What's new

Migration Related Feedback & Questions (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW, Adam...my default preference on the posts/per/page thing was ten. I had to find the preferences thing to get it changed to 20.

And I started getting e-mail notifications when people started making posts in my subscribed...er, "Watched" threads. I went in to turn that off, too. But I'm not sure it has worked.

Huh. No text strikeout button, eh?!? :biggrin:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
It's easy enough to find threads marked "3D" or "International". But if I just want to see regular "blu-ray" threads that aren't 3D, International, UHD, etc, my only option is to wade through the "any" prefix. I'd like an option to only see regular blu-ray threads.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. It's official.

As I was just checking my preferences, I found that none of my e-mail boxes are checked...yet I am getting e-mails when people post in threads which I am "watching." In fact, one came in while I was checking just now.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
FWIW, Adam...my default preference on the posts/per/page thing was ten. I had to find the preferences thing to get it changed to 20.

And I started getting e-mail notifications when people started making posts in my subscribed...er, "Watched" threads. I went in to turn that off, too. But I'm not sure it has worked.

Huh. No text strikeout button, eh?!? :D
Click the + button between the film strip and the camera :ph34r: or just use[ s][ /s ] the BBcode

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually we still have 20 posts per thread as a default. I think it just seems like less since the postbit data collapses, so shot posts don't take up as much room on the page.

I need to apologize for this next bit as its going to make some of you upset, :blink: but if you think there aren't enough posts on the page, you can change it.....Left click on your name in the upper right corner, select Preferences and you will see you have the ability to change the threads per page, the posts per page and the PMs (conversations) per page.
:dance:

I think I didn;t explain it as well as I wished. It's not the threads per forum page I have an issue with, but threads per monitor screen I'm speaking of. The Default ppp was 10 so I maxed it at 30 which was easy enough, but when I look at my monitor I see basically 12 threads then I have to page down to see more. I'm used to seeing 20-30+ threads per screen and not have to keep scrolling down to see the next few, then scroll down more.

There is just so much empty space and wasted energy going through a forum -- there's space, then a large line of text then a small line with author, then a lot more space. It just seems when I'm looking at a screen, I'm seeing about 1/2 or less information than I saw before. I'm not sure if all the text is larger or it's taking every thread a lot more line of screen space to tell me the same information as before. There is just less there to look at before having to scroll or page down again.

Last edited:

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
So far it seems mostly ok on my iPad, which is where I usually visit from. A few things that will take a bit to get used to, and getting the sub-forums working might help take some of the busyness out of the screen.

And I do miss the navigation at the bottom as well.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think I didn;t explain it as well as I wished. It's not the threads per forum page I have an issue with, but threads per monitor screen I'm speaking of. The Default ppp was 10 so I maxed it at 30 which was easy enough, but when I look at my monitor I see basically 12 threads then I have to page down to see more. I'm used to seeing 20-30+ threads per screen and not have to keep scrolling down to see the next few, then scroll down more.

There is just so much empty space and wasted energy going through a forum -- there's space, then a large line of text then a small line with author, then a lot more space. It just seems when I'm looking at a screen, I'm seeing about 1/2 or less information than I saw before. I'm not sure if all the text is larger or it's taking every thread a lot more line of screen space to tell me the same information as before. There is just less there to look at before having to scroll or page down again.

We are going to work on this - and we do agree with you that there is room for improvement in removing blank space/reducing font sizes. Stay tuned for gradual improvements.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Strange. I can't reproduce. Do you have any other add-ons or plugins that block ads? I'm sorry for the trouble, it's only supposed to be showing up if you block all ads.
The only other thing I can think of is pop-up blocker. Could this be causing the banner to appear?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
So far it seems mostly ok on my iPad, which is where I usually visit from. A few things that will take a bit to get used to, and getting the sub-forums working might help take some of the busyness out of the screen.

And I do miss the navigation at the bottom as well.

I also visit HTF mostly on iPad. With the old forum site, options for formatting posts on iPad/Safari were negligible compared to options available under Windows browsers. Very happy to discover a wealth of formatting options under iPad in this new site.

Liking the Real Time feature and the ability to see which fellow members are currently active on the forum.

Lots to discover yet and no doubt much to be tweaked, but for my two-bits worth, the best online film forum just got a whole lot better.

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I may me lost in the haze of the new look and features, but is marking a topic as read an option? The old forum used to un-highlight the thread title. I checked "mark forum as read", which looked like the right option, but I'm not noticing any difference after reading the last post in a thread, then going back to the sub-forum page.
Also,what is the significance of a thread in the list having a light gray background vs a white background? Reading the thread doesn't change the color. Does it have something to do with whether you've posted in it or not?
Edit: Looks to be just a divider.
Sorry to keep adding to this post, but I just noticed a blue dot next to the most recent added comment in a post. Is that the unread identifier?

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The only other thing I can think of is pop-up blocker. Could this be causing the banner to appear?

It shouldn't - but you can try turning it off. The only things that trigger that message are true AdBlockers like AdBlockPlus, and some privacy tools.

I may me lost in the haze of the new look and features, but is marking a topic as read an option? The old forum used to un-highlight the thread title. I checked "mark forum as read", which looked like the right option, but I'm not noticing any difference after reading the last post in a thread, then going back to the sub-forum page.
Also,what is the significance of a thread in the list having a light gray background vs a white background? Reading the thread doesn't change the color. Does it have something to do with whether you've posted in it or not?
Edit: Looks to be just a divider.
Sorry to keep adding to this post, but I just noticed a blue dot next to the most recent added comment in a post. Is that the unread identifier?

I am looking into marking a thead/topic read.

The blue dot is a button that shows there are unread replies to that thread, clicking it takes you to the first unread reply. We are working on making that larger

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Is the Real Time page the only way to see the latest topics? That is what I used on the old site as my "Home" page. It was also easy to click on the latest post.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Well, it took me a while to find everything I wanted, but now that I have, I changed my vote negative to positive. I like the easy access to watched threads, new posts and new posts in watched threads. Great job, guys. This appears to be the smoothest transition you've ever undertaken.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Are all of our watched threads gone? When I go to Watched Threads it says "You are not watching any threads." That would be a big bummer to have to re-"Watch Thread" all of them especially when I can't even remember all of the threads I was watching!

They definitely should not be. You see nothing in the watched threads page?

I freaked out a bit earlier when the watched threads page said "You do not have any watched threads that are unread", but then I noticed the link under that message that said "Show all watched threads." All my watched threads seem to be there.

Yeah, I saw that "Show all watched threads" but when I click it:

htf-wt.png

The former software of the board used the terminology "Follow Thread", I believe. Is this the same thing? Did I not "watch" threads on the old board but "followed" them instead? I assumed that was the same thing with two different terms with different software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks