What's new

MLB to stop dugout daycare. (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Major League Baseball is going to put an end to the madness so that no other 3 year olds get run over at home plate.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1028/1452178.html
Granted the Cardinals started it with Kannon Kile in the dugout: but he lost his father a few months ago. What special reasons did Dusty, Bobby and Kenny have?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It may sound crude and unsympathetic, but after all the shots of the Giants kids we endured through the Series, it was hilarious to see them all bawling at the end. "Dad, we suck!" :laugh: It broke us all up completely. I kind of doubt we'd be seeing much of this again anyway.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sooo... Having the players' kids in the dugout is "unprofessional" while [insert anything Bud Selig has done here] isn't?

OK, Darren Baker shouldn't have left the dugout at that point; I won't argue with that. But I can't help but think that the Commissioners of other sports, which actually care about attracting new fans and marketing themselves well, would take the pictures of the Giants' kids and fashion an ad campaign around it, rather than look like jerks who won't let kids spend time with their dads.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Come on, how much harm can the dam kids do?? if anything I think it's great their kids are in their for the games, makes the atmosphere alot better.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I agree with this decision too. I just don't see the point of having a 3 year old hanging in the dugout. I doubt they even know what's going on not to mention the danger. What happens if a foul ball or lost bat goes flying into the kids head? Nothing good for the game about that!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree also. For the players it is their place of work, the kids have no reason to be there. If they want to watch they can watch with the moms in the stands.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Come on, how much harm can the dam kids do?? if anything I think it's great their kids are in their for the games, makes the atmosphere alot better.
Do they really belong there during the World Series? Maybe the rule can be relaxed for a Tuesday night game in early May versus the Montreal Expos; but during such important games?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Do they really belong there during the World Series? Maybe the rule can be relaxed for a Tuesday night game in early May versus the Montreal Expos; but during such important games?
I dont think that it has anything to do with what game but for the safety factor. It looks great but if a broken bat comes there way or a wild throw coming in from the outfield etc it could get ugly and that would be a terrible blow for baseball IMHO. Good decision to remove them.

KyleS

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Or if Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds start flailing at each other, what could happen to the kids?
they had a pretty big argument after the bottom of the 2nd in game 2 of the world series, fox showed a clip. i know it was around the 2nd inning, but not entirely sure if it was game 2...

but that could happen with any team during any game. you never know what someone might be holding back...

so i'd say that if players and managers are going to have their kids in the dugout, they shouldn't need to be defended with such phrases like "he doesn't know any better". perhaps around the 8-12 age range?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks