What's new

Mini system? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am looking for a mini stereo system for my teenage daughter for in her bedroom. CD player, FM radio, and an aux input for her ipod are requirements. CD changer might be nice. Looking in the $100 - $200 range.

Any suggestions? I guess another option would be to get a receiver and CD player and use a pair of speakers which I already own. The sound would be better but it would be bigger and a little more expensive.

Help me quick as I need it for Christmas. :)

Thanks,
Glenn

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I'd take the second option, start her off knowing what a proper audio system could sound like

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, you really do have many more options than you might realize. One suggestion I will make as a starting point, is that Circuit City has an Onkyo 50 watt X 2 channel stereo receiver for $150, and I'm sure you can get it for even less than that. That, a $100 or so CD player, and a good pair of bookshelf speakers will blow any prepackaged mini system into the weeds for not really all that much more money.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
If you stick with the minisystem route, this one isn't too bad:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846

Teenagers usually like volume and bass, this one delivers both though of course not that high quality since the sub is very boomy and unfortunately not upgradeable. And if you have a pair of aftermarket speakers to plug into it, that'd be a huge improvement. Has front aux plugs too.

But a cheap receiver (Pioneer VSX-D514) and CD player should only cost you about $100 more.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I'm not opposed to a receiver with a CD player but her space is limited and I don't know if she would really want it at this point. At 14 getting the best sound isn't her top priority, as mentioned bass and coolness is important.

Thanks for the Sony suggestion, it might be good.

Thanks,
Glenn

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Really a reciever and a cd player dont take up much room at all. I mean in my room at home i have always had a stero and enjoyed it and never thougt about room but i also had big amps for guitar and monitors for key boards...

But anyway with a nice pair of speakers your daughter can bump too i mean you can buy her one of those real muddy sony subs lol...

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Glenn,

In that case the Sony is the best option at that pricepoint which I've heard, and it's definitely the nicest looking---very low bling. Phillips has the market cornered on that feature, but their SQ is dismal.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
How into music is your daughter? I mean me and my buds were always really into music and liked our own set ups...and trust me her boyfriend will be likw wow thats cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks