What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Memento? Which version to buy? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I know the original Memento DVD, as I've rented that long ago. I also see that there appear to be TWO other 2-disc versions? Is this correct? Whats the deal? I saw this on Amazon. Which version is the most desirable and which version has the option to play the movie in chronological order rather than normal, all without programming it yourself.

thanx :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DannyS

Second Unit
get both if your a fan. like me. :) BUT if you must have one, go for the limited edition "folder" set. The menus' alone are worth the purchase. This one has the play backward option. Which I would strongl advise against watching

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
This one has the play backward option. Which I would strongl advise against watching
i would only strongly suggest against watching it FIRST. obviously its not the correct way to view the film, but i think its a fun way to see it, given how it was originally intended to be seen.

CJ

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Definetely go for the two-disc. The picture (from what I've read online) is better than the single disc, and there's a lot of cool extra content.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No one is answering the real question:

I also see that there appear to be TWO other 2-disc versions?
AFAIK, there's only one 2-disc version -- the so-called "limited edition" with the bluish cover that looks like a hospital folder. It's the superior version of the film, but be warned: The menus are like a puzzle, and if you lack the patience for this sort of thing, you'd be well-advised to get a cheat sheet for accessing the various features. There used to be one posted here; if it's still around, the search function should find it.

M.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Amazon.ca has two versions of the LE, one from Columbia and one from Alliance. I imagine the content is identical.

Here are the instructions for accessing the chronological version on disc two.

The LE has rather unusual packaging that I feel is actually a clue to Leonard's past: He probably was in a mental institution at some point, but he escaped, or was released, possibly with help from Teddy. And Teddy, despite taking advantage of Leonard's condition to have Jimmy Grantz killed, is the one person Leonard can really trust.

The chronological version (which you should certainly watch) works quite well as a dramatic narrative. But it's very different. We look at certain characters at certain points in very different lights.

Like in the scene where Leonard kills Teddy: In the regular version of the film, there is a sense of dread as Teddy approaches Leonard from behind. The audience is looking at Teddy as the man who killed Leonard's wife and we're a bit afraid of him because of that. But in the chronological version, the exact same scene gives us a sense of dread from the fact that Leonard is going to kill his only friend because of a few incorrect notes.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Definetely go for the two-disc. The picture (from what I've read online) is better than the single disc, and there's a lot of cool extra content.
It is better. The 2-disc set has a great transfer. And don't forget the DTS track.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The picture quality on the two disc set is simply stunning to say the least. Reference quality all the way. And the DTS sound is great too, but the pic is in the top DVDs ever for me.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Chris, your local Wal-Mart (and the one in Pickering) has the Alliance version of the 2-disc for in the $25 range. Contrary to what is shown on amazon.ca, the cover has the black spine, like the U.S. version. And so does the Alliance version I have...maybe there's a new packaging (it sure is expensive).

Great movie, great packaging. No cheat-sheet really needed...pay attention to the menus as they cycle...the choices become "obvious".

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hey Craig, nice to hear from another local durham home theatre dvd enthusiast.

Ok, so the two disc versions are identical eh? Darn....I have been thinking of boycotting Walmart the world gobbler, but I'll consider this an exception. ;)

I don't think I can explain in words why I like this movie so much...except that the sets, the clothing and so much of the story gives me such a strong feeling of place that I identify with, and yet, I've never been there...a place in California I imagine. The scene where he burns the photo just gives me the weirdest feeling. When I feel weird that way when I view scenes, its not completely unlike deja-vu. Of course its not "my" deja-vu, but rather, I like to call it, "my hijacked nostalgia"...It makes me feel nostalgic about something in my memory, but I just take those images and sounds and use them as my own. Like when he returns to the car, the sound of the ambience and the car alarm at night, or is it morning? Its been a long time since I last saw it. Anyways...sorry for the weird tangent, but this movie has an effect on me beyond the story and the characters, its the overall feeling...I like it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I noticed Indigo.ca has some wacked prices for some DVD's but Memento SE and Pulp Fiction SE are at least a few bucks less than Future Shop...but thats Indigo's sale.. :frowning:

JoeMKal

Stunt Coordinator
I got the limited edition and I hate the menu system, it's such a chore to get through all the crap to get where you want, the only redeeming quality to the 2 disc set is the ability to play the movie chronologically, which imo is a gimmick, the movie was not meant to be watched that way, it just doesn't seem to flow well, it does however clear up the timeline a little bit

so if you're anything like me I would suggest buying the original release, and if you are a huge fan of the movie maybe get the LE, or possibly both

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Get the limited edition. I don't really find the menus that annoying, i get a laugh out of them everytime. Plus the picture and sound is excellent.

Oh, my paperclip color is White.:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Gordy

It is a re release of Following and I am looking forward to see it at last.

Lat year at the EFF, I attended the masterclass with regards to Insomnia

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks