What's new

Monster AVS 2000 or Monster MP-HTPS7000? Which one to get? (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hey guys. Dont know if any of you have a lot of experience with power conditioner/ voltage stablizers, but I think I have decided to put off the new $900 Yamaha DVD player and sink my $900-$1000 into a flagship voltage stablizer.

The two units I have been looking at are the Monster AVS 2000 and Monster MP-HTPS7000. I am not sure which would be the best to get. I am thiking the AVS-2000 is more ideal, plus I like how it shows you how much it is compensating for voltage + or -. Can you guys give me some input on this? Secondly with the absurd ground loop I get with digital cable, one of these units should clear that up as well.

I just bought the Aragon 2007 AMP and AVM-20 Pre. The house I am in right now has downright scary power. No plugs are grounded when we moved here. I put in 3 prong outlets but there is not really a "true" ground on any outlet except one (I think)that I have my stereo plugged into. I really dont want to take ANY chances with new equipment this expensive. That way I have the peace of mind of Surge and Power Filtering and Power Conditioning at the same time. Also voltage regulation. That way my music should always sound good and my pictures always be sharp.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Adam,

If you haven't (and your text "Dont know if any of you have a lot of experience with power conditioner/ voltage stablizers" implies you haven't), run a search here at HTF and use keywords "power conditioner" or "surge protector" or similar. You'll find an enormous number of threads going into great detail about conditioning, protection, regulation, etc. These threads may not answer all the questions you raised in your post, but probably many. Be sure when running the search to use the "Slow" or "Slowest" option to get more hits.

The hum you get from cable may need an isolator or a new ground for where the cable comes into the house.

If you don't get much response in this thread, try posting in the Tweaks forum also.

Regards,

Mike

CurtisC

Second Unit
Hey Adam,the 7000 does have balanced(I don't know on the 2ooo) power to lower voltage components.This could help with ground loop if you are like most with ext. amp/cable/sat,you have a loop you just can't get ridd of totally.I too have been looking at this and other balanced power supplies for the low noise floor.Try to buy where you could return it if you don't like the results v cash.

John H

Second Unit
I put in 3 prong outlets but there is not really a "true" ground on any outlet except one (I think)
No protection will be available if the wall outlet that the surge supression/power conditioner is plugged into does not have a proper ground.

You can get a circuit checker at a hardware store to verify your outlet is wired properly.

I use the 7000 in my system. The unit failed in 6 months. The lights under the display suddenly shut off and all the outlets on the rear went dead.

Monster Cable promptly replaced my 7000 with a new one. It is about 2 weeks old. Now the display shows an error code instead of "Standby" after the unit goes through it's power down sequence. I am calling them tomorrow.

I also had a HTS-3500 fail sometime back. It was replaced also.

John

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I believe that voltage stabilization is a waste of money. For me, anyway. :)

I have an Equitech balanced power unit with a V readout. I have checked numerous times, and my voltage here in CA only ever deviates between 117 to 121 V. Not enough to justify spending that much money. (BTW, Furman has much cheaper units that are used in professional recording studios.)

Plus, I have read 2 or 3 reviews of the 2000, and you can actually hear it "click" as it switches to adjust for the voltage. Not what I'd want in my HT...

Balanced power is much more of a benefit in most peopls's system.

Check out the reviews of other balanced power units at Secrets...

www.hometheaterhifi.com

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Yeah, it definately looks like the 7000 is what I want and need. I didn't know at the time that the 2000 was purely a stabilizer. I want protection and filtering. Definately the 7000.

Is there any units comparitive to the 7000 for the same price? Maybe even better for the same price? $855 on eBay looks mightly fine for the 7000.

Gary_R

Agent
I have a ground loop problem from cable TV line and I've never been able to get rid of it. Passing through one of the Monster Cable inline ports lessened the hum but did not eliminate it; how could it, after all? There's a difference in ground between the house ground and the cable. The power company won;t come out and check their ground, even for a fee: it's the "owner's resonsibility" even if the home owner never put the ground in!

Since I live in an area where I cannot get satellite reception of "local" channels, cable is my only option to receive network programming. Therefore I have no cable reception in the HT.

Gary

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Adam- $855 for the 7000 is a really good deal. I looked at prices maybe 6 weeks ago, and I think the cheapest I saw was around $950 (and I thought that was cheap). Local Good Guys would only do $1100.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, the HTPS-7000 only has balanced power on the lower power outputs(200-300 watts only). The Bigger items(amps, receivers RPTV) doesn't plug into the balanced outputs. These items only get the Monster filtering. I believe this is mentioned in Widescreen Review a while back. I've had the 7000 for about 4 months and love it!

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I use the 7000 in my system. The unit failed in 6 months. The lights under the display suddenly shut off and all the outlets on the rear went dead.

Monster Cable promptly replaced my 7000 with a new one.
me too! The new one operates as advertised.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Gary R,sat will also cause you a loop headache,worse than cable.You can stop ground loop on cable with several gizmo's,sat needs voltage on line cable, so you can't filter or gizmo.balanced power is the only thing I know to stop ground loop related problems for sure.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Curtis: Well... :)

I have a balanced power unit. With all the AC hooked up through it, still had a ground loop. 1 of 2 things fixed it: 1) route my cable coax line through the coax line isolator on the balanced power unit, or, 2) I used the "poor man's" coax isolator: a 300 ohms to 75 ohm to 300 ohm conversion (or vice versa, can't remember). This also would work:

http://www.hometech.com/video/atten.html

The 63400 ground breaker.

Tom- Believe it or not :), but I actually agree that the PS Audio Power plants are *the* best solution. The problem? They cost a sh*tload to get the same protection. I got an Equitech 2Q for $1700. That would have only bought me a PS 600. The 2Q is 20A/2000W capable, but the PS 600? Maybe 750W. Plus, the Power plants weight a ton, and are only about 50% efficient (to get the ~750 W *out* of the PS 600, it uses ~1500 W). Most pure balanced power units are at or better than 90% efficient.

Javi

Grip
I had the 2000 in my system for about 5 months, that bad boy raised my energy bill 25 to 45 dollars per month. It works as advertised keeps steady voltage, but at a price. I also had the 7000 for cleaning up the power it was hooked up after the 2000. The 7000 failed on me 4 times. It has since been replaced with a panamax 5510 now that unit is a rock solid piece of equipment! And as for the 2000 it had to go back the monthly energy bills where to much, its like paying a monthly fee for use. The 2000 did do its job if that is what you need.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Kevin,I think I said you can stop ground loop on cable tv cable with gizmo's,won't work on sat cable,it carries voltage.Naturally balanced power won't affect something(cable) that its not connected to.sorry if I did not make that point.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Monster and quality control... :rolleyes

Link Removed is another cost effective balanced power unit. And the Panamax 5510 has balanced power; the original 5500 only had "balanced double L" filtration circuits, which is NOT the same as balanced AC.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I had a BPT-2 and sold it because of the rising energy bills Javi talked about. Worked fine but I didn't want to pay for it every month for the life of the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks