Monster RCA 'Y' splitters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I need 3 of them to wire up 3 Adcom amps I just bought so I can bi-amp my mains and center. Is there a BIG difference in sound quality between the basic $5 'Y' and the $15 'Y'?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The main differences will be the robustness of the connectors and a lifetime guarantee.

DJ

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    What I should of said was, would there be a BIG difference in sound quality. But, no matter, I just went and bought the $15 'Y's. BB has 10% off all cables.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Probably not, but for the small cost differential, I think you did the right thing by having your bases covered.

What kind of adcom amps did you get? I've had good luck with them in the past, and I still use a GFA-5400 to power my Tempest.

DJ

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The GFA-535's. Picked them up for $100 each. I've been receiver based, this is my first step into seperates.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The splitters are what? a foot in length? That short of run, there shouldn't be any sonic differences.

Bruce

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, cables don't have to be different in length or long to sound different. I am not saying that there is going to be a difference between $5 and $15 Y-adapters, but short cables can sound different.

A high-end dealer in my area has Cardas Y-adapters for $90 each. I hope they would outperform the Monster Y-adapters given the price differential. Cardas makes some great cables.

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also go to www.vampirewire.com and call them (I think they are in FL and buy their 'Y' Adapters. They have a couple of models. They are a bit better than the kind with cables since there is no cable. It goes from a male RCA to 2 female RCAs and then you just run cables from the female RCAs the same as you would female RCA jacks on a preamp or receiver output. If those are too pricey (I think they are around $20/pair, Parts Express, www.partsecpress.com, has a cheaper version of the same thing and my recollection is that they are about $4.50 each or $9 for a pair.

9. Mike Ilano

Mike Ilano Extra

Ron
    How did the bi-amping go? Is there a big difference in sound quality? I've been thinking about doing the same but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.[​IMG]
    MIKEOUR HT!

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Mike, I wrote up a quick experience HERE. I have not had any time to really get in and tweak or listen. Plus, I have new interconnects coming in a week.
    I had my speakers bi-wired off my Marantz. But, going from a receiver to amps and bi-amping is a huge increase in sound quality.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Mike Ilano

Mike Ilano Extra

Thanks! It'll be my next tweak it seems.....[​IMG]
    MIKE
    OUR HT!