What's new

Mgm-here This Out! Here's A Petition For A Widescreen Charly (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I know there's a lot of kids in school that don't know the difference between full screen and widescreen. At the same time, these kids are reading Flowers For Algernon in school and at some point are shown the movie to see the proper difference between film and literature and how an adaptation cinematically can be faithful or very different.
Many of those schools have upgraded from VHS to DVD.

At first I was pleased at the announcement that Charly (I read the book I had seen the wonderful movie) was going to be released by MGM on DVD. The bad news was that it was going to be released full frame not widescreen as intended. Here's is a clear cut case of a film that needs the wide treatment being that the film was filmed in Technoscope and in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. A lot of activity will be lost and the viewing experience will not be the same in full frame.

If anyone from MGM is reading this, it's not too late to do an about face and release this title the way it was meant to be seen in a widescreen format.

I implore anyone from MGM or anyone on this forum to speak their mind for this title. I have been waiting many years from the CBS/Fox days to Anchor Bay and now to this. I've waited too long to see this film wide and I won't rest until it is done so properly.

I encourage any comments from both sides and if you truly care for a title, it can make the difference wasting a title and giving it better treatment than a VHS Rental.

Thank you

Christopher Bligh

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
MGM please reconsider and release the Academy Award Winning CHARLY in its original aspect ratio 2.35:1. It is a beautifully photographed film that would be completely ruined if released Pan and Scan and will result in "no sale" from me!
"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" also better be released 2.35:1!!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I completely agree. I, too, have been waiting to see CHARLY in widescreen for many years now. Please, MGM, release the film on DVD in its proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. A great film that, at the very least, deserves this treatment. I will never buy a "full-screen" version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While MGM sort of has to go with whatever Buena Vista/Capitol Cities/etc provided them.... Criterion was able to retransfer Spellbound, Notorious, Rebecca, and Straw Dogs for their DVD's (in HD, no less). For a movie such as Charly, an OAR, HD-sourced DVD should NOT be such a big deal. For a Techniscope (or any other wide-frame film) to be presented on DVD in anything other than its original aspect ratio is simply a wasted opportunity.

Besides making a new 16x9 DVD from an HD transfer.... Cliff Robertson is still extremely proud of his role as Charly. MGM should seriously consider approaching him to do a commentary for the film. Yeah, it should be BV's job, but MGM has the responsibility to actually SELL the DVD now.

Basically, MGM needs to cancel the pending DVD and start working on something people will actually look forward to purchasing. Also, by just making a pristine 2.35:1 transfer ofr the DVD and perhaps adding a commentary... this could be a very anticipated and treasured DVD.

I'll look forward to a DVD that presents the film in its intended format, but not what MGM is currently trying to sell. Also, if MGM can do right with this title, it gives one less project Warner Home Video may have to correct later on, given the likely purchase.

MGM, make something that Warner would be more than happy to release as part of their vintage catalog titles!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Certainly I would have no interest in a pan and scan edition of this or any other movie. This one is destined for the $5.88 bin at Wal Mart if the specs aren't changed.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't buy any DVD's that are not OAR widesreen if that is the way the source was originally filmed. There are some early stuff, made for tv that was 4:3 but thats the exception. I can't beleive that with HD right around the corner and the 16x9 format becoming so prevalent in the coming few years that ANY studio would mess with 4:3 crap. When HD DVD comes out it's going to make their 4:3 masters worthless.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy to note the signature count is up to 80, thanks again to everyone that has signed and everyone in advance that would like to sign.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have a widescreen R2 DVD of "Charly" and having watched it last night, it is inconceivable to me to view it in a pan and scan version. The composition of the characters in regards to the cinematography is essential to the film. Once again I implore MGM to reconsider!!!

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
is Patrick's banner a thing of beauty or what?

The magic number is 89

Keep em coming, all of you are great

Thanks again

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Consider the petition signed. #89.

MGM do the right thing & release Charly in its original 2.35:1 ratio, other wise I will just walk right by it when it hits the shelves.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
as of yesterday, we officially hit triple digits 2 weeks after the petition went official. The number is now at 105. Thanks to everybody and lets keep it coming. Every little bit helps, thanks again

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I did some checking on the online retailers and according to Deep Discount DVD and DVD Planet, the date for Charly's release is March 15th, 2005

Buy.com has the date as December 2005

Amazon.com and MGM have not changed the date but the majority of retailers still having the title removed and with this this surprising change from those three, this is looking like possibly great news that there can be time enough at last for a wide version of this movie.

Thanks again all that have signed and all that have not and still support our cause for this film.

151 have signed so far and if those reports from those retailers are correct, this is great news.

Anybody who hasn't signed yet can still go to

www.petitiononline.com/Axman

and put in your two cents for this great cause

Thanks again everybody

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
As the year 2004 comes to a close, I wish all of you who signed or viewed this thread a very happy new year. There have been some new developments since the last time I wrote.

1. An article relating to the petition will be in the NY Times Magazine February 13th.

2. The date for the release of Charly has moved up from March 15th to March 8th

3. If you go to mgm.com and looking up the title Charly you look up the "Get it at Best Buy" link], you will notice that on the title it has in parenthesis "WIDESCREEN SUBTITLED"

proof positive that what we set out to do for the petition is so far a success unless we're told differently. Once Again I thank all of you for taking the time to sign, say a few words and show your continued support for this great cause. It's looking like 2005 is going to be a very good year. Once more, it's looking like the year of Charly.
Thank you again
http://www.mgm.com/additem.do?upc=027616912015&mgmcatid=1007059 [URL

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
As the year 2004 comes to a close, I wish all of you who signed or viewed this thread a very happy new year. There have been some new developments since the last time I wrote.

1. An article relating to the petition will be in the NY Times Magazine February 13th.

2. The date for the release of Charly has moved up from March 15th to March 8th

3. If you go to mgm.com and looking up the title Charly you look up the"Get it at Best Buy" link, you will notice that on the title it has in parenthesis "WIDESCREEN SUBTITLED"

proof positive that what we set out to do for the petition is so far a success unless we're told differently. Once Again I thank all of you for taking the time to sign, say a few words and show your continued support for this great cause. It's looking like 2005 is going to be a very good year. Once more, it's looking like the year of Charly.
Thank you again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks