What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dani (Florence Pugh) has just experienced extreme trauma when her bipolar sister kills herself and takes their parents out with her in a murder/suicide. Because Dani was already withdrawn before that, her boyfriend Christian (Jack Reynor) has been venting to his buddies Mark (Will Poulter), Josh (William Jackson Harper) and Pelle (Vilhelm Blomgren) who try to get him to break up with her. Instead, when Dani learns that Christian is planning to travel with his bros to Sweden to participate in Pelle’s communal Hårga celebration of Midsommar, which only takes place every 90 years, she takes him up on his halfhearted invitation to join them.
On arrival the Americans decide to start the festivities by taking magic mushrooms. Dani, already emotionally imbalanced, has a bad trip where she keeps feeling persecuted by the commune/cult and sees her sister recreate the killing of their parents. Later in the vacation the group witnesses an Ättestupa, where seniors ritually commit suicide...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I enjoyed reading your review - it's refreshing that not every home video review praises films that have otherwise generally received good reviews. I'll be picking up the 4K disc version, when it's released in Italy in november. I also includes the Director's Cut, which I haven't seen. I like the cover for that release - it's so much better than the US theatrical poster!
81IoLVvIkxL._SY500_.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 399

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Martin Scorsese enthused about Midsommar in the latest edition of EMPIRE magazine: "The editing, the camera moves - glorious! And the image of her in the flowers? My God!"

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Nice review Sam. The lead actress was excellent. I liked the movie, great visuals, could have been about twenty minutes shorter though. The original Wicker Man still can't be beat in the pagan movie genre.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I enjoyed reading your review - it's refreshing that not every home video review praises films that have otherwise generally received good reviews. I'll be picking up the 4K disc version, when it's released in Italy in november. I also includes the Director's Cut, which I haven't seen. I like the cover for that release - it's so much better than the US theatrical poster!
View attachment 64273

I hope the US special edition looks like that!

Martin Scorsese enthused about Midsommar in the latest edition of EMPIRE magazine: "The editing, the camera moves - glorious! And the image of her in the flowers? My God!"

It IS beautifully shot. And the cinematography is beyond criticism. It's NOT a good movie.

Nice review Sam. The lead actress was excellent. I liked the movie, great visuals, could have been about twenty minutes shorter though. The original Wicker Man still can't be beat in the pagan movie genre.

Agreed, Pugh is awesome. And it needs an editor, not an indulgent 30 minute longer version!

I have never seen Wicker Man, it's on my to do list!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For more amazing Florence Pugh, search for Lady Macbeth (2016). Awesome performance in an excellent film. The story has nothing to do with Shakespeare, but with the Russian story, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, set in England.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I interpret the fact that Sam didn't like it to bode well for me possibly enjoying it. :welcome:

I'm definitely tempted to buy it on iTunes, since the extended version is included, and the price is very reasonable, at $15. Movies like this can be a matter of mood. You need to be in the right one to appreciate it, sometimes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I interpret the fact that Sam didn't like it to bode well for me possibly enjoying it. :welcome:

I'm definitely tempted to buy it on iTunes, since the extended version is included, and the price is very reasonable, at $15. Movies like this can be a matter of mood. You need to be in the right one to appreciate it, sometimes.
On sale for $9.99. FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks