Midtown Madness 3!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EdR, Jun 14, 2003.

1. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Wow, what a fun game! I've only played for about an hour, 30 minutes of which was online (hosted by the gracious and conniving Ruffneck [​IMG]...but my early review is that this game kicks serious a**.

The online play is unbridled insanity, mayhem at it's best. The cities are full of destrucable objects which mostly serve to slow you down just a bit if you hit them. The cars handle nicely, it's an arcade game, but there's just enough realism to keep me happy. The cars feel heavy (at least the one's I drove), and less twitchy than Midnight Club II.

It's too early for me to compare it to MCII meaningfully, but let's just say I'm going to enjoy both of them.

I anticipate playing this a LOT in the coming months.

2. Michael St. Clair

Well, count me among those who will only buy one of the two (MM3 and MCII), so I'd love to hear some comparative review. [​IMG]

Glad you like it, though.

3. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Oh man. MM3 is THAT damn good.

We played about an hours worth of the "Tag" gametype tonight... Pure mayhem.

You can bet I'll be playing more of this this weekend. If anyone is lucky enough to see it in a store for sale, don't hesitate to pick it up. It's AWESOME.

4. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Saw it in CompUSA today, and tried to get it, but the cash register wouldn't let me. In fact, it rang up as $617.03 -- the "release date" according to CompUSA.

So, it is $600 worth of good? Should I have paid that much for it? [​IMG]

5. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

Does it support 16x9 widescreen aspect ratio ??

6. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Let's hope for 16x9... personally I think all Xbox games should be 720p... :)

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Nope, it doesn't.

-Dave

8. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

thanks, Dave.

9. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Someone else want to post their impressions of this game? I loved the first one on the PC...

10. BryanK

BryanK Stunt Coordinator

The EB up the street from me has it in store but cant sell it until 6/17..... Unless there's proof that another store broke release date!

I could'nt convince them to let me borrow it for a few days [​IMG] Looks like im waiting[​IMG]

sucks seeing people on my Friends list playing and I cant even get the game yet :p) Thats alright though practice up! You'll need it!!

11. EdR

EdR Second Unit

12. BryanK

BryanK Stunt Coordinator

Can you tell me what store? Or are you going to make me wait?

I dont like waiting. [​IMG]

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm growing tired of the non 16x9 support in these games and From Microsoft no less first Inside pitch and Now this. I Just Downloaded Enemy territory last night and been playing it today. I'm floored at just how good this game is and For Free. I'm paying $50 a whack for Xbox games that cannot even offer support across the Board for 480p and 16x9? Sure the voice comm is great but hardly an equalizer. I tell you the PC is calling me back to it for PC gaming

14. EdR

EdR Second Unit

It was the Powell Street store in San Francisco.

15. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I agree. I think it's pathetic how few games offer a 16:9 option these days. More and more gamers own widescreen tvs these days and many tvs (like mine) offer a 16:9 squeeze option. You would think Micrsoft would think of this stuff and put the stupid option in ALL of their new games. They always talk about how they're "cutting edge technology" and yet they can't offer widescreen options for the people who can take advantage of it. End rant! [​IMG]

Dan.B

16. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"You would think Micrsoft would think of this stuff and put the stupid option in ALL of their new games."

Agreed. Especially since they tend to tout the Xbox for its advanced technology...By the way, I don't really think you mean to say that the option itself is "stupid," do you?

17. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

For those of you on last night here are the video's from the jump in DC, enjoy.

MM1
    MM2
    MM3
    MM4
    MM5
    MM6

18. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

After playing last night, my opinions of Midtown are definitely 'ehhh'. Had I played Midtown without ever seeing Midnight Club II, I'm sure I'd be having more fun. As it stands now though, Midtown is pretty blah.

Some criticisms:

- Single player campaign is dull. You go from delivery car, to taxi cab, to some other slow car. After winning faster and faster sports cars in MC II, this is a bit dull.

- The graphics are a bit cartoony, which is fine. I can't forgive the ghost trees and other ghost objects. To many sprite looking trees, that have no mass. Want to drive through the park? No problem, go right through the trees. Of course, 1 in 20 or so trees actually has mass and will stop you... Cars look okay, but not as detailed as the MC II ones. They are real cars, but how exciting is a real minivan or station wagon? Some of the souped up cars you have to unlock look fun though. After playing Midtown, I have a new appreciation for Midnight Club II's graphics, and how fast the game moves. However, its nice to race in daylight in Midtown.

- If I had to guess, I'd say Midtown has a lot more accurate cities, but I'm not terribly familiar with any of them.

- Cars handle a bit more arcadey then MC II, which is fine. They jump around a bit more, and bounce more then MC II. Just a different style.

- MC II has some cool 'moves', like getting on 2 wheels for cars, nitrous, drafting (slipstream) which seems to be missing for Midtown.

Haven't played online yet, but the slower speed could be fun, as well as the more floaty physics.

So, after a night, Midtown is the poor man's Midnight Club II. Its a lot easier then MC II (which some will like) and Midtown isn't as intense.

Pre- MC II, Midtown is probably an 8/10. After MC II, its a 6 or 7/10.

19. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Scott "E",

Thanks for posting those videos! I had a great time last night. Well worth losing sleep over [​IMG]

Mike D.

20. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Just want to say that this is a really, really fun game. I just got my Xbox about three weeks ago and MIDTOWN MADNESS 3 is the most fun I've had! What a blast! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]