw this in the IMDB news:I think that last sentence might be part of the problem ;).

NateS

Agent
As a sales weenie for a big box company (Sears), I gotta agree with everything that has been said here to this point. I recieved no meaningful training when I started in their electronics dept. All my information has been obtained through my own research, and most of my opinions and suggestions originate through seeing them approved on this site.

It's really true though, the average customer really has no clue about what they are looking for. Unfortunately, many of my associates do not have a clue either. It's sad, but the company just does not do a good job training everyone...

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Nate

Maybe as you put it....being a weenie for a big box company..........you could start the BMBEFCOHDTV (Brick & Mortar Better Education for Consumers on High Definition Television) to better educate the public on the virtues of modern TV/display technology so that they could avoid any of the modern day pitfall of HDTV.

I guarantee that if you mention this to your supervisor that one of three things or a combo of these things will happen. 1) You'll get fired 2) you'll get promoted 3) your boss will fire you steal your idea and HE'LL get promoted.

NATE for President!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

How true. My wife couldn't care less. She usually just has network TV on as an ambient experience, and doesn't care how it looks.

It's the same with audio. As I upgrade my equipment, she insists she can't hear a difference.

I think this attitude with audio and video is prevalent amongst most folks, except us gadget heads.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks