What's new

Mini-review: VeggieTales Ultimate Silly Songs Countdown (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I've trained my wife well! The other night she went shopping and ran across the DVD version of "VeggieTales: The Ultimate Silly Songs Countdown" and picked it up. I thought I'd post a quick mini-review of the disc.
For those of you unfamiliar with VeggieTales, it is a computer animated family series produced by BigIdea (www.bigidea.com) promoting Christian values. That is not to say this is a Bible-thumping series, but rather one based on core values like "Be kind to your neighbor", "Don't lie to your parents", etc. The great thing is, like Toy Story, their products can be enjoyed by the whole family and are absolutely hilarious! The main characters are various vegetables, like Larry the Cucumber. In their previous video products, they always do an interlude with Larry doing a silly song. They've now compiled those onto DVD as a single collection (I think an audio CD is available too).
I'll get the bad news out of the way early. Their main audience until recently has been VHS owners, so their source is all 4:3. I can't tell for sure, but I'm quite certain this is not an anamorphic disc (it's not labelled as such). I also see quite a bit of edge enhancement throughout the disc, though very little compression artifacts.
The good news is the disc does offer 5.1 DD on all tracks (though you have to activate it from the Bonus Features menu). The song breakdown is:
Water Buffalo song
Hairbrush song
Dance of the Cucumber
I Love My Lips
The Pirates Who Won't Do Anything
Cebu
His Cheeseburger
Yodeling Veterinarian
Endangered Love
Larry's High Silk Hat
Lost Puppies
Oh, Santa!
Do the Moo Shoo
A couple of these are hidden easter eggs (there are a total of 4 easter eggs, 2 of which are additional songs). The disc also features a Behind The Scenes making-of, Karaoke (for the Moo Shoo song), and some deleted footage/story reel extras. The main menu gives you access to play the disc as a linear feature, or gives you a song list to jump to a specific song. The bonus features section lets you setup audio or view the additional features like behind the scenes.
My family and I had a hoot watching these last night. The songs and animations are hilarious, and you'll find yourself humming them the next day. I definitely recommend this as a great buy for those with younger kids or anyone who enjoys titles humor in the vein of Toy Story.
Rich

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
No religious discussions please.
Let's not be hyper sensitive.

I made a valid, accurate observation. These videos are criticized by some non-Christians because they are viewed as promoting Christian values. That criticism is undeserved because the message is decidedly (and apparantly intentionally) non-denominational.

If you consider that a "religious discussion" you need to get out more, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks