What's new

Need Help/Suggestions on Dish 6000 system (1 Viewer)

SteveDoyon

Auditioning
Hey everyone! Hope you can help. OK - I need to tap into the great Hometheaterforum member network out there....I have a Mits 55807 with digital cable (it's terrible - from Time Warner). I have procrastinated long enough, and now I want to get a satellite system. I think I am focused on the Dish 6000 system (although I could be persuaded otherwise). Here is what I want:
Reception on 4 televisions
Only need HD reception on 1 TV (the Mits)
It is likely that we would only ever have 2 TV's on at the same time, watching different programming.
I want OTA HD programming for the Mits.
OK, based on the above, can you provide recommendations as to:
1) Equipment I will need to get me the lowest cost Dish 6000 setup that meets the above requirements.
2) Recommendations on vendors for the equipment.
Sorry about the length, and thanks very much in advance.
Steve
------------------
Steve Doyon
Charlotte, NC
Steve's DVD Collection

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve,
You need the 6023 system. It has the 6000 receiver, a Dish500 with a twin LNB, a Dish300 with a dual LNB and a pair of SW21 switches. Add a second non-HD receiver and you are set. This system can only support two receivers.
Since you will only have two TV's on at the same time, I would stay with a two receiver system. Keep both receivers near your HD television so you can use the component and s-video connections for the best picture. Use modulators to send the video/audio from both receivers to the other three TV's in the house. The picture and sound will not be as good but the flexibility is great. I also modulated a DVD and VCR into my system.
I bought most of my Dish equipment from Dish Depot. They have good prices and great service. They have some second receiver options with the 6023 package, I would recommend the PVR 501. The price on the 8VSB module is a little high, see if it is still on sale at Sears for $99. There are other internet vendors that other people have recommended but I can't remember their names.
-Robert

SteveDoyon

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply, Robert_J. One question, though. Why would I need to keep both receivers near the HD TV. Wouldn't I just want to connect the 6000 to the HD TV (via component or S-VHS?), and use the non-HD receiver on another TV. Then I could either cable from each of these receivers to the other TV's, or use a UHF system (wireless) to send to the other TV's.
------------------
Steve Doyon
Charlotte, NC
Steve's DVD Collection

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just keep both of my receivers with the rest of my home theater gear. Both are connected through my surround sound receiver with S-video (no HDTV yet) and digital sound. Same with my DVD player. The VCR uses composite video and analog audio. All can display the best possible video and sound on my main TV and all are modulated to other TV's in the house. The modulator setup takes care of relaying the IR signals back to the equipment.
My setup worked best my needs and equipment. I also tend to make things way too complicated. Just keep asking questions.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks