What's new

Monitor trouble (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I recently lost a 19" KDS monitor on my PC. It started losing picture size, then the image shook, then the image came back, and then I hear a bang, followed by a white cloud of smoke out the back and no image. Uhh, that monitor is toasted...

Well, I put another one on there, and now it too is starting to act funny. Occasional blackouts, that sort of thing.

I've put it on a different power line, but that took it away from the UPS. Now, the UPS needs a new battery (on the way), but I am concerned I will lose my last large monitor - this is a 21" that I have had for 5 years or so. I'd rather not have to purchase one, but tell me - is the monitor a problem, or is it with power, or is it the video card?

At a bit of a loss here.

Thanks,

Mike

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Occasional blackouts could be a refresh frequency or resolution problem. Just for troubleshooting, I would say to drop the resolution to the next level and lower the refresh rate as much as your eyes can handle (minimum of 72 Hz of possible).

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
John,
thanks for the feedback. First thing I did was to get the latest set of Detonator drives. I use a fairly old card, a Riva TNT2 32MB. Old, but it seems to run pretty well.
Anyway, I downloaded the latest set, specifically for Win2K. Also changed the refresh rate from 75 to 72.
I am looking at building a new PC anyway. This one's good, and a dual proc too, but... the lure of the P4 2.x GHz from P3 550s... must resist, must resist! :D
Regards,
Mike

John Watson

Screenwriter
Couldn't help but notice yours is KDS. The monitor I have that is failing is also a KDS, only a year old so still under warranty tho.

Hmmm

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
19" KDS monitor was excellent - better than the 21" for sure. Better picture quality, that's why I had it instead of the 21 connected.

But it was more than 2 years old...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks