What's new

"Monster" DVD (1 Viewer)

Iver

Second Unit
It is a fact that prostitutes, and streetwalkers in particular, provide the fodder for many a serial killer's grisly work. They're easily accessible and usually not missed with a great deal of alarm. They come from families who don't have friends in city hall to whom they can complain if the police do not take a missing persons report too seriously. Or some of them just have no families at all. Just ask the Green River Killer.

The notion of one victim getting hold of a Saturday night special and turning the tables is appealing, at least in a rough, street justice way.

Monster is quite sympathetic to Wuornos and to the facts, as she has revealed them. It goes so far as having a character more or less explicitly equate Wuornos' mental state with that of a Vietnam veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. That may well have been the case.

Although this was not revealed at trial, Wuornos' first victim, Richard Mallory, had served ten years in prison for sexual assault.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...1.html?sect=11

That adds substance to the movie's depiction of Wuornos' first murder.

Charlize Theron did more than just put on 40 pounds for the role. She really captures Wuornos' facial expressions, flitting from cockiness, to embarrassment, to outrage, even to an occasional moment of reflection.

I liked the soundtrack. In the beginning section where Lee (Aileen Wuornos) and Selby (fictional name for real-life Wuornos girlfriend Tyria Moore -- played here by Christina Ricci) are falling in love, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" provides a rousing background for their rollicking, rolling romance.

The soundtrack designer takes the innovative approach of feeding almost all the pop song audio through the rear speakers. It feels a bit odd at first, but ulimately makes you feel much closer to the characters on screen, surrounded by their music, the way music, let's say, at a club comes from all directions.

The features are pretty skimpy, consisting largely of previews.

But that's no minus in my book as I'm one of those people who enjoys previews which, to me, serve as appetizers for the main course, the movie, and a couple (such as Wild Things 2, in the general Florida criminality vein) of these are provided automatically on the DVD. It would have been nice to at least be able to FF through these, as enjoyable as they are.

Other previews are selectable from the special features menu, including "In the Cut" and "Monsieur Ibrahim" (nice to see Omar Sharif again). Besides this, there's a boring interview with the director and "BT," the sound designer. I did get a kick out of seeing BT's studio because I think I have nicer speakers than he does.

One of the other "features" is actually a commercial for the soundtrack CD, made from a little segment of the aforementioned interview.

This slim feature set made me wonder if they're not purposely holding back for the SE. But this isn't the kind of movie that usually gets as SE, so there's not much point in that.

Iver

Second Unit
Today's the street date, folks.

One more comment on the soundtrack: a very cool part is the scene in the car where Lee is on the verge of doing one of the subsequent murders and they use that intense, machine-gun-like drum buildup to indicate the explosive tension building up in her mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks