What's new

Mits 55807 and Dish 6000 (1 Viewer)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have a Mits 55807 RPTV with a Sony DSS receiver, and am considering dumping DirecTV and jumping over to Dish Network. I would buy the Dish 6000 with the OTA 8VSB tuner cartridge (running MediaCom basic cable into it for locals until I erect an antenna), and run it through the DTV input on my Mits. My question is this, would I get a better picture from the NTSC OTA and satellite channels using the 6000's line doubler than I presently receive from my Mits' built-in doubler? If I go this route I would guess I would not be able to add an external line doubler, and would have to rely on the 6000's technological prowess.
I also wonder if the Dish 6000 has stretch modes for the NTSC stuff, and how good they are. From what I understand, the DTV input on the Mits is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type deal - no stretch or zoom modes unless the source provides it.
I appreciate any help on this, I'm gonna act soon!!
Pete

Curt Jett

Agent
I have the 65907 and the E* 6000 with the 8vsb module. It does a great job with an OTA antenna but I have never tried cable with it so I couldn't say about that. I run in the HD mode on the 6000 at all times. With the * on the E* remote can toggle through all the modes.
I'm using component switching through a Onkyo 696 so I have everything going to the DTV input. The only time it will not allow you to switch to any other mode is if you are actually viewing a HD program
and then you would not want to switch it anyway. I had/have Direct TV also and for the most part I think I get the better PQ from Dish.
------------------

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 65807 and Dish 6000 combo. I find the NTSC to be a little better through the internal Mits doubler. Picture is a bit washed out in comparison through the Dish 8VSB (I reduced brightness and boost color sometimes to compensate). However, I watch everything through the Dish because I find that special modes for 4x3 material is better than any of the Mits modes. The Dish has all the same 4x3 modes as the Mits except STRETCH and ZOOM. The PARTIAL ZOOM replaces STRETCH, and the Dish has both black and gray bar modes (vs Gray only on the Mits). Bar mode on the Dish is much more accurate geometrically than the Mits (it is more like a square than rectangle on mine).
Move to Dish. Showtime HD is reason enough. The movies are always OAR and they have 16x9 transfers most of the day (I only get to watch all day on weekends). I'm even considering cancelling HBO now that the Sopranos season is over. Unless Oz is going to be 16x9, I will cancel. I can't stand how HBO butchers 2.35:1 blockbusters like Gladiator. Pan & Scan all over again.
Does anyone know if DirecTV is getting Showtime HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks