What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

ML Baseball 2005 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I knew the Yanks should have re-signed Leiber. Some youth movement. Arrgh...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Braves are loving Philly pitching so far this season! Hudson is still throwing well. I know I should snicker at another player's injury, but Jared Wright's visit with the DL might be karmic for both he and Steinbrenner (and his checkbook).

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Speaking of Yankee pitchers, this headline from SI.com: "Yankees insert Wang into rotation."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That must really hurt Torre, playing a rookie.

I'm starting the pool on how long Colter Bean will be up without Torre giving him the ball. I say a week, and then either Cashman sends him back down out of frustration or he pitches in a 15-inning game, gets knocked around because he's rusty, and never regains Torre's trust.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Smoltz got 4 runs of support on Tuesday, and it was almost not enough as Kolb gave up 5 straight hits and allowed the Mets to get close at 4-3, but the Braves lucked up when Floyd came up and Bobby Cox pulled his "closer" and went with a no-name lefty out of the bullpen, who got Floyd to pop up weakly to the shortstop. Kolb might need to be the setup guy because he just ain't nasty enough with the game on the line to get the job done on a consistent basis.

On the bright side, the Braves batter Glavine once again, with 3 going yard on him.

We'll see how the Braves stack up to the Cardinals this weekend.

Boston's got starting pitching woes in the early months (but who will remember any of this come September/October?)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but part of why we Red Sox fans love Theo is that he does go for the depth. Right now, this means a couple spot starts for John Halama and pushing the question of whether Wakefield or Arroyo goes to the bullpen when Miller gets off the DL until after Jumbo returns.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Shockaah, Bob Watson strikes again with the knowledge his Yankees will end April as losers battling the D-Rays for the cellar.

He just fined Ortiz for not punching out and threatening Devil Ray fans, umpires, and/or other players. By not acting he apparently didn't exhibit the "restraint" shown by poor Gary.

Suspended Arroyo for 6 games compared to 5 for the D-Rays pitchers who did the same thing.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
What difference does it make for a starting pitcher? They'll all just miss one start.

Phil L

Supporting Actor

They got him in the game the day he got there. 2IP, 2BB, 2K, I don't remember if he gave up any hits.

They sent him down to insert Wang the next day, despite that Wang wasn't going to pitch for a few days.

I'm disgusted they didn't give Bean more of a change but its no surprise.

I am looking forward to the NY Daily News and Post headlines for Wang though...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Braves win! Mondesi hits a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 9th!

The Braves even up the weekend series against the Cards. The duel between Hudson and Mulder yesterday turned into a hitter's game quick, and Pujols put the Cards ahead for good in the middle innings after the Braves overcame the 4-spot Hudson gave up in the very first inning.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, Wang ended up starting a game as soon as he got there. Result was pretty good too though he didn't get the W. Hmmm... He pitched for Taiwan's last Olympic team and was born in 1980. I wonder if he was on any of those Little League World Series teams sent by Taiwan back more than a decade ago -- they used to win all the time back in the late 70's and 80's although less so in the 90's (and faded away against Japan's dominance in the Far East since the late 90's). I always wondered if/when we'd see some of those Taiwanese kids make it to MLB.

_Man_

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Actually, Tsao Chin Hui of the Rockies has been around for a little bit. I believe Chen Chin Feng has had considerable success in the minors, but isn't given much of a chance for the Dodgers, and hence nothing good to show in the Majors. Don't know if they still consider him a prospect.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Braves take 2 out of 3 games this weekend from the Cardinals, and Smoltz picks up a 2-1 win after some good relief work from Reitsma and Kolb.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

With Kolb so far this season it seems you get him at his best or at his worst with no in between. Atlanta was lucky to win yesterday as St. Louis stranded an awful lot of base-runners 1 in each inning for sure.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's weird is that it's usually the Braves stranding a lot of baserunners, but Suppan deserved a better outcome as he held the Braves bats in check for a good 6 innings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks