What's new

Merged James Bond DVD Set?? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It looks like these are probably to be replacements for any and all existing soundtracks on DVD now. How far out these remixes will go, I have no idea. Perhaps at least the Connery, Whatshisface, Moore era.

It would be a big waste of money to get the sets now if somebody didn't buy these films before on DVD, only to have a newer super-duper edition come around next year, or even the year after that.

Dan

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Has ANYBODY watched the re-released Licence To Kill yet? Has the audio problem been fixed?

Surely SOMEBODY has checked this out....!!

John

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I was watching Tomorrow Never Dies earlier today and there seemed to be a scene where subtitles had been removed??? Anyone else seen this?

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping somebody can give me some quick advice. Earlier in this thread I talked about how to exchange Octopussy, NSNA and Living Daylights. Jim-M and Dimitry were very helpful and I'm sure others would have helped if those two hadn't answered. I need to hear some more about your experiences.

I got home from a business trip several days ago and while I was gone UPS came by at the request of MGM to pick up my discs I want to exchange. While I appreciate MGM doing that, they didn't give me any advance warning and I missed all three attempts. I e-mailed MGM again and explained what happened and asked what exactly I needed to send them. Well, UPS came back again today but I still haven't heard anything from MGM, so I'm hoping somebody can answer my question before UPS returns on Monday.

What I'm wanting to know is what exactly do I send and how do I send it? Do I just send the bare discs or do I send the cases also? If it is just the discs, do I just throw them in an envelope for UPS to pick up?

Appreciate any experiences you can relay.

Thanks.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Yep, just send them the disc and the case. It'll take a couple of weeks for return, but they were very quick with mine.
Man With the Golden Gun had a problem running on DVD Rom drives and progressive scan players. If you haven't had a problem with it, I wouldn't worry about returning it. Just wanted to mention it though.

Manoj

Auditioning
Hi I'm new to this thread.

I was wondering if anyone knew or noticed that Licence To kill and Live and let Die have poorer picture quality thaen others. There is too much shimmering throughout the dvds.

The reason being is that these two were compressed laser visual centre rather then the Digital Compression centre like all the others.

Does anyone have any idea if these two will be remastered again by any chance.

Christopher D

Second Unit
All right, I was a sucker today. I bought the new box from Best Buy even though I already had all of the titles. I did this because 1) the completist in me was dying for the Best Buy bonus DVD, and 2) with the $15 discount on it accompanying the purchase of the new video game, the price came to $65. I figured for that much, I could have a couple of extra copies and sell some of the titles to make back most of the cost.

A couple of notes. First, the Best Buy DVD isn't a lot to write home about, but it does have a couple of features of note. The Q features that are advertised as the main attractions aren't really features -- just a strung together series of clips. But two things save this from being a disappointment, both of them hidden in the "Bond DVD Sampler," which actually is not a trailer but parts of the actual special features from each of the rest of the DVDs. Thus, this DVD has one theatrical trailer from *every* Bond movie on it (including the teaser for Die Another Day). It also has the entire "Tribute to Desmond Llewelyn" video that was on the R2 version of "The World is Not Enough" but did not make it to the R1 version. These two items made it worth the trouble.

Second, and probably more importantly, it appears that Licence to Kill *has* been fixed! Carey Lowell now says "what are you waiting for, get in!" at the same time she gestures. Can someone else confirm I'm not imagining this?

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for Die Another Day to come out before I buy a Bond Box Set - even though I was tempted by that new one.;)

Manoj

Auditioning
christopher d is the print for licence to kill the same as before or slightly better.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
christopher d is the print for licence to kill the same as before or slightly better.
It appears to be the same print, but with the dialogue problem fixed. Strange that the film doesn't look any better since a) it's obviously a new pressing and b) it must have been struck from a newer master than the original disc (hence the corrected dialogue).

John

Manoj

Auditioning
Licence to kil and Live and let die were mastered by Laser pacific digital centre where as all the others were done by a better digital company: The digital compression centre.

Thats why there is a discrepancy in the picture qualities.

There is a lot of shimmering.

Manoj

Auditioning
Thats why I was hoping they might have redone it again using the Digital media compression centre.

The way you can tell is when the mgm logo appears at the beginning. It is large rather then small like in the other movies.

by checking the end of the film too it will tell which company compressed it.

Let me know if you have a look

Thanks

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I recall it being a problem. Will MGM exchange the disc for those of us who bought the DVD's the first time around???

Manoj

Auditioning
How on earth will we do this , mgm don't even answer our emails to them. I have queried problem dvds to them before.

Christopher D

Second Unit
I honestly don't know what they would do on the exchange. They were fairly liberal the first time around (in fact, they sent me back Never Say Never Again along with the rest when I never exchanged or even bought it), but since this doesn't seem to have been an acknowledged update, who knows. I'll be interested to see what they do for y'all, but I guess I got this taken care of for my $65 as well as the Best Buy DVD. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks