What's new

Monster HTS 1600 power center making a buzzing/humming noise (1 Viewer)

BluMoose

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I have my TV and equipment plugged into a Monster Power Center HTS 1600 surge protector (unit is about six years old) and in the middle of the night I heard a fairly loud buzzing/humming noise in my living room. Went to check it out and the HTS 1600's LED lights were off (along with the LED lights on my equipment so they were not getting any power) and it was giving off the buzzing sound. No other appliances in my house were off or would indicate there had been a problem, just the HTS 1600. I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and everything appeared normal and the noise went away. All of my equipment had power, the LED's on the HTS 1600 showed the grounding and surge protection was on and the voltage meter was normal.

What on earth happened and do I need to be worried about it? I know the unit is supposed to have an alarm notifying you of a surge or current problem and shuts off power to your equipment, but would that actually be what happened? It sounded like an electrical humming noise and not any sort of alarm. And if it was a surge is the unit still good? From what I understand, after a surge protector is hit with a surge you have to replace it, but as I said, all the lights show everything is normal and wouldn't indicate there was a problem with the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks