whats the difference between RCA analog interconnects and Subwoofer cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by David K., Aug 27, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I am currently using some cheap digital coaxial cables, and i get some humming problems sometimes.

I want to buy some really nice cables, I noticed that 2 boutique rca interconnects are cheaper then one boutique subwoofer cable. Can someone explain to me the difference? I am currrently using two subwoofers at the moment using a monster y-splitter at the pre out and two generic cheapo digital coaxial cables. I think they are 75 ohm, but i am not sure since they are so cheap.

Sometimes my subs will hum really loud on rare instances, and the bottom sub (I have them stacked) does not switch off standby mode, itll turn off.. then quickly back on.
    I dont know if its the sub, if its because its below another sub, or the cable.

I was thinking about buying RCA interconnects for sub cables, which is perfect for me since I need two of the,, and they are cheaper.

can some eplain if it is safe to do this and will the performance be effected?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I doubt the hum relates to the cable you are using, but I suppose you can just disconnect the cable when its humming and see what happens.

Then again, for reasons I can not explain, many subs will hum unless you use a cheater plug to lift the ground connection on the AC cord. My Klipsch and HSU subs actually were shipped with a cheater plug.

Hum normally implies ground loops between components (which may occur when you have the sub plugged into your source), so you may find that disconnecting the cable DOES stop the hum, but its not really cause by the cable; its just a trigger mechanism.

In which case, you should try the AC cheater plug.

And to answer your question, there is no difference between an RCA cable and a Sub cable. Its just marketing bull sh*t. A standard audio grade RCA to RCA will work fine, as will an RCA to RCA 75 ohm Video cable (the coax you mention.

BGL

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

whats this talk about grounded and ungrounded interconnects i always read about then? heartland cables have some canare cables pretty cheap, i was thinking about using their canare rca interconnects for sub cables, the ones i have are pretty thin about 1/4". My current cables are cheaply made. heartland also offer the beldons with bullet plugs, but from some research people tell me bullet plugs do not work well for subwoofers? :/

4. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

First off, what kind of subs do you have, and second, why on earth would you stack them?

If they are just cheaper jobbies, don't go and blow your load on great cables. Thats like putting expensive oil in your 83 Chevette.

Big Bri is right by the sounds of it, ground loop.

5. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I have 2 sony sawm 40s stacked. they arent the best subs in the world, but i plan my subs to be the next upgrade. I intend to keep the cables when I upgrade, But id thought new cables might help out a bit more while I wait for the upgrade.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You got me.

I know I have seen supposedly "directional" cables which I think have the shield disconnected at one end...what that does in terms of SQ I have no clue. Perhaps there are some other reasons for it, but as you might guess, I consider 99.9999% of all fancy cable claims to be utter bull sh*t. But thats just me.

As for you hum, I again think a cheater plug may be the answer. As I said, both my subs hum like hell w/o cheater plugs.

Don't know what a bullet plug is, but if its an RCA, and your sub has RCA jacks, I can't see why it would not work with a sub. Belden and Canare make industry standard products, free of hype and baloney. Any cable you make with Belden cable and Canare RCA plugs should work fine with your subs.

BGL

7. David K.

David K. Second Unit

thanks for the info,

bullet plugs are an eichmann design, resin body with very minimal metal used for contact, its supposed to be a mroe pure signal or something.

heartland cables has some canare interconnects, I think i might just get those.

they can run for more then 40 dollars for an 8 foot set anyhow, so i dont think itll be too expensive of an upgrade.

8. Paul Stanley

Dave, if you want good cables, check out www.cobaltcable.com they are beyond legit, and at nice prices.

9. David K.

David K. Second Unit

cobalt cables uses canare cabling and charges 2-3 times more then blue jeans and heartland for the identical product. the only difference is cobalt uses heat shrink to hide the name.

they also use 10 awg gepko zip cord for their speaker cables and charge you boutique cable prices BTW. I would not classify 600% mark up legit.

10. Paul Stanley

If you're happy with the "legit" generic look of Blue Jeans then knock yourself out.

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    All my cables buried behind the equipment, so I can’t see them.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    David,

To address some of your concerns, there’s no reason to buy a high-priced subwoofer cable. There is no “detail” or “resolution” in low frequencies that will be magically unveiled with the right cable. There’s no reason not to get the cheapest thing you can find for this, which for a long run is generally stock pre-terminated RG-59 or RG-6 coaxial with a couple of F-to-RCA adapters for both ends.

Assuming the humming problem is not caused by faulty cables, it’s probably a ground loop. Usually the first place to look for one is a CATV or sat feed. Try disconnecting it and see if the problem goes away.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. David K.

David K. Second Unit

well the humming hasnt happened for some time, i think the last time it happened was when i installed my new speaker cables, and i had to turn of the subs and turn them back on and it went away. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i stack my subs because it sounds better to me, Ive had them on the left and right side of the room, front and back, and it always sounded thin, then one day someone suggested stacking them, and i did. and BOOM super bass that shook the house. so ive kept it like that ever since. Im sure having them side by side will give the same effect, but i doont have horizontal room [​IMG].

regarding the cobalts, Blue jeans cable and heartland cables both tech flex their interconnects. the only thing different visually between the cobalts and the brands, are the logos printed on the heat shrink and the lengths of heat shrink used. All shops by the way look and perform identically, the only difference is the price.

14. Paul Stanley

I gotta admit, they look pretty cool stacked! Wayne - I'm a cable geek, I pay more for the looks than anything. After all, cable is cable... [​IMG]

15. David K.

David K. Second Unit

paul,

im with you on that whole cable aesthtics, I wouldnt mind paying extra for the flexing and heat shrink, but to an extent, I actually make my own speaker cables, so I know when certain cables are worth the premium. But yes, i think we are in the minority, that like to have nice looking cables [​IMG]

some examples of my cables ive made

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is very simple to make canare interconnects, but i chose to buy them since i need to invest $200 in canare tooling before i can start building cables. so its cheaper to just buy a couple from a vendor. On the other hand, when i see 20 dollar cables selling for $70+ just because they took black heatshrink and covered the canare name with it, that bothers me.

16. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Paul,
    Okay, now I get what you meant by “if that floats your boat.” Hey, I have absolutely no problem with whatever thing someone is “into” that brings them happiness! [​IMG] After all, my wife has never been excited about the 1979 Trans Am I have that mostly just occupies garage space. [​IMG]

David,

You know from my responses to your posts that pretty cables don’t float my boat, but I have to say yours are stunning. There’s gotta be a way you can make some money on them. Paul? [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

17. Paul Stanley

Seriously David, those are GORGEOUS!

I'm with Wayne, you could have something big here. Those made my heart skip a beat.

[​IMG]

18. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I know you want some, Paul. Get your check book out! [​IMG]

19. David K.

David K. Second Unit

actually ive made a lot of sets, many different types, and ebay'd them all,

i made practically NO MONEY on them, since all of them sold at/near cost, The red biwire ones you see were my last sets ive sold,

I still have 12 locking bananas left over, but I do not intend to make anymore, at least not for sale, maybe in the future, when i decide to make some seriously fancy ones. I have a good idea in my head, but it will cost me a bit of money. So I probably wont make the next pair until i have money to burn.

20. David K.

David K. Second Unit

paul if youre interested in getting into speaker cable building as a hobby, i have an online tutorial for anyone interested in making their own boutiquw cables,

if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill help you out.

http://www.geocities.com/RnB180/diy.html