What's new

More Superbits Coming Oct. 26th (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Four on my list BBII, Cliffhanger (I"ve been turning it away from the cheap bin waiting for DTS), Underworld ans S.W.A.T.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
A Superbit Deluxe of all the above titles would be more welcome, but I doubt it will happen.

To be honest, Strangelove doesn't need a Superbit with DTS, etc. It simply needs a new, cleaned-up, hi-def transfer with as high a bitrate as possible plus the interesting extras that are on the current edition.

What it doesn't need is a bare bones Superbit edition with a flat DTS track.

There's a Superbit edition of Close Encounters in Japan with - I believe, although I could be wrong - full bitrate DTS. I'm surprised that Columbia are not releasing that hot chestnut in the U.S.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Looks like BBII and Cliffhanger(thank you!) and maybe SWAT.

I still need to pick up a few that have already been released such as Vertical Limit and Leon:The Professional.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
How about:

Jerry Maguire (current SE disc looks great but would welcome anything better)

Groundhog Day

My Best Friend's Wedding

Stripes

I realize these are not your typical demo discs but deserve the best. Maybe these will have to wait for HD-DVD or whatever format Sony is doing.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Don't waste your money on this Superbit title. If you have the corrected original release, stick with that.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Dammit! I used to be a fan of this Superbit thing, but considering I own exceptionally good looking/sounding versions of...

S.W.A.T. Special Edition
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Underworld
Bad Boys II

..this is crap!!! :angry:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
To be fair I expect almost every movie Columbia makes to come out in Superbit form. I would think others think the same way.

There are several movies on that list that I'd buy and I'm happy I waited.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator

So the superbit isnt any step up? I want the international version, and saw the superbit...

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
You can get the regular international version "Leon" pretty much anywhere, and the superbit version possesses almost no improvement whatsoever. Save your money and get the standard Leon disk ->

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If they do a 5.1 mix of Dr. Strangelove the same way they did the 5.1 mixes for the Warner Kubrick titles, that could be nice. This would be contingent on having the isolated dialog and effects mag tracks and being able to track down stereo sources for the music cues.

Regards,

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, thanks Matt. "The Professional" was shown late last night on Bravo. I wasn't going to watch it, and just wait till I could watch the "good" version but I couldn't help it. I have no idea why I haven't bought this movie yet, it is definetely one of my favorites.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Columbia has a pristine restored print of DR. STRANGELOVE handy-they just didnt bother using it on the last SE.....it had better show up on the new SB or else...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Always good to hear of new SB titles.
None of these interest me.
Will be tough to top the current OAaTiM. WSR has it as a reference disc.
I'll be more intested, too see how many of the DTS tracks suffer from drop outs!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I think about the only upgrade would be the DTS track. Then again, MAYBE upping the bitrate would improve the transfer, but it might not be able to look any better due to it being filmed on HD video. I thought it really showed the limits of digital, but maybe it was just due to being compressed on DVD. I thought it looked good theatrically.

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Underworld Superbit update: It looks like this version will be the theatrical cut of the film!

I just bought the extended version, so I think that I will have to pass on this superbit, which is hard to believe that I'm saying this.

RF

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Just wait, there will be an extended edition superbit of Underworld at some point, I guar-en-tee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks