What's new

MiniDSP for Music & Theater? (1 Viewer)

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
This week I received my MiniDSP and UMIK-1 and have been in the process of tweeking my subs for my room. My room is a challenge since it is an open floor plan with a lot of hard surfaces. Adding to the joy is a wife who is resistant to overly large subs and room dampeners but the systems sound good and the subs are much better now that I am learning to dial them in.

So, the next step/question has to do with my speakers. I enjoy some good 2 channel music as much as anyone, and I realize I could add another MiniDSP for the mains, but then my center won't be the same match that it is. And I watch a lot of movies and tv in 5 channels. So, has anyone gone with anything like the MiniDSP 10x10HD for their Home Theater? Is this advisable? Is this taboo?

What I am hoping to gain is a much flatter response for the room and better overall music and theater sound system and I believe in maximizing what you have before upgrading equipment.

This is the link for the 10x10HD: https://www.minidsp.com/products/mi...cQ2ZcaYp5O-691LOTwq4hJx7_1SEafgS40ahzSDR21Gxw

Is there a better alternative? Any thoughts?

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Dave,

Thanks for pointing me to that. Based on this model, it looks like I'd be able to sell the MiniDSP and Umik-1 since it would handle my subs and comes with a Umik-1 already. That is the best option I've seen so far and slides in under the max budget.

One question for you if I may. It looks like this will handle my LCR speakers and 2 subs, but not my rear surrounds. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You can keep your minidsp and use it to level match and time align the subs. The 88A does 7 channels and a sub but won't adjust for time differences from your subs.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
:rock:It is ordered... but what I didn't tell yall is just how much I am going to lean on yall to walk me through how to maximize my room with this thing... unless there is a YouTube video like what Home Theater Gurus did with the subs. If there is, then I will only pester yall some. :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's really quite basic. Your subs are already corrected, so you will simply "feed" them from the 2x4. We're here to help!

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Just to update, since I have a 5.2 system, and after some discussion with some users of the 88A/BM, I went ahead of ordered the 88BM software to go along with the 88A. I have not received shipping confirmation yet, which I hope to get today, but it will get here when it does. Based on my understanding, since I am basically going to use 7 channels, I should be able to enjoy the enhanced benefits of the 88 with the subs, in lieu of the 2x4 HD. I'll hold onto it until I get things nailed down, but, I anticipate being able to sell the 2x4HD at some point, but should net an overall much improved system performance.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
You can keep your minidsp and use it to level match and time align the subs. The 88A does 7 channels and a sub but won't adjust for time differences from your subs.
It's really quite basic. Your subs are already corrected, so you will simply "feed" them from the 2x4. We're here to help!

So, my 88A/BM is coming Friday. Based on everything I have read, and I have read a considerable amount in advance of this, the Bass Management option will give me enhanced control over the subs in my 5.2 system since I basically have 3 channels that I can use for subs.

Question for those in the know (Again I have never had room correction software): The attachment shows my living room/ht layout. When I take the 9 measurements, do I want to include the love seat and the chair, or do all 9 measurements around the sofa (MLP)?

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dirac will show you where to measure approximately. You want to measure all around the MLP, both at and above/below ear level as this image shows:

micpositions_sofawide.jpg

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
@Dave Upton or anyone that can help, I received my 88A and cannot wait to hear the transformation, but I am having some challenges. I have posed this question to the folks on the Minidsp forum and at AVS, but maybe someone here can help.

When I try to run the DLCT app from the icon there is no communication between the computer and the DLCT unless I follow these steps:
- Open "Program" in finder.
- Open the miniDSP plugin directory,
- Right click on the app and looked inside the package.
- In Content -> MacOS, you can see the ap.
- Start it once from inside that folder.

When I follow these steps, I am then able to run the DLCT app and set my gain levels for my speakers. However, once I advance to the 4th step, sweep measurements, the DLCT app quits unexpectedly. Every time it quits, I have to follow the same steps above in order for the app to connect, but it just quits once I begin taking measurements. I have attached a screenshot of my Macbook information.

I have no clue what is going on. I did delete the program and reinstall it, but it acts the same exact way. Anyone?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 4.55.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 4.55.16 AM.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 55

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@Dave Upton or anyone that can help, I received my 88A and cannot wait to hear the transformation, but I am having some challenges. I have posed this question to the folks on the Minidsp forum and at AVS, but maybe someone here can help.

When I try to run the DLCT app from the icon there is no communication between the computer and the DLCT unless I follow these steps:
- Open "Program" in finder.
- Open the miniDSP plugin directory,
- Right click on the app and looked inside the package.
- In Content -> MacOS, you can see the ap.
- Start it once from inside that folder.

When I follow these steps, I am then able to run the DLCT app and set my gain levels for my speakers. However, once I advance to the 4th step, sweep measurements, the DLCT app quits unexpectedly. Every time it quits, I have to follow the same steps above in order for the app to connect, but it just quits once I begin taking measurements. I have attached a screenshot of my Macbook information.

I have no clue what is going on. I did delete the program and reinstall it, but it acts the same exact way. Anyone?
I've run into this before with miniDSPs applications. I think I solved it by downloading an older version of the software. That might work for you but if not, you'll have to contact miniDSP support unfortunately.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Update... working with Minidsp support, which is slow, but they are very knowledgeable.

In the meantime, since my Macbook is 9 years old (still runs like a gazelle though), the thing is just not that portable anymore. It weighs a ton and the battery life is very short, so, I have purchased a Dell Latitude to use as a more traditional laptop. (Who knew laptops were in such short supply?)

In part I hope the Dell will be more user friendly with the DLCT. Additionally, I can run the Multisub Optimization software (MSO) as well as Rew, and it has an HDMI output that will come in handy. I should have it this weekend and fingers crossed, will have the DLCT taking measurements in a short time.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I ended up buying a new to me PC laptop and was able to run the DLCT today finally. I have a lot to learn.
Question re: REW. When I attempt to measure using pink noise with REW, it comes through the laptop speakers instead of my system. I’m sure it is a simple setting, but I am stumped. This is one thing my Mac did do well.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I ended up buying a new to me PC laptop and was able to run the DLCT today finally. I have a lot to learn.
Question re: REW. When I attempt to measure using pink noise with REW, it comes through the laptop speakers instead of my system. I’m sure it is a simple setting, but I am stumped. This is one thing my Mac did do well.
REW lets you choose your sound output device:

If you get tired of changing it each time, you have to make sure the default audio output in windows is set to the miniDSP or whatever device you're using

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
So, I am able to use the DLCT using this "new to me" PC laptop and I am attaching the REW graphs of my L & R Mains with subs after Dirac Live, REW and SVS's PEQ on the app. I have some more work to do, but this set-up is producing the best sound my system has produced to date.

Attachments

• L Main REW PEQ 1 PEQ 2 at 2 on Christy PEQ 2 at 1 on Russ Q at 3 on both one sixth smoothing.jpg
    L Main REW PEQ 1 PEQ 2 at 2 on Christy PEQ 2 at 1 on Russ Q at 3 on both one sixth smoothing.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 75
  • R Main REW PEQ 1 PEQ 2 at 2 on Christy PEQ 2 at 1 on Russ Q at 3 on both one sixth Smoothing.jpg
    R Main REW PEQ 1 PEQ 2 at 2 on Christy PEQ 2 at 1 on Russ Q at 3 on both one sixth Smoothing.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 76

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Looking good. How's the time domain integration with the subs?

Well, Dave, that is a great question. Frankly, I don't know what the time domain integration means, or how to check that. I did do a sub distance tweak (aka a time alignment measurement) measuring the response of the subs and mains after swapping my right main with my sub moving the sub about 18" further from the corner. To my surprise, I ended up with a very different delay setting on the rear sub than I had before and it really helped the curve look better. I think I found this in the 88A-BM set-up guide.

My next steps in the process are to measure the individual speakers and adjust them using REW to produce an even smoother curve than what I posted. I am also considering playing with the crossover because, at 120, I notice the closest sub much more than I usually do. I am thinking of bumping it back down to 100.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Keep in mind that Dirac produces the most consistent response throughout the measurement area so the response might not be flat in the main listening position. If you tweak it too much to get a flat response in the main listening position sound quality will suffer in any other seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks