What's new

Migration Related Feedback & Questions (2 Viewers)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think I didn;t explain it as well as I wished. It's not the threads per forum page I have an issue with, but threads per monitor screen I'm speaking of. The Default ppp was 10 so I maxed it at 30 which was easy enough, but when I look at my monitor I see basically 12 threads then I have to page down to see more. I'm used to seeing 20-30+ threads per screen and not have to keep scrolling down to see the next few, then scroll down more.

There is just so much empty space and wasted energy going through a forum -- there's space, then a large line of text then a small line with author, then a lot more space. It just seems when I'm looking at a screen, I'm seeing about 1/2 or less information than I saw before. I'm not sure if all the text is larger or it's taking every thread a lot more line of screen space to tell me the same information as before. There is just less there to look at before having to scroll or page down again.

David,

If you scroll to the very bottom of your screen, there is a little box called Style Chooser. You can switch your style to HTF 1.5.4 - Condensed. This should be a bit better - and we'll continue to tweak.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Thanks for trying. Do you have NoScript or any kind of privacy protection running? If you can ignore that little banner for right now, I can come up with a way to work around this for you.
Just what is in Norton 360, that is the only thing that would be left, but there is nothing specific to ad-blocking of course. I'm not sure about NoScript, though I am using Firefox I do not see it anywhere, but maybe you can advise.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I saw that "Show all watched threads" but when I click it:

htf-wt.png

The former software of the board used the terminology "Follow Thread", I believe. Is this the same thing? Did I not "watch" threads on the old board but "followed" them instead? I assumed that was the same thing with two different terms with different software.

We will have our conversion guy look at your profile to make sure.

Excellent. I eagerly await your findings!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It looks like the HTF email notifications are getting sent to my spam folder in Gmail for "violation of Google's recommended email sender guidelines."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
First of all, thanks for all of your hard work, the new forum looks great! One (hopefully) quick question: there used to be an option that said something like "Threads you've participated in", and within that option, it showed the threads in which you'd posted, in recent-to-older chronological order, with any that had new posts since you last checked into that thread in bold. Does that exist in the new forum, and if so, how do I get there? (it's not New Content, or New Posts, as I don't want to know everything new in the forums, just in the threads in which I'd posted)

Thanks again!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just what is in Norton 360, that is the only thing that would be left, but there is nothing specific to ad-blocking of course. I'm not sure about NoScript, though I am using Firefox I do not see it anywhere, but maybe you can advise.
If you have the menu bar enabled select "Tools" and "Add-ons" to bring up the installed add-ons. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+A to open that page. It'll be in the "Extensions" list if it's installed.

If it's installed you should also have a NoScript icon in either the top bar (usually to the right of the URL window somewhere) or in the "Status Bar" at the bottom of the screen (which FF hides/turns off by default). Clicking on the icon presents a list of scripts a page is attempting to run. You can select which, if any, you wish to allow (either permanent or temporary). If it's installed it normally presents a brief pop-up during a page load indicating if scripts have been blocked on a page. You can select the pop-up button (if quick enough) to choose from the provided list which site(s) to allow to run JAVA scripts.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I had HTF as an app on my iPod, but now it doesn't work at all. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it to see if that would help, but now I am informed that the app is not available in Canada. I don't know what it all means; I'm just reporting it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I had HTF as an app on my iPod, but now it doesn't work at all. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it to see if that would help, but now I am informed that the app is not available in Canada. I don't know what it all means; I'm just reporting it.
Unfortunately we had to discontinue the app. The site works great in a mobile browser now however.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
First of all, thanks for all of your hard work, the new forum looks great! One (hopefully) quick question: there used to be an option that said something like "Threads you've participated in", and within that option, it showed the threads in which you'd posted, in recent-to-older chronological order, with any that had new posts since you last checked into that thread in bold. Does that exist in the new forum, and if so, how do I get there? (it's not New Content, or New Posts, as I don't want to know everything new in the forums, just in the threads in which I'd posted)

Thanks again!
Just click on Tools, then Watched Threads. There'll be a link at the bottom to show all. That is the equivalent to the old Content I Follow section

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
If you have the menu bar enabled select "Tools" and "Add-ons" to bring up the installed add-ons. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+A to open that page. It'll be in the "Extensions" list if it's installed.

If it's installed you should also have a NoScript icon in either the top bar (usually to the right of the URL window somewhere) or in the "Status Bar" at the bottom of the screen (which FF hides/turns off by default). Clicking on the icon presents a list of scripts a page is attempting to run. You can select which, if any, you wish to allow (either permanent or temporary). If it's installed it normally presents a brief pop-up during a page load indicating if scripts have been blocked on a page. You can select the pop-up button (if quick enough) to choose from the provided list which site(s) to allow to run JAVA scripts.

Yeah, I never installed it, but I wasn't sure about it, like maybe it was a setting in Firefox I could disable. Thanks.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave, unfortunately it isn't quite the same for me. I never "followed" most of the threads I participated in. I relied on that feature to keep track of the threads I'd posted in, rather than officially following them. It's okay, I'll figure out my own workaround, not the end of the world.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Carlo:

The "Content I Follow" feature on the other platform would only work if you were automatically subscribing (a forum setting) to the threads in which you posted.

If you do what Dave suggested, you should get exactly the same results. Hover over "Tools", click "Watched Threads" and then scroll to the bottom of that page to click on "Show All Watched Threads."

This is important to me because that's how I daily navigate the forums--just the way you described.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hi Dave, unfortunately it isn't quite the same for me. I never "followed" most of the threads I participated in. I relied on that feature to keep track of the threads I'd posted in, rather than officially following them. It's okay, I'll figure out my own workaround, not the end of the world.

Same here. I never "follow" or "subscribe" to threads. But being able to quickly access the ones you've posted in is very handy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Same here. I never "follow" or "subscribe" to threads. But being able to quickly access the ones you've posted in is very handy.

Right. But like I said above, the feature on the old platform wouldn't have worked if you weren't automatically subscribing to threads in which you posted. Those subscribed posts should have ported over to this platform as "watched" threads and using this software as Dave and I described should provide the same results.

I would recommend that anyone who navigates the forum this way should go up to their user ID and click on "Preferences" and set up this software to automatically "watch" any threads in which you post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks