What's new

Monitor Audio Speakers...Top of the LINE? (1 Viewer)

ReneA

Agent
What gives between the Gold Reference Series and the Silver S Series? I understand that the Gold Ref. Series is the top of the line for Monitor Audio, however, for the last couple of years the Silver S Series walks away with the awards in the hi-fi mags. Why is it that the Gold Ref. Series never gets mentioned? Has anyone had the chance to audition either one of these?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have had an experience with MA "i" series that I will share with you. Based on many review of these speakers, I bought the full 5.1 setup with the Silver 5i ad mains, 4i as rears, I forget which center and one of the subs. We a-b ed these with several other brands including Maggies, Norh, JBL, and Energy.
The MA's were he first to be unhooked and boxed away. All listeners preferred the forward sound to the laid back sound of the MA. I sold all of the MA at a loss.
That being said, MA had their own sound and were quite good in their own respect. Great high end but all felt the mids were somewhat subdued.
BTW... nothing came close to the old JBL L100 for 2 channel. I still have them as "A" mains for 2 channel although I bought Energy Veritas as "B" mains for HT. My son kept the Energy RVS that were in the a-b mix mentioned above.

gregD

Second Unit
Speakers vary greatly in sound... listener preference and assessment are subjective to say the least.

I love the sound of the MA's myself... detailed, and yes, laid back... excellent for music, maybe not quite enough 'bite' for movies... strictly a preference on my part.

I can't address who gets what awards, but I have listened to the current Gold and Silver line side by side through the same electronics... just a minor difference to my ears; if the Gold's are somewhat more detailed, it's not by a great degree... if I was buying MA's right now, I'd get the Silver's.

I still like em... but there are lots of other makes to audition.

Mirko

Agent
To Donny,

Interesting to hear about your old JBL-L100's. I, too, have them, since new circa 1974 or so. I never get tired of them and throught the years I have auditioned many speakers in the $500-1.000 range and I always come back to my JBL's.

I am currently using them for my fronts in my HT setup. I am just getting started with HT. I am curious to know why you chose to get different speakers for HT and still kept the JBL's for stereo. I am also wondering if I really need a sub to go with my system. I have JBL fronts, JBL center, Cambridge Newtons 200's for sorrounds and so far no sub, although I'm pretty sore I'll get the HSU 2 cube sub. HSU is right around the corner from me. Just can't seem to get them to sell me a B unit. Never have any.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Silver S8's and Silver LCR and love them.
HT or music they are tough to beat for the $.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Mirko...
Yes, the L100 have not been pushed out of their spot in all this time and I've been through a lot of equipment over the past couple of decades. I bought mine new in 1978 and they've been drug through a lot of states since then.

As I mentioned, I have bought some Veritas 2.2 and the 2.0 center. Since UPS damaged one of the 2.2, I haven't been able to really listen to them. The repaired unit is on its way beack to me now so in a week or so, I'll have a better bearing on things.

I do not expect the Veritas to be equal to the L100 and a friend who was by this weekend stated that he figures I'd keep the L100 for Ht and use the Veritas for stereo listening. I've been there and done that with some excellent speakers and none have been as good over all as the old Ls....

I have already come to the conclusion that the Veritas 2.0 center is not really a major step up over the S-Center but is an improvement in the upper frequencies. Small but it is there. The S-center is louder at a given volume by about 4db and stronger midrange. But the Veritas is really smooth.

Anyway, I am a huge fan of the older JBL stuff. A friend who heard my L100 in 1978, immediately bought 4 JBL 4311 and he still has them. Has an old Marantz 250wpc amp on them and they still really talk. I've been running an Aragon and and Acurus 200wpc amp on my Ls and it loves the juice.

On a sub, yes you will benefit from a sub. It took me a few years to convince myself of that but I am glad I did. I do run my Ls on LARGE though even though I have a SVS sub. Pounds me into oblivion often.

Mirko

Agent
Thanks for the suggestions on the JBL's. I, too, have mine set to large but I do not have a sub yet. Probably have on in the next couple of weeks. Mine really sweetened up when I went to higher power. Although many people think of them as being high efficiency, they really shine with some power. I use Adcom separates. I think my amp is 100 watt per channel. Wish my room was bigger, too. They really like big spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks