What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
No problems so far. Sony DVP-S560D

Any specific chapters I should look at besides chp. 30?

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
Troubling news. I was planning to pick up this title soon, on the basis of the excellent reviews.

I have a Pioneer DV-414. Anyone out there have this player and MONSTERS, INC? I am hoping there won't be a problem.

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
It hangs on my 525 also. I am able, when it freezes, to fast forward past the layer change, and it plays fine after that.
Too bad they couldn't have avoided a layer change with only 3 minutes before the end of the movie. :frowning:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bill 100%. Great content, but their DVDs have an inordinately high number of compatibility problems. It's been happening for years, so I guess they just don't care.

-Dave

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in the Monsters review thread, but wanted to post it separately to see if anyone else was noticing this.

There seems to be something wrong with the sound (at least on my disk) during the previews and the THX intro. I've seen others mention how anemic the previews sound, and I agree. But then I don't know exactly how those previews should sound.

BUT, I do know how the THX intro should sound. After watching it on Monsters, I thought something was wrong with my setup. Almost no bass AT ALL . So I popped in Toy Story 2 and watched the same exact THX intro. Sounded as awesome as ever, with the room shaking the whole time. Then I watched the first few minutes of TS2, just to make sure. When the doors into Zurg's fortress start opening, I thought something was going to fall off the walls (Dual SVS 16-46CS+ in a relatively small room).

Put back in Monsters and there was the wimpy THX intro again. No matter how loud I turned it up, the bass still was way low (almost as if I had turned off the amp for my subs). I skipped through the movie, to where I read in Ron's review that the exploding sock had really cool bass. IT DOES! Brief, but massive "WHUMP" (heard something rattle in the kitchen). Then I watched the whole movie. Awesome bass throughout (sounds REALLY cool when the power surges).

So apparently it's just the stuff before the movie. Anybody else getting this, or could I possibly have a defective disk? Not really a big deal, but I wonder if Disney will do anything about it, assuming all disks are affected.

David

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that too. It occured on my computer, but not on my DVD player. It happens just as Mike and Sully come thru the door leading into the room where Boo's door has been reassembled.

Brett Burgess

Auditioning
Mine froze for a second or so as well. I have a Panasonic RP 91.
I was very surprised to see the picture freeze. I did not expect there to be a layer change. I always assumed that DVD's with both a full screen and widescreen version on the same side of the disc (October Sky is one I remember) would place the full screen movie on one layer and the widescreen movie on another.
I thought the freeze might be a layer change, but for a few minutes I thought I had a bad disc. If it wasn't for this forum, I likely would have been taking my copy back to exchange it.
Oh well. Minor problem on an otherwise great DVD. Too bad the layer change did not end up on the full screen portion of the DVD. :)

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I was juuuust coming on the HTF to report that I was having this very problem at the exact same spot (between Chapter 30 and 31/ 84:01) when I saw this thread had been started.
Suffice it to say that I have the problem as well, and my player is a Pioneer DV-414, so William, you'll probably have the same problem that I did if the type of player is indeed the problem (as I suspect it is). I'm kind of disappointed that this happened since I would be rewatching it a lot, and now I'll have to skip forward when I do watch it every single time. Small complaint I know, but annoying nonetheless.
As for BVHE, I'm sure they're sick of hearing from me. I just called them earlier to arrange for a replacement cover for "Monsters Inc." as those dreaded security tape strips managed to rip about a tenth of an inch of print off the top back cover of my DVD. Add to that the fact that I just went through the process of having "Jackie Brown" replaced, and BVHE has heard from me several times in the past month.
Not to bash anyone either, but the only times I've ever had any problems with discs has been the most recent purchases I made of "Jackie Brown" and "Monsters Inc." Disappointing to say the least.:frowning:

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This has been answered in other threads. The THX intro on Toy Story 2 was remixed for EX and the extra bass was added. The sound on the intro on Monsters is the original mix and bass only occurs during the stampede (damnit Val, I was in a stampede once!)

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, you're right, I did finally notice SOME bass during the stampede. But it seemed like less than I was use to during the TS2 stampede (not sure though). Boy once you've gotten use to the TS2 version, this version really sounds like crap.

David

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that too. It occured on my computer, but not on my DVD player.
Computers should never display a layer change; they buffer the video the same way a "shockproof" CD walkman-type players buffer audio. So the layer change will never appear on a computer driven DVD movie.

For my part, I set my son up in the bedroom on the el cheapo Mintek player while I watched the season premiere of That 70's Show. I came in to watch the end with him, and saw the scene you are all discussing.

I didn't even notice a layer change. Or any freezing/pausing whatsoever. Sorry. Worked like a charm here!

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Same sad story here. I searched the recent articles to see if my defective disc was isolated or not.
I have a Pioneer 414 and the wide-screen movie freezes at 84.01 just as chapter 30 ends. It's not like Pioneer is some new import brand cranking out low end players that also play MP3s. The Pioneer 414 is one of the original workhorses.
First the Tarzan audio problem and now this. Isn't "THX Certified" supposed to mean something??:angry:

cwhite

Second Unit
I have a Pioneer 414 and I'm encountering the same problem as everyone else here-at 84:01. It must be a layer change. I guess there's no sense in exchanging it for another!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I will merge all threads that deal with technical problems into this single thread to keep things from becoming too fragmented.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I too had this problem with Monster's on my Pioneer DV-414. The only reason I'm not terribly upset is that it has happened just like this before with The Royal Tennenbaums. In both cases, the layer change was at a chapter stop, and both discs are from Buena Vista. Do I smell a coincidence? Anyhow, all I did was skip to the next track and everything was fine. Yes it is annoying, but I can survive with it until I can get a better DVD player for the HDTV I'll never be able to afford...

AJ Garman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks