What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Part One (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope this is a lesson to Paramount that you can continue the story in a sequel without having to call the films Part One and Part Two. I'm not really sure why they had to do that in the first place. I would have given them two different names from the beginning. Fallout picked up some story threads from Rogue Nation but wasn't called Rogue Nation Part Two.

That being said, it is unfortunate to change course midstream. It is going to be weird putting the eventual eighth film next to Dead Reckoning Part One on my shelf and not having it be called Dead Reckoning Part Two.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve never understood the importance of the way a 1/4 inch side of a movie package Looks next to another 1/4 inch movie package on a shelf.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’ve never understood the importance of the way a 1/4 inch side of a movie package Looks next to another 1/4 inch movie package on a shelf.
It matters for the sake of continuity. Logically, a movie called Part One should be followed by Part Two.

It isn't going to make the movie better or worse. The sky is not going to fall because they changed the name of the next movie. It's just going to look weird. That's all.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
C'mon man! You don't see that? What's wrong with you!

Attachments

• Harry.jpg
    Harry.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 36

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
We probably all have our own slight bits and variations of OCD to even spend so much time here, LOL, so why not, hehheh? :lol:;)

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just checked the Paramount+ stream. The listing for the movie within the Paramount+ interface only says "Dead Reckoning," but they did not actually change the master of the film itself. It still says "Part One" on screen while you are watching the movie.

This rseems to be a case of light rebranding rather than a complete title change. Paramount obviously doesn't want to call attention to it being Part One because they have decided to give the sequel a different name. But they stopped short of changing the movie. It reminds me of Edge of Tomorrow, where the Blu-ray packaging placed much more emphasis on the phrase "Live Die Repeat." But Edge of Tomorrow is still the on-screen title.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I forget now, but I’m sure the original theatrical cut of Star Wars just had Star Wars, because it was not known then that it was Ep 4. When did the film start including Ep 4: A New Hope? When TESB was released? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Another case is Raiders of the Lost Ark, even though some home releases renamed it as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. The title on film was not changed.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I forget now, but I’m sure the original theatrical cut of Star Wars just had Star Wars, because it was not known then that it was Ep 4. When did the film start including Ep 4: A New Hope? When TESB was released? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Another case is Raiders of the Lost Ark, even though some home releases renamed it as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. The title on film was not changed.
"Episode IV: A New Hope" was added for the 1981 theatrical re-issue.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lots of people who watched Part One are going to wonder when they missed Part Two when the next film is released with a different title.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m sure the typically $100-200 million spent in advertising for major studio tentpoles will take care of that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Lots of people who watched Part One are going to wonder when they missed Part Two when the next film is released with a different title.
The people who saw Part One and liked it are probably going to go to a sequel no matter what it is called. I think Paramount is more concerned about people who didn't see Part One thinking that they won't understand a movie called Part Two. If the next film has its own name, that won't appear to be as much of a problem.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Paramount is more concerned about people who didn't see Part One thinking that they won't understand a movie called Part Two. If the next film has its own name, that won't appear to be as much of a problem.
I think it's both- they worry that the potential theatrical audience will be turned off by Part 2 if they didn't see the first one and they also worry that future audiences will be looking at Paramount + etc and think "Where the heck is Part 2?" when they see the list of MI movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone involved with this project felt that including "Part One" in the title was necessary in the first place. Fallout picked up some plot threads from Rogue Nation but was not named Rogue Nation Part Two. This is a long-running series where the last three (four, if you count the upcoming one too) were all co-written and directed by the same person. I think it is reasonable for audiences to expect that there will be some carryover storylines from film to film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wasn't this originally supposed to be the grand finale of the franchise in two parts? Now they seem to have backed away from this being "The End".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wasn't this originally supposed to be the grand finale of the franchise in two parts?
No one involved with the film ever said that as far as I can recall. That news came from around the web when the two-parter was announced. I think they were assuming it was the finale because other franchises had split their finales before. But that seems to be interpretation.

I am perfectly happy for the series to continue as long as Tom Cruise wants to keep making them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No one involved with the film ever said that as far as I can recall. That news came from around the web when the two-parter was announced. I think they were assuming it was the finale because other franchises had split their finales before. But that seems to be interpretation.

I am perfectly happy for the series to continue as long as Tom Cruise wants to keep making them.

I imagine the speculation/belief probably largely resulted from the fact he's no spring chicken anymore... but then, he essentially went and said he wanna do this (kinda thing) for another 20 years (like Harrison Ford w/ Indy), LOL.

_Man_

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I imagine the speculation/belief probably largely resulted from the fact he's no spring chicken anymore... but then, he essentially went and said he wanna do this (kinda thing) for another 20 years (like Harrison Ford w/ Indy), LOL.

_Man_
That 'not-a-spring chicken' is the same age as me. And he can do a whole lot more than I can. Heck, he can do more than I could twenty years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks