What's new

Mom and Dad Save The World (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
When, oh when is this great underrated comedy comiing to DVD? Does anyone else like this movie? Let me know. I would like an Special Edition of this film.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
"Muttonchops or sideburns?"

"Muttonchops"

"Shoot yourself in the head!"

*Bang!*

Anchor Bay would probably be its savior

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
"He's got a light grenade for a head!"
"It says something...Pick me up"
*ZAP*
*ZAP*
*ZAP*
"We're going to need some reinforcements"
:)

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
This was susposed to come out on DVD on 5-31-05, (3 weeks!), but now Amazon has deleted it from their site. Does anybody know why???

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I worked at a theater when this was out- on more than one occasion, the entire audience had left by the middle! :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Might be worth checking out on DVD if they include some deleted scenes or commentary on why the film was reconfigured at the last minute to be a strictly for kids release...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Like The Master of Disguise, the film was a disaster at test screenings and reconfigured towards the kid audience with the hope that family audiences were less discriminating and they could cheat a couple of weeks worth of business before the inevitable word-of-mouth set in.

It didn't work. The movie was a resounding failure at the box office.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
It's great for when you and some friends want to do the MST3K thing.....

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Well, the word is slowly coming out with the details. The movie is presented 16x9 widescreen with Dolby 2.0 sound. There looks like there will be no bonus features, which is a shame, espeically because I always liked the trailer for the movie. Still, it's one of my favorite movies and I can't wait to pick it up.

Also, on another note since there is a thread about it, I'm sad to hear about "The Late Shift" framing issues. Still, since it also being one of my favorite films, I'll probably still pick it up regardless, if not now, sometime soon.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I always liked this quirky little/big film, especially the wonderful Jerry Goldsmith score.
However I have to say that since the ugly revelations about Jeffrey Jones came to light I don't quite see his films in the same way, but that's me.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
I actually rented this the other night for a pre-DVD purchase evaluation, and I just couldn't stand it. Probably a low point in Jeffrey Jones's career, and for the record, I absolutely love and adore "Stay Tuned".

One great quote could be derived from it however...

"What we lack in intelligence, we make up for in..good intentions!"

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I picked up the DVD last night. There are no bonus features, but that didn't matter because of the transfer.

The transfer is top-notch. I've never seen the film look so good ever on home video. In fact, even though the film has always been owned by Warner Bros., I've never seen the logo attached to any home video release until now. The logo is attached at the beginning and the end of the film (They actually released it in theatres), but because it was an HBO/Cinema Plus L.P. movie, it was kicked off the film every time it aired on TV or was released on video. A similar thing happened with "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" as well, but at the end of the film, it at least had the decency to have a "Released by Warner Bros." statement at the end. I'm not sure if they corrected that error on that DVD, but I'm not thinking about picking it up just yet to find out. Still, the transfer on "Mom and Dad Save the World" is near perfect. The only thing that keeps it from being perfect is the fact that some shots might be over letterboxed, but otherwise, it's one of the best looking catalog titles I've seen all year.

The sound is fine, but becauee it's Dolby 2.0, it's nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done just fine.

I'm still unhappy about no bonus features, but if Anchor Bay could've got their hands on it like they did with Greg Beeman's other movie "License to Drive", it would've at least had a commentary (Greg Beeman directed both "License to Drive" and "Mom and Dad Save the World"). But because the film wasn't released by Fox and also probably because HBO Home Video wasn't willing to license the title out, this will probably be the only version of the movie we get on DVD. Still, the movie is not liked by everyone, and HBO isn't really known for doing SE's of their own movie titles anyway, I'm not really complaining. I'm just unahppy about it.

Still, because of the film's phenomenal presentation on DVD, I would say that if there are any fans of this movie out here, my advice would be for you to pick it up.

My only other complaint about the movie is that there are only 10 chapter stops. I think they could've done better, but some DVDs are treated that way no matter what the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks